Start by marking “September Roses” as Want to Read:
September Roses

September Roses

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A tribute to the memory of September 11

On September 11, 2001, two sisters from South Africa are flying to New York City with 2,400 roses to be displayed at a flower show. As their plane approaches the airport, a cloud of black smoke billows over the Manhattan skyline. When they land, they learn of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. All flights are canceled; th...more
Published September 11th 2004 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about September Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about September Roses

LeGrand
Oct 18, 2007 LeGrand rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: younger elementary school
Shelves: picture_books
this is a small little picture book.. it tells the story of two african sisters who had flown to america for a flower convention at the same time as the sep. 11 terrorist attacks.. when the convention was called off.. they were stuck with 2,000 flowers and no where to stay.. they ended up displaying their flowers in the city as a gift to the city.. i LOVE the pictures in this book.. they do an excellent job of complimenting the mood and tone of the story
Randie
A story of two sisters from South Africa who flew to New York on September 11, 2001, with 2,400 roses to attend a flower show and instead found themselves greeted with black smoke and stranded in the airport. A man from a church reached out to the sisters and offered them a place to stay. His kindness inspired them to share their roses with a grieving city.

A very touching story of remembrance based on the true account of the two sisters.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Based on a true event, this book tells of two sisters from South Africa who came to New York City on September 11, 2001, with 2400 roses for a fair. However, when the World Trade Center was attacked, they used their roses to instead create a beautiful memorial to the twin towers. What I especially liked about the illustrations in the book was that they were in color up until the sisters' plane lands in New York, then they switch to black and white, reflecting the dust and sadness of the day. The...more
Cecilia
September Roses is a sweet book to remember a time in history in which many people passed on. For those teachers who wish to educate their students on the subject of September eleventh, this book provides a new look into the occurrence of this story. This topic is very hard to talk about but, when a different view is given people can present it differently. The illustrations that accompany the worlds are enough detailed that the reader can easily interpret what is happening in the story. I enjoy...more
Shamilah Gillani
This is such a heartfelt and touching story about how two sisters, with their kindness, made people feel the slightest bit better on such a terrible day in American and World history. 9/11 is a day that will never be forgotten, and this book is a great tool to teach students about what happened on that day, and how terrifying it was to the nation. These two sisters used the roses they were bringing for a flower show to create a memorial to the towers. They used their kindness and generosity to s...more
Vilo
Ms. Winter chose one unique incident with which to introduce 9/11 to children. The book is beautiful but still evokes some of the terror and loss, followed by acts of goodness and healing.
Chris
This is a simple book, based on a true story that took place on 9/11. I'm going to share it in school with the kids today - kids that were born three years after that fateful day. It's been 12 years. It was a day that not only affected American greatly, but changed the way that we live and think each and every day. That said, the book itself doesn't flow smoothly enough for me. The words and illustrations are wonderful, but seem somewhat disjointed..... I'll see what my fourth graders think.
Dolly
Oct 06, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a touching tribute to the kindhearted people who reached out to others in whatever way possible after the tragedy of 9-11-2001. The true story of how roses, originally destined for a flower show, were used to recreate the image of the World Trade Center Towers and help heal people's hearts. I like the way that this book facilitates a discussion of the event with children who do not know or understand what happened, while still offering examples of hope, generosity and kindness.
Jennifer Kim
This story is about two sisters who showed kindness and help after having been given some. The story is about two sisters who had planned on attending a flower show in New York, but their trip was tragically interrupted with the terrorist attack on the twin towers. This is a good book to read to young children to introduce them to what had happened that day in our country's history and to also show them that there is still good and kindness in the world.
Lorna
Sweet little book about some of the goodness that came to light after the September 11 attacks in New York City; the need for community and communal grieving, and the kindness of strangers. A nice book to use to talk about 9/11 with young children as it doesn't deal with too many details and specifics of the attacks themselves, but more the aftermath and feelings of a helpless world community.
Sophia Martin
September 11, 2001. A date no American will forget. Two women from South Africa were scheduled to attend a flower show. They flew over 2,400 roses for the event. Without warning two planes crashedinto the World Trade Centers. The sisters were stuck in the airport with no place to go, the city was in chaos. With a form of shelter to go to they had to decide what would they do with all the flowers?
Caden picked this book from the library himself. I wasn't prepared for it when we started reading and it brought on a lot of emotion on my part that his 3-year-old brain just can't understand yet. But someday, I think this book would do a wonderful job of answering some tough questions in a gentle, rose kind of way.
Maggie Burgess
Sweet book. Very simple. It hits on the idea of the generosity of some on September 11th in light of what was happening. The pictures are beautiful. Overall, I just liked it- didn't love it. But it's a sweet book worth sharing. (A get from the library kind of book.)
Christy Whitaker
This is a moving account of 9-11 from the perspective of one lady's memory. Two sisters from Africa made a contribution of roses to compensate for the fallen towers on 9-11. I believe this book can be a tool to teach historical perspective.
Connie
In this simple little book the author/artist pays tribute to September 11, 2001, and two women commercial rose growers in South Africa who arranged over 2,000 roses to honor the fallen of the Twin Towers.
Matthew
I'm not sure what else to say other than that this book was really well done. It describes a hopeful scene found in the middle of all the chaos surrounding September 11th. I was impressed.
MichelleMarie
This children's book about a true story surrounding September 11th brought tears to my eyes. I had never heard of what happened with these thousands of roses. Quite beautiful!
Ursula
A short picture book describing how sometimes doing something for others in a time of need makes your own loss not so bad. A good read aloud for all ages.
Natasha Osborne
This book touched my heart. I was in my senior year in college when I saw the towers come down from my dorm room at Montclair State University.
Chris
Based on a true story about two sisters stranded in New York in the aftermath of September 11 and how they repay a kindness shown to them.
Alyse Liebovich
I can't believe I'd never seen this before finding it amidst the high school's children's book collection yesterday. Made me misty-eyed.
Alice
Of all the horrible things that happened on Sept 11, 2001, this is a positive story of the horrible day and the aftermath!
Nelly

Originality : 3
Humor : 0
Age Level : 5-10
Heather
This was a beautiful and captivating book. The drawings worked well with the text. It was a moving tribute to 9/11.
Sarah D'Arco
Touching and well-written story of two sisters from South Africa affected by the tragic events of September 11.
Susan
Picture book about the 9/11 attacks - good one to help younger children learn about the event.
Julia
Packs a pretty big emotional punch: sad and hopeful at the same time.
Katie
One of the first post 9/11 books that I read. It was nicely done.
GraceAnne
Read for professional review.
Megan Foster
Megan Foster marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps Follow the Drinking Gourd Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa