Start by marking “The Middleman: The Collected Series Indispensability” as Want to Read:
The Middleman: The Collected Series Indispensability

The Middleman: The Collected Series Indispensability (The Middleman)

The three volumes of The Middleman--basis of the TV show on ABC Family this summer--is now offered in one explosive tome. They tell the complete story of Wendy Watson--art student turned crime-fighter for the world's most absurdly secretive organization--who battles monsters, aliens, and talking primates.
Published July 1st 2008 by Viper Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Middleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middleman

Erikka
Dec 18, 2014 Erikka rated it really liked it
Dubby, if you're reading this, you probably have either seen or heard of the painfully short-lived and amazing Middleman TV show. If you enjoyed that show, dig into the comic that started it all.

Volume one is literally verbatim the first episode, "The Pilot Episode Sanction." Like, it's the script set to comics. There's nothing I can say in a review to elucidate that point. And since that was a great starter episode for a series, it was also a fun read.

Volume two is pretty much "The Sino-Mexica
James
Oct 22, 2010 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, graphic-novels
I loved the short-lived series "The Middleman," a send-up of classic superhero tropes and other popular culture. So I sought out the comics on which it was based. Two of the three stories were familiar as they became actual episodes (although the comic has a bit more adult humor). Fun and entertaining.
Ben
Jun 21, 2010 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked this up because I had seen the TV series and was a big fan. The TV series was goofy and fun, about an employee for a secret organization and his sidekick who are called in to investigate aliens, the supernatural and anything else out of the ordinary. It's a bit like the X-Files, but with the emphasis on the corny and fun, rather than the serious and creepy.

This collection contains three limited series and several stand alone issues. The first two limited series were remade almost direct
Sunil
Jan 15, 2012 Sunil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2008
The Collected Series Indispensability contains all three volumes of The Middleman so far, and it's definitely worth checking out. There are some minor differences that may cause a little cognitive dissonance, but nothing huge. Wendy is Caucasian with red hair rather than Cuban with black hair, the Middleman is blond, and Noser is white. There's less Lacey and no Tyler. But other than that, the first volume (The Trade Paperback Imperative) is almost word-for-word, shot-for-shot the pilot, and the ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
After watching the TV series "The Middleman," I knew that I really wanted to read the comic book it was based on. Most of the storylines in this collected omnibus of all of the comic books were later used in the series, but I enjoyed seeing them again in comic book form with some additional material (and some special effects that are easier to draw than create for television). As a fan of the television series, it is fun to see how the concept of the characters and storylines either stayed the s ...more
Ali
Dec 08, 2014 Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was way more charming than I remembered from my first reading several years ago. I really enjoyed the sharp humour and silliness (one thing that stands out for me in particular is in the scene with all the luchadores, which also includes Wally/Waldo and Fozzie Bear in the crowd).

I didn't like the alternate ending or the Middleman-through-the-ages snippets at the end, which maybe soured the overall experience for me the first time around. The comics themselves are delightful.
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I loved the TV series based on this from summer of 2008 and had to see how it began. The three stories collected in this book did form the basis of three episodes. Definitely worth reading for fans of comic books or the TV show.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Pj
Oct 09, 2013 Pj rated it it was amazing
Okay. Like several of the others listed here, I came to this through the short lived TV series. The first two parts were word for word translated to the screen so it is only through the minor differences in character and the final third that the books contains things new. I wonder if other fans may miss things invented for the show. (Although it would be almost impossible to render in print I wanted the energy drink **** to be in the book.) That said, it's still a real hoot. This belongs to the ...more
Angel
Jan 29, 2016 Angel rated it it was amazing
Loved this which i bought after falling totally for hte TV show. Sad about how it ended though! And I'm not quite to the end but where's the Middleman's love he was pinning for?! I so thought it was mentioned in here....
Alan
Apr 17, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
I wanted to go to the source material for the ABC Family network show that I had seen so many positive reviews for. Do I think its great? No, but it is a pleasant read, and I found more enjoyment with the last installment that told tales of The Middleman in different settings (sword & sorcery, steampunk and WWII). If you like MIB (both the movie and the comic that spawned it) you'll likely enjoy this. Also, a little more time is spent trying to develop the characters than MIB the comic did.
Michelle Morrell
Wendy Watson is a typical struggling artist when a close call with a disaster of comic book proportions brings her to the attention of The Middleman, who ropes her into being his assistant and Middleman in training. Clever writing and bizarre situations ensue.

