Start by marking “Babel” as Want to Read:
Babel

Babel

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"A wild confluence of words almost inundated by its barely restrained verbal enthusiasms."-Billy Collins

Winner of the Donald Hall Prize in Poetry, awarded by the Association of Writers and Writing Programs, these poems feature more of the rhetorical acrobatics that fueled Hamby's earlier work.
Published November 7th 2004 by University of Pittsburgh Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Babel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babel

James Murphy
I love Barbara Hamby's poetry. It's all about language. She writes jubilation and rapture. The mockingbird overlooks the 1st section of Babel, called "The Mockingbird Blues." Appropriate, in terms of language and that the mockingbird itself is here a kind of trickster animating the poems. But bees are frequently mentioned, too, and Hamby's language buzzes with them. These poems are busy with words carrying energy from line to line and from one part of the poem to another. The reader himself beco ...more
William
Re-read this while at the State Forensics meet.

Barbara Hamby launches her poetry with a very rhythmic, slam sort of line where syncopation, alliteration mix with a general stream of consciousness. Add to this a few multi-lingual puns (check the action on Six Sex Say and stir in generous mixtures of pop and high cultural references. Underneath, however beats the heart of the formalist. He love of the surreal and juxtaposed settings often produces some startling effects.

She groups her poems in t
FSU Alumni
Barbara Hamby (B.A. '78, M.A. '81)
Craig
I never know exactly what to say when I read a book of poetry like this one.

It is obvious from the outset that it took such a talent and such a complete command of language (and not only the English language...) to create this tome. I have absolutely nothing but respect for the clever use of language throughout.

But, for the most part, it just didn't "do it" for me. It just wasn't my kind of poetry, I suppose. (and I give a huge exception to Ode On Satan's Power - wow. That poem alone took it fro
Ronald Wise
Some amusing and yet provacative verse, with an interesting weave of real-world observations and metaphoric tangents, classical mythology and modern realities. With some of the poems I enjoyed the literal imagery portrayed, while having a sense that I could find as much symbolic meaning as I desired. I learned of this collection when a the poem "Vex Me" was featured on Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac on 03/07/2005.
beck
Mar 15, 2007 beck rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks that like poetry
Another of Hamby's books--featuring such classics as "Ode to my 1976 Toyota Corolla" and "Ode to my Mother's Handwriting." This book also contains various poems set in Paris.
Kelly Butler
magical poet. musical and magical.
Scott
Scott added it
Oct 08, 2014
Ariana Lisefski
Ariana Lisefski marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
John
John added it
Apr 30, 2014
Maryam
Maryam marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Mar 01, 2014
Robin Hudson
Robin Hudson marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Renee
Renee added it
Jun 14, 2013
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
200364
Barbara Hamby was born in New Orleans and raised in Hawai’i. She now lives in Tallahassee, Florida. She teaches creative writing in the English Department at Florida State University.
More about Barbara Hamby...
The Alphabet of Desire Seriously Funny: Poems about Love, Death, Religion, Art, Politics, Sex, and Everything Else All-Night Lingo Tango Lester Higata's 20th Century Delirium: Poems (Vassar Miller Prize in Poetry, #2)