Management Rev Ed

Management Rev Ed

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The essential book on management from the man who invented the discipline

Now completely revised and updated for the first time
Published April 22nd 2008 by HarperBusiness (first published January 1st 1985)

Good to Great by Jim CollinsThe Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Best books for business
48th out of 118 books — 172 voters
How by Dov SeidmanThe New Rules of Marketing and PR by David Meerman ScottMaestro by Roger NierenbergMore Sex Is Safer Sex by Steven E. LandsburgReflections on Life S Roller Coaster Rides by Dwayne M. Kilbourne
2011 DW Good Reading
12th out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Gene Babon
No manager worth her weight should be allowed to manage people, projects or businesses without a fundamental understanding of the teachings of Peter Drucker, The Man Who Invented Management. Management Rev Ed captures a lifetime of Drucker's principles in one legacy guide book on the practice of management.

The original text was published in 1973. This revised edition integrates Drucker's findings from then until his passing in 2005 at age 95. At more than 500 pages it is comprehensive, yet easy...more
Stephen Wong
I read this about 18 years ago, from my dad's library. I saw the revised edition at the bookstore today. Yes, it's the classic tome. I believe it has influenced me in subtle ways. Worth a re-read.
Bob Wallner
Feb 22, 2014 Bob Wallner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business Leaders
I listened to the Audio version of Management as so many people have listed this as THE BOOK on management. I had read this for my business undergrad, but by not being in the workforce, it didn't mean much.

So much of my reading focus has been on leadership and leading people. This book reminds us that there is so much more to all businesses than simply Leading. Processes, Focus, Vision, etc need to be managed.

Many reviews can get into the meat and potatoes of what Management is about. I would pr...more
Matt
Jun 08, 2010 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Managment
Drucker has been a recent discovery for me. The clarity he brings to the role of manager at any level is refreshing. Though I would recommend the Essential Drucker as an intro.
Lucas
So much information I haven't found elsewhere. A must re-read, although there's a lot at the beginning (and some scattered throughout) that is more philosophical and less actionable. Also too long to properly summarize.

The theory of the business has 3 parts:
1) Assumptions about the environment of the organization (society and its structure, the market, the customer, and technology). These define what the organization expects it can be paid for.
2) Assumptions about the specific mission of the or...more
James Curcio
This book looks like it's going to make a nice doorstop. It's thick as someone's arm and written about a subject that most people-- including managers-- could seem to give a damn about. Management. What methods have been used, what is effective, and what is the social responsibility of a corporate entity?

Let's deal with that last one for a moment. Because this is the singular problem with this book. Drucker somehow makes the subject interesting, it is well researched, and there are many keen obs...more
Doug
Dec 22, 2011 Doug rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in management theory
WOW ... I can see why they say that this book is used in some colleges as class text books. It is written in that style, and while the subject matter is not exactly the stuff of legends, it is a fairly easy and (if you are interested in the topic of management in general) interesting read.

The book is laid out in a fairly straight forward fashion, with plenty of cross references to other chapters for follow up or review.

The examples listed are, for the most part, easy to understand. They are also...more
David E McClendon, Sr
Drucker attempts to give detailed information on many different areas of management. The book contains loads of information. Drucker provides his readers a detailed history of the field of management.
The reader also learns a good deal about different management structures and styles, and the need for companies to structure their organizations to allow for growth.
This book was a long read for me, primarily because this type of book is recreational reading for me and I have been busy of late. The...more
Peter Galamaga
One of the most valuable books I have ever read. My only regret - I am 48 - I wish I had read it 20 years ago.
Still - I can still use this as I map out the rest of my professional life and mentor others.
Shu Lindsey
"... an increasing number of people who are full-time employees have to be managed as if they were volunteers... What motivates -- and especially what motivates knowledge workers -- is what motivates volunteers. Volunteers, we know, have to get more satisfaction from their work than paid employees, precisely because they do not get a paycheck. They need, above all, challenge. They need to know the organization's mission and to believe in it. They need continuous training. They need to see result...more
Shawn
Long and slightly dry at times, but unparalleled in insight, depth and breadth.

The late Peter F. Drucker is a must-read author for any studious manager, and this specific title is one of his most recent (updated by a colleague and published in 2008) and broadest in scope.

Note: While the audio book is reportedly abridged, it is about 20 hours in length, so the abridgment should be very minimal.
J. Ewbank
This book is a classic in the field and should be read by anybody interested in management. Though old, it still contains information and ideas that are as current as this morning.

Any student of management has to come to grips with what Drucker has to say in this book.

A must read.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Ashok
While the original Management (1974) by Drucker is still a classic, this revised edition by Joseph A. Maciariello distills the monumental wisdom of Drucker (including his prolific output after 1974 - the year in which the original classic was written) into one readable book. Highly recommended - you can start with the summary from GetAbstract to get a hang of it.
Sam
This is so broad and yet it doesn't feel shallow. Each chapter covers a topic well (most topics are material for books on their own) without being overwhelming, or being superficial. It is a nice genera coverage.
Kimberly
Drucker at his best. Everything you need to know about managing others and yourself. The narrator could be a bit tedious at times but after 18 hours I am pretty sure I would grate on his nerves too.
Topcatperry
This book is brilliant. I would recommend this book to anybody who is a manager or has desire to be one. The material is a little dated now, but still completely relavant and easy to apply to business today.
Yukari
A few years ago, there's a boom of his writings in Japan. I think the translation of this book is easy to understand. The book tells what is important when we manage a variety of organizations.
Landry
Drucker, who invented the field of Management Theory, talks about his groundbreaking ideas. Recommended for managers, business owners, parents and teachers.
Natasa Tovornik
Well, I guess it is a must read for every businessperson. It does give a lot of insight, also a lot of things that I found already knew.
Jurgen Appelo
Great book, though a bit long. I took many, many notes, which shows I learned a lot from it. But the writing style was a bit dry.
Lori Grant
A should-read book by Peter Drucker on management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Gavin
Very long book. Full of wonderful insights into people and organizations.
Ben
So far the book has been great. It is just a very large read.
Preston Malone
Right up there with his "Practice of Management". See that review.
Bruce Flanagan
A classic that was well worth reading again
Itzehoe
somewhat dry but very informative
David
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Mangament
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • The Loss of the Ship Essex, Sunk by a Whale
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Civilisation
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Toyota Production System
  • Age of Unreason
  • The Management Myth: Management Consulting Past, Present & Largely Bogus
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Future of Management
12008
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer...more
More about Peter F. Drucker...
The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done The Essential Drucker Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles The Practice of Management Managing the Non-Profit Organization: Principles and Practices

“Leadership is not magnetic personality, that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not "making friends and influencing people", that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person's vision to higher sights, the raising of a person's performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.” 28 likes
“Psychological despotism, whether enlightened or not, is gross misuse of psychology. The main purpose of psychology is to acquire insight into, and mastery of, oneself. Not for nothing were what we now call the behavioral sciences originally called the moral sciences and “Know thyself” their main precept. To use psychology to control, dominate, and manipulate others is self-destructive abuse of knowledge. It is also a particularly repugnant form of tyranny.” 2 likes