This came to my attention thanks to the woefully short-lived tv series. I actually like the series better than the comics, but both are a fun ride.
Cristina
Sep 06, 2009 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book
Almost at the end of this fine comic series and I can't stop from being saddened. I first saw the tv series on ABC Family, thought it had a comic book feel and lo and behold it was a comic book! Same on ABC for cancelling the show for it captured the voice of the comic so effortlessly! The story, comic or tv, had both whimsy and edge, and amazing dialogue (bravo for the actors who had to say it!).
Joseph
Aug 17, 2008 Joseph rated it it was amazing
The only bad thing about this book is that the first two thirds of it have been reproduced so ably in the television show. It's a simple idea executed with so much wit, that it's impossible not to fall in love with it. Perhaps the biggest surprise, is that despite how blatantly it rips off pop culture, it doesn't feel at all derivative, but rather completely fresh and new.
Jarlos
Aug 07, 2011 Jarlos rated it liked it
volume 3 takes all the classic cliches and twists of pulp golden era comics and makes another funny adventure with a surprising twist at the end. this collection contains volumes 1-3 and additional tales including a fantastic barbarian adventure thats very funny and drawn by the fantastic Josh Howard and a very witty tale that ties in to Sherlock Holmes.
James
Nov 08, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
I haven't quite finished this one (I figured 4:30am was late enough to stay up reading) but it's awesome. I'd seen the equally amazing TV show first and decided it was time to read the source material. Does not disappoint. Rivals the Tick in terms of humor, action and character. Recommended.
Amy M.
Sep 14, 2010 Amy M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really liked this graphic novel. The characters and plot were hilarious, the dialog snappy and the parodies are spot on!

The only thing that I didn't like was the ending and I wished it was longer! I hope they will release more volumes to (please) resolve the twists at the end!
Miriam
Jun 05, 2015 Miriam marked it as to-read
Shelves: graphic, library-lack
Well, I liked the show, and usually the book is better...
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
I like the comics better than the TV show. It flows so well and the detail is amazing - everything that happens in the background.

The feel of the book is nice too, it has a nice weight to it.

The characters are awesome. The dialogue is witty. I want there to be more!
Pete
Mar 05, 2010 Pete rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, espionage
I read this after the television show. Both the show and comic were just too much fun. Hopefully Javier finds time to do more Middleman comics in the future (although he already has done one follow-up to the TV series in comic form that is worth checking out.)
Icepick
Jun 11, 2009 Icepick rated it really liked it
This was so much fun. I have to admit, I came to the comics through the short-lived TV series. Hopefully, there will be more of both in the future. Really, about as much fun as anything you can think of.
Caroline
Oct 09, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
So snarky and delightful. The James Bond spoof had me laughing out loud. Seriously, there always has to be a genetically-modified shark, and this was the most glorious genetically modified shark of them all.
Donna
Apr 29, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Required reading for nerds.

The television adaptation was my favorite "great show that died too young because it was barely promoted and probably aired on an inappropriate network" of last year.
Aaron
Apr 01, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it
An amusing series of tales with some fun twists to them and a smattering of emotional turmoil. Recommended.
Mike Smith
Sep 19, 2010 Mike Smith rated it really liked it
Insanely fun book. I only wish it were longer. I guess I'll have to read it a few more times.
Chuppachup
Jul 01, 2012 Chuppachup rated it it was amazing
Absolutely shocking this only went for as long as it did. I want more!
William
Feb 07, 2009 William rated it really liked it
Khairul H.
Dec 15, 2008 Khairul H. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Warning: Product requires a sense of humour to be enjoyed.
Ginger K
May 03, 2011 Ginger K rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels, 2009
Terrific fun!
Sergey
Sergey marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Malissa
Malissa marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016

• The Middleman, Volume 3: The Third Volume Inescapability
  • The Middleman - Volume 3.14 - The Legends of the Middleman Dossier
  • The Middleman: The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse
  • The Middleman - Volume 5: The Pan-Universal Parental Reconciliation

“The Middleman: "So what's it going to be? Keep the secret or death?"
Wendy Watson: "What do you think?"
The Middleman: "Ma'am specificity is the soul of all good communication.”
2 likes