Start by marking “Little Hut of Leaping Fishes” as Want to Read:
Little Hut of Leaping Fishes

Little Hut of Leaping Fishes

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Mingzhi is born to be a mandarin: as the formidable Master Chai's first grandson, his life is mapped from the moment of his birth. But times are changing in China, and as Mingzhi grows, he begins to question his privileged heritage and the secrets and shadows that lurk in the corners of the Chai mansion; eager to flee from the corruption, treachery and rivalries of his fam ...more
Published by Picador USA (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Little Hut of Leaping Fishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Hut of Leaping Fishes

Steven
Aug 18, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing
It is stimulating for a change to read a good historical novel from a crucial period of Asian history, that is not written from a eurocentric point of view.
Susan
Aug 05, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
I loved the prose style of this book. Even though it was written in English, it had a very lyrical, Chinese feel to it. Many layers to the imagery and themes in the novel.

The story itself was very enjoyable and the central character of Mingzhi was very likeable and easy to relate to. While the Chinese culture (end of 1800s) was certainly a focus of the novel, the greater focus was Mingzhi's own desire to think and act beyond the limitations of his family and culture.

A very inspiring and beautif
Francy
Aug 01, 2012 Francy rated it really liked it
This is a very enjoyable book, I read it very quick, but after all I am a sucker for this sort of story.
It’s written in a way which gives it a fleeting sensation and events seem to pass by you very quick, which in my opinion is a bit of a shame, because before you fully grasp the extent of something we move onto the next situation. Despite this minor inconvenience is a very enjoyable book, it follows the life of a man during the last few years of Imperial China. I love this sort of thing, set a
Chanpheng
Oct 01, 2009 Chanpheng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inside a multi-generational Chinese family at the end of the 1800's, when the opium trade is flourishing and the reaction against foreigners starts to appear. The author has studied the life within the Chinese household and the education and steps to become a Mandarin. The resolution of the book is rushed, considering that the beginning is drawn with such detail and color.
Sonia Gomes
Feb 13, 2009 Sonia Gomes rated it liked it
Recommended to Sonia by: Got it from the British Library
Nick
Jun 21, 2015 Nick rated it liked it
Convincing version of late Qing Dynasty China. All the symptoms of rot are here: the corruption, opium smoking, the rote learning of the Confucian classics culminating in the examination system, the Boxers. Down these mean streets goes Mingzhi, who is not only not himself mean, but idealistic and, while an efficient student of the classics, a man with a heretical taste in foreign languages, ideas, and people. Meanwhile, everything around him, including most of his family, disintegrates. Chiew-Si ...more
Mirjam
Aug 30, 2011 Mirjam rated it really liked it
I loved this book.
what a time to live in, so very different from what we know.
And yet human emotion stays the same regardless of time or setting.
All parents want the best for their child and all humans need love and company etc.
Nothing ever changes and that is just oke.
Colubrina Laticauda
Un bello scorcio della CIna che cambia ed entra in contatto con la "modernità" occidentale... spero di poter leggere altro dell'autrice!
Nabilla
Feb 27, 2016 Nabilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a pleasant book to read. Even though the book is saturated with Chinese cultural elements, the author has successfully written the book in a way that it's easy for readers to follow and get immerse in the story. The characters and story line are very original and fresh. Highly recommended!
Dilys
Jul 23, 2014 Dilys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Set in late 19th century imperial China, two brothers born within days of each other are worlds apart. The eldest Mingzhi is born to inherit the Chai wealth. The youngest Mingyuan being the 2nd grandson is very bitter. This story tells of the differences between the boys and their lives. storytelling at it,s best.
MissNYix
Jan 24, 2016 MissNYix rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a predictable and fast pace book. I would prefer if there is a little bit more interactive element between characters. Oh, and the ending seems a bit rush for me.
Alison
Nov 03, 2014 Alison rated it liked it
A historically interesting novel with an interesting story to tell. Chiew-Siah Tei's writing style was superb, however I felt a little removed from the characters.
MissNYix
Jan 30, 2016 MissNYix rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Хасан Жамус
Feb 03, 2016 Хасан Жамус rated it it was ok
boring!.. the writing is too straight forward and the characters are too dull.
Debbie
May 03, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story set in the dying days of Imperial China.
Yas
Oriental fiction is usually my favourite fiction of all. There is a certain something about it that I love. Flowery beautiful descriptive writing creatkng a great sense of place and usually a likeable written style to tell the story.

