Start by marking “Fortunately” as Want to Read:
Fortunately

Fortunately

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  769 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews

Fortunately, Ned was invited to a surprise party.

Unfortunately, the party was a thousand miles away.

Fortunately, a friend loaned Ned an airplane.

Unfortunately, the motor exploded.

Fortunately, there was a parachute in the airplane.

Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute.

What else could go wrong as Ned tries to get to the party? Readers will cheer as Ned's luc

Published March 31st 1993 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Fortunately, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortunately

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
142nd out of 1,873 books — 1,218 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
120th out of 506 books — 541 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Nov 16, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: glass half empty types who have a sense of humor; kids with birthdays; everybody
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Ha ha ha ha ha. Oh, How I love this book. It had been lost in my sea of to-read books until a (non-Goodreads) friend mentioned it to me last night. Fortunately, my branch library had a copy on their shelves and I borrowed it this morning. (Unfortunately, I’ll have to return the book since the library owns it and I don’t own a copy.)

I think this book is hilarious. The story with happenings that go between fortunately and unfortunately (good luck vs. bad luck) is very funny and the accompanying il
Emily
Feb 21, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The main character Ned is a fortunate individual when he receives an invitation to a surprise party. However, as he endeavors to attend the party, fortune is not always his friend. A fantastic journey ensues as Ned encounters a connected string of situations that alternate between impeding or advancing his mission. Illustrations mirror these varying circumstances: full color spreads pleasantly depict fortunate events while black and white images portray unfortunate circumstances. So consistent i ...more
Manik Sukoco
Jan 01, 2016 Manik Sukoco rated it really liked it
I have read this to my Kindergarten classes. The kids love this book. It is a fun way to teach the meaning of the words "Fortunately" and "Unfortunately." The children love to comment on what might happen next. As a teacher it is a great way to get students writing their own story with the same formula. Children love to hear it again and again.
Jen
Mar 07, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime, silly
Fortunately the illustrations switch from color to black and white.
Unfortunately the illustrations look a little dated.
Fortunately the book shows opposites in a very clear way.

Overall, a cute book and so beloved that it has been reprinted since 1961.
Matthew
Apr 05, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun story about a poor guy named Ned (who apparently has been jinxed or something), and all he wants to do is go to the party he was invited to. He runs into several debacles through out his journey, but will that stop him from getting to the party? I loved this book, I thought the story was creative, and I really enjoyed the pictures. I especially liked the contrast in color with the pictures, it would be bright and colorful when Ned was fortunate, and grey and dull when he ran ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jan 11, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Remy Charlip is a choreographer, dancer, poet, artist and children's book author. He's also one of my favorite authors of children's books.

His books are surreal and playful. Fortunately builds on a series of events much like The House the Jack Built nursery rhyme. Each new event poses a new problem that requires a solution. The problem comes with "unfortunately" and the solution is provided with "fortunately."

The basic story follow's Ned's travels from New York to Florida to attend a party he ha
Fred
Aug 28, 2012 Fred rated it it was amazing
I love this book. What a good idea, what a good drawing of sharks at the chase (and tigers crouching through a hole underground). What a shame that Remy Charlip had the idea in 1964, before I was even a gleam in my father's crew cut.

My 4 year old loves it, but I decided to ask him what "fortunately" means. His answer: "Like us." Huh, said I? What does unfortunately mean? "Black [and white]." In other words, he inferred from the illustration switches that is what these words mean! ("Like us," mea
Jeremy
Dec 23, 2015 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Remy Charlip's classic picture book is silly, fun and colourful, but it contains so much more than mere fun. In fact, I think it can be used to teach children about the ying-yang of fortune and misfortune:

Fortunately, Ned was invited to a surprise party.

Unfortunately, the party was a thousand miles away.

Fortunately, a friend loaned Ned an airplane.

Unfortunately, the motor exploded.

Fortunately, there was a parachute in the airplane.

Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute.

And on the dance
Crystal
Feb 20, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Just read this book and am sending to my brother-in-law Ned. My husband said that Ned had this book when he was a child and wanted to send it to him to bring back childhood memories. Ned, in this children's book navigates the ups and downs of life with resourcefulness and this would be a great read for any child passed the age of 5.
Jamie
Mar 12, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Fortunately, this book was fantastic!
Unfortunately, we have to return it to the library.

My kids and I LOVED this book. It just fits our sense of humor. This is one I'd love to own.
Joan
Jan 17, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing
This is lots of fun for kids. I'm going to use June's ideas of explaining the word and thumbs up/down
Miss Jessica
Mar 20, 2013 Miss Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I wish this book were three times as long, because it's kinda hilarious and messed up.
Vivian
Feb 11, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I first encountered this book at an elementary school where students had written and illustrated their own Fortunately / Unfortunately scenario and they were displayed on the hall wall. What a terrific prompt for creative writing!

