Start by marking “The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, #1-3)

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara #1-3 omnibus)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  2,369 ratings  ·  31 reviews
When the body of a half-drowned elf is found floating in the seas of the Blue Divide, an old mystery resurfaces. Thirty years ago, an expedition in search of a legendary, ancient magic set out. But none who went ever returned. Until now. For the rescued elf carries a map covered with mysterious symbols only one man can decipher. That man is Walker Boh, the last of the Drui ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Pocket Books (first published August 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy

David Fernau
(Originally reviewed on Otherwhere Gazette)

One of the saddest things I see in modern science fiction and fantasy is when an author, having created a world that sells books well, starts churning out books where the world doesn’t really change that much, and the characters keep doing the same thing over and over again. Many people will still buy these books, because of the familiarity of the author and the world, and maybe they like reading about the same things over and over again, but they someh
Henry
I read this through a period of illness, wanting the comfort of reading from a series I enjoyed as a young teen.

Please read the omnibus addition, the books are not "stand alone" and come with cliffhangers, it is only complete as a trilogy.

As usual with Brooks, some of it makes you cringe (camp gypsy pirates as an example), but there are enough good characters, and twists and turns, and interesting villains (loved Anthrax) to keep you going.

It is a simple "quest" style epic fantasy, but if you l
Mick
This series of books is terrific. Terry Brooks is as good as it gets in the fantasy realm and The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara is further proof. I read all three, The Ilse with, Antrax and Morgawr in two weeks mostly because I could not put it down at night and ended up losing a lot of sleep. The series has it all, compelling well drawn characters, pacing that leaves you breathless, unpredictable story lines, and wonderfully vivid writing to hold it all together. Highly recommended.
Daniel
These books to me were a moment that really changed things, at least as far as I can recall. It's violent, and romantic, and adult (not in the x-rated sense), oh yeah. Different from anything I had seen up to that point, and while I can't vouch for its actual quality now, I do not remember being disappointed at all, with any of the three books. The ending left quite an impact on me, sort of melancholy instead of totally triumphant, I like that. Mirrors the subtlty of real emotions, real experien ...more
Renay
terry brooks' style of writing is fast paced and encapturing.
this story, as with most of his writings, grabs you and makes you want to read more. great explanations and interesting characters make one follow the happenings and troubles of the Four Lands with ease, and leave one wondering what comes next.
enough mystery and drama, and feel - good moments within the story made me unable to put it down and i finished it within a couple of days of starting it.
the story tells of a mystery magic that
Dellene Maraccini
Awesome

I didn't want to put it down. A great read for these cold days. Will tell my friends to read it too.
Mihir

This is my favorite of all the Shannara series, focusing for the first and only time on a land which isn't Shannara. The series features Walker Boh the last druid who is still trying to form a council of druids. He receives a message from the elves that a past expedition has returned with some news about a new power. Walker soon decides on an expedition however faces a new enemy called Ilse witch who is also striving to similar ends.

Mixing magic, good characterization and the quintessential f
Billy Maise
I really liked this particular Shannara trilogy. Instead of having the story based in the actual Shannara continent, the characters - who were all very memorable - embarked on this crazy journey across the sea in an airship. On the way they encountered all kinds of dangerous setbacks. I think it's cool how Morgawr ended with the Ilse Witch giving up her evil ways, and how she went on to play a huge part in the High Druid trilogy. Anyway, there was a lot of magic, action, and suspense. And there ...more
Alexandra Bogdanovic
Not the first time I read this trilogy and it won't be the last. It is Brooks at his best and it never gets old!
Lynn Heath
This is a great trilogy taking place in the Four-Lands several centuries after the events of The Heritage of Shanarra. The Jerle Shannara is an airship of a new design. It is used for a trip to the icy north of Parkasia where the Druid, Walker, seeks a magic that could unite the people of the Four-Lands under the leadership of a new Druid counsil. The voyagers meet surprises along the way as well as a different outcome than originally expected. I highly recommend this trilogy to all who enjoy sc ...more
Doug Dunbar
My current "escape" book.