This was neither. I got 22 pages in and thoughy forget it. The writing is stilted and feels so false like and there is no description that makes you feel involved or as though your living the story rather than just reading it..Crap. I'll stick to my regular Chinese a
Liz Neale
Jun 05, 2016 Liz Neale rated it it was amazing
Very good book.
Shuganthini
Dec 22, 2012 Shuganthini rated it really liked it
loved it..the essence of how the Chinese people in China worked and were treated at that particular time, and there was also mentions on the countries which tried to invade China, on how women was perceived in the society and the importance of education in a family. all the elements blend well which created a very beautiful story..i would love to read this book again
Jessica
Jun 08, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china-related
Strange and thought provoking book - a little bit too long. But gets you into the mindset of the late 1800s in China, good on the cultural background and the constraints within families. Some of the characterisation is not finely drawn, but it is really a novel of cultures rather than individuals. Worth reading, but I didn't keep my copy to reread
Oct 18, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
The book kept my attention. It takes place in late 19th century China and follows the lives of two half-brothers in the Chai dynasty. The first brother was favored due to his birth order and lived the good life. The second brother had a life of strife. I love cultural novels, but this one was a bit depressing. All in all a decent read.
Hasri bin Hasfa
Jan 21, 2011 Hasri bin Hasfa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mingzhi... it is all about him... not much of the little hut, the leaping fish... there is jasmine as well... i like the story. it will be better if the life of mingzhi ends at old age or his death...
Whitney
Aug 19, 2008 Whitney rated it really liked it
This book started about a bit simplistic, but turned out to be a beautiful read with complexity of both characters and story, I really enjoyed it.
Aug 03, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Colourful storyline with interesting and complex characters - maybe a little overlong and dragged out in parts - nonetheless a good holiday read!
Nicola Reid
Dec 07, 2013 Nicola Reid rated it it was amazing
Beautiful detailed description makes you feel part of the story which opens up thinking of wider issues of cultural shifts and migrations.
Tania
Aug 26, 2014 Tania rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the story but found the writing rather stilted.
Anushaya Collure
Jan 28, 2010 Anushaya Collure rated it really liked it

This is a good film plot. I liked the writing style very much.
Suzy Adcock
Jul 18, 2012 Suzy Adcock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, so delicately but accessibly written.
Shammy
May 11, 2012 Shammy added it
Amazing....I cannot put down the book.
  • The Boat to Redemption
  • Dream of Ding Village
  • Brothers
  • A Dictionary of Maqiao
  • The Chinese Spymaster
  • The Dream of the Red Chamber (Selection)
  • Darshan
  • The Bathing Women
  • Devil's Acre: A Russian Novel
  • A Whisper From Eden
  • Clan Fianna (The Fellwater Tales #3)
  • Pure Trash: The Story
  • Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
  • Half of Man Is Woman
  • From Emperor To Citizen: The Autobiography Of Aisin Gioro Pu Yi
  • The Exiles Return
  • China Witness: Voices from a Silent Generation
  • The Palace of Heavenly Pleasure
Chiew-Siah Tei was born and raised in Tampin, a small town in southern Malaysia.

She has been widely published in Malaysian Chinese media since the 1980s. In the 1990s she wrote literary prose, as well as columns on social issues, film, arts and literature for a variety of publications including Sin Chew Jit Poh and Nanyang Siang Pao.

Her first collection of prose, It’s Snowing (Chinese) – an accou
More about Chiew-Siah Tei...