It works well in a pre-school story time at the library and was an ideal addition to our theme of FALLING this week. We have two story performers. One did the FORTUNATELY pages and the other did the UNFORTUNATELY pages while leading the children in pantomimes of swimmin
Amy Forrester
Dec 07, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Ned is an extremely lucky or unlucky person; it all depends on how you look at it. He’s very fortunate to be invited to a surprised party…unfortunately the party is in faraway Florida and Ned is in New York! Every step in Ned’s journey to the party is riddled with flip-flopping luck. His friend loans him an airplane, but the motor explodes. He lands safely in the water, but there are sharks! Finally, Ned arrives at the party. “And fortunately the party was for him, because fortunately it was his ...more
Kaitlin Moriarty
Dec 10, 2014 Kaitlin Moriarty rated it it was amazing
We read this book in my Principles of Teaching and Learning course. I liked the book because of the contrast in the illustrations. It had the unfortunately parts in black and white and the fortunately illustrations in color. I liked this because it showed the emotions associated with the two vocabulary words. It is also a good book to concretely teach kids the meaning behind those two words.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Fun book, funny and simple. Some of it was almost frightening: Dude is on the verge of death multiple times! But it made the kids laugh. I think it's useful to talk about how this is a pretend book before any of the scary stuff starts happening -- such as when he gets in the airplane. How many kids have their own airplane that they fly themselves? So now that we know that this book is silly . . . he almost dies. While I don't want to encourage kids to hurt each other, I think children are pretty ...more
Hillary
Oct 13, 2014 Hillary rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-355
This is fantastic and sure to have any boys and girls, (including adults), who read it bursting with laughter! It's so great to show that bad things can bring good things, and that's okay! I loved the creativity, and from now on I will have to catch myself from saying, "unfortunately," anytime something goes wrong!
Linda
Jul 24, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books as a child and as a parent.
Poor Ned. Lucky Ned! It was gratifying as a young child to learn such a sophisticated word, and to pass that feeling along to my young children in such a funny and exciting tale.
South Country Library Children's Department
Another childhood favorite of mine, and based on a recent reading of it at an elementary school, kids still love it. The situations the boy gets into are totally implausible, but the kids realize that it's supposed to be a funny, outrageous book.
Shoshana G
Jun 08, 2014 Shoshana G rated it really liked it
This book, alternating between the fortunate and unfortunate things befalling Ned on his way to a party in Florida, is very funny, but I worry that the illustrations are too dated too appeal to most kids. I'm definitely going to try it at an upcoming storytime though, just to see how it goes!
June
Jan 26, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: birthday requests
Recommended to June by: Peggy
Told in alternating spreads of Ned's adventures after he fortunately receives a birthday invitation, unfortunately he is in New York and the party is in Florida. I usually start be asking if anyone knows what "fortunately" means and then tell them unfortunately means something bad happens. I then have them put thumbs up for the good things and thumbs down for the bad. 1/9/12

Used this again for my birthday/MLK program. One mother liked it so much she took it to check out. 1/16/13

Used again and ha
Tammy
Mar 27, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I can imagine this book isn't for everyone, but my son and I sat on the edges of our seats just waiting to see what would happen when we turned the page, and then belly laughed at the crazy turn of events.
Leslie
Mar 20, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun,if slightly, dark children's book written and illustrated as if by Wes Anderson. I'd be curious if Wes Anderson was inspired by this.
Buunny
Apr 29, 2016 Buunny rated it it was amazing
Great black comedy for children. Little boy receives a strange invitation to a party and almost dies before he gets there.
Erin
Oct 10, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 02-fantasy
This was a very fun book. I can see why kids love this and want it read over and over again. The scenarios are quite funny.
Minju
I remember reading this book when I was in grade 1! Gosh, what a memory when I saw the cover of this book.
Meredith
Mar 26, 2016 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: lesson-plan
Will use with Fortunately, Unfortunately and have the kids make up their own stories.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it really liked it
Loved it. Pictures are from 1964 era, but an excellent book especially for story time.
Mell
Have fond memories of my elementary school's librarian reading this to us.
Adam Smith
Aug 08, 2014 Adam Smith rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, kids, caretakers
Recommended to Adam by: my wife
This book is so funny! Makes me laugh every time. If you can't find one at your library, you can get your own copy here: http://amzn.to/X7AI6c
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Re-Zoom
  • The Tree House
  • Hattie and the Fox
  • The Bog Baby
  • Pouch!
Abraham 'Remy' Charlip (born January 10, 1929) is an American artist, writer, choreographer, theatre director, designer, and teacher.

He studied art at Straubenmuller Textile High School in Manhattan and fine arts at Cooper Union in New York, graduating in 1949.

In the 1960s, Charlip created a unique form of choreography, which he calls "air mail dances". He sends a set of drawings to a dance compan
More about Remy Charlip...

“Do not confront me with my failures, I have not forgotten them. - Nico (Royal Tenenbaums)” 2 likes