I'm reading the series a bit backwards.... I read the followup trilogy over the summer, and then went back and read the first trilogy, so it will be interesting to see how continuous and congruent Brooks can be with these multi-trilogy stories. So far, so good. Exactly what I expect from Mr. Brooks. Though I am curious to know more about the function of the Word in this series and if it connects with the Knight of the Word series in any way.
Bruno Silva
Muito bom. Ao estilo clássico da Fantasia tipo Tolkien, TB volta a encantar com o mundo de Shannara. Voltamos a conhecer 2 personagens que não percebem porque razão são tão importantes para terem de ir numa viagem ao outro lado do mundo, Bek e o seu primo. A trilogia mais uma vez apresenta-nos o lado humano das personagens da forma mais interessante e traz novas criaturas. Não consegui parar de ler e devorei as 1200 páginas em pouco mais de 1 mês.
Chrissy
Accidentally read this trilogy first, not realizing that it wasn't the beginning of the whole series. It's a good thing though, because if I'd read the first book, The Sword of Shannara, first, I'd never have gotten this far. Brooks' writing greatly improves from that first book and knowing that has kept me reading the Shannara series, which started in 1977 and had it's latest book put out in 2010, with the next one due out 2011.
Shell
Jan 22, 2008 Shell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes a multi-layered, complex fantasy... but you need to read the others first
OMG I FREEKING LOVE TERRY BROOKS! If you can just get through the Shannara trilogy and the Heritage of Shannara quartet, you can read his writing getting so much better!! I probably shouldn't have bought this... when I have each book (Ilse Witch, Antrax, Morgawr) in paperback... but it was so prettyfull.... amazing story. I'm in love with Walker.=]
Callie
At this point in the Shannara story, it started to feel like the author was simply recycling the same stories as before. Yes, there are some new ideas (and those ideas are very interesting), but the overall quality started to go down.
Elaina
Like to all Terry Brooks' work, this is an imaginary journey to get lost in. The only gripe I have, however, is that he sometimes takes a while to get to the action!
Otoki
Meh. Predictable fantasy with characters I really didn't care about. Ryer was the most obnoxious character as all she really does is cling to people and cry.
Carl
Wow...this book took me forever to read...I really enjoyed it and liked the deepness of the backstory. I may have to read some other Shannara books soon.
Ed
This was the first set of books I read by this author. I enjoyed them so much that I have read many others by this author.
Steve
Adds the intrigue of new technology and new lands, but still very cookie cutter. A safe, fun read as a whole.
Sabine Reed
Excellent. Loved the trilogy. As usual Terry Brooks astounds. A must read for all epic fantasy readers.
Garett
It was a lot of fun to read a Shannara book again. It has been several years since I'd picked up one.
Charles
Third in the omnibus series; excellent escalation of action character development.
Hans Verkruijsse
Drie delen:
De schaduw van Shannara
De kolos van Shannara
De heks van Shannara
Danny
Another amazing book!! This trilogy was wonderful! I could not put this down
Paul Morris
1st one slow 2nd two two of my fav form him
Belinda Pepper
Simple narrative, but an enjoyable adventure.
Karen
sci fi fantasy- really enjoyed these books
Relstuart
My favorite Terry Brooks trilogy.
Brady
Predictably Brooks.
  • Paths of Darkness Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #1-4)
  • Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology, #1)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light & Shadow #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • The Righteous Blade (Dreamtime, #2)
  • The Mark of a Druid
  • A Crown Imperiled (The Chaoswar Saga #2)
  • Rose of the Prophet Trilogy (Omnibus)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • The Silver Call
  • Legends II
  • Magebane
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #3 (Wheel of Time, #7-9)
  • The Book of Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4-5)
  • The Blood Debt (Books of the Cataclysm, #2)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...
The Elfstones Of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2) The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1) The Talismans Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4) The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #3) Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)

“Put the past behind you and the future ahead where they belong and spend your time in the present with the rest of us.” 0 likes