Start by marking “Bag Bazaar: 25 Stylish Bags to Sew in an Afternoon” as Want to Read:
Bag Bazaar: 25 Stylish Bags to Sew in an Afternoon

Bag Bazaar: 25 Stylish Bags to Sew in an Afternoon

2.58 of 5 stars 2.58  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Handbags are hotter than ever— but so are their designer price tags. There’s never been a better time to sew your own fashionable bags, and it has never been easier with designer Megan Avery as your teacher. In Bag Bazaar, Avery presents 25 bags that even a sewing newbie can handle, in a variety of styles sure to match any look.

For years, Avery has hosted bag-making worksh...more
Published November 18th 2008 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Bag Bazaar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bag Bazaar

Trena
I do not give a high rating to this book. The biggest issue is that I don't think the author spent much time thinking about who the audience would be. It seems aimed at beginners and includes *fairly* good introductory information on basic techniques, if sparse (particularly for a welted zipper).

But the instructions for the actual projects are almost entirely written, and contain very few diagrams. No matter how good your technical writing is, it is difficult to convey sewing instructions witho...more
JayeL
Sep 06, 2009 JayeL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I mentioned the introduction in my review of Simply Sublime Bags 30 No Sew Low Sew Projects as being one of the highlights of that book. In this book, the introduction is perfunctory and fairly generic. However there is a section on basic bag making techniques, which I think I really stellar. I especially like the part on creating zippered pockets and making gussets. These hints are very useful!

My favorite project is the Bailey Baby Tote. I don't have a baby, but it could be modified very slight...more
Marjanne
Have I mentioned that I've been sewing a lot lately? I checked this out for some more inspiration. There are some good patterns and instructions here. I have not read the instructions in detail yet, so even though the author notated the skill level for each pattern, I'm not sure how they translate to me yet. A lot of the bags are basics, which is nice and there are instructions on how to make custom bags as well. The biggest thing I didn't like it that there were no actually pictures of the bags...more
Lesli
19 projects. In book templates instead of pull out patterns. No photos -- sketches instead. Very little in the way of instructions.
Maggie
My daughter liked this one more than I did.
Kerry
One thing a book like this needs is excellent photographs. To me, craft books are like cook books - if the images are terrible or non-existent then the book is not helpful for me. They are what sell the book more than anything. The images in this book are so terrible that I didn't even begin to read the instructions to decide if they were any good or not!
Love love love this book. I got it from the library, and have to keep checking it out because it is so convenient. I'm not an experienced sewer, but was able to make a few tote bags and a clutch using these easy to follow instructions. I love the style of the bags too :) Now I just need to buy the darn book!
Tracey
adult nonfiction; sewing. Avery does a good job of teaching the basics to bag-making and provides plenty of lovely projects to sew. If you are inclined to making your own bags and purses, this is a excellent place to start.
Jocelynne Broderick
Found a bag finally! I'm annoyed by the photos of the bags cuz they aren't actual photos, more like ink drawings with the fabric photos placed inside. So we shall see how it goes.
Snow
Has some good tips for bag creation, but the lack of photographs is frustrating. Cutsie illustrations are not what I want from a craft book.
Kim
Had a lot of potential but the cartoon drawings didn't help on the appeal of making these bags.
Ashlee Ward
Cute bags, but the lack of templates and actual pictures leaves me less than impressed
Syed Muhammad
Syed Muhammad marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Rhea St.louis
Rhea St.louis marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Julie
Julie added it
Oct 21, 2012
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Elizabeth Alley
Elizabeth Alley marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Lesley
Lesley added it
Oct 21, 2011
Shamella
Shamella marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2011