Start by marking “Cindy Sherman: Untitled Films Stills” as Want to Read:
Cindy Sherman: Untitled Films Stills

Cindy Sherman: Untitled Films Stills

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  3,497 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Cindy Sherman's "Untitled Film Stills," a series of 69 black-and-white photographs created between 1977 and 1980, is widely seen as one of the most original and influential achievements in recent art. Witty, provocative and searching, this lively catalogue of female roles inspired by the movies crystallizes widespread concerns in our culture, examining the ways we shape ou ...more
Published October 2nd 2003 by Museum of Modern Art

To ask other readers questions about Cindy Sherman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cindy Sherman

Joe
Jun 25, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing
LUV HUH.

'nuff said.

Ok, but seriously, for years I've been a fan of Sherman's Untitled Film Stills but could only find a handful of of them - most notably stills #7 and #14 which have become the iconic stills from this series.

If you don't know what these are then here's the rub: from 1977 to 1980 Cindy Sherman took b&w self portrait photgraphs of herself dressed as different "characters" from imaginary films.

The result is an ambiguous film "still" that proves the age old adage of a picture i
Jesse
Sep 14, 2008 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Previously, I had only stumbled across examples of Cindy Sherman's "Untitled Film Stills" individually--a cluster in the Tate Modern, a stray posting on an internet blog, etc. But here they all are, an expansive body of work grouped together and arranged by Sherman herself for maximum impact--and what an impact it has! This might as well be called a short story collection as much as an art book, for each turn of the page presents not only a dramatic black and white photograph but a story without ...more
Becca Becca
Jun 13, 2007 Becca Becca rated it it was amazing
I love the way Cindy Sherman brings an element of stage/theater/acting to photography and the eleaborate storytelling she weaves into each of her photos.

When I studied her in a photography class I found it interesting that she would often dress in characters she had created during her normal life. Apparently she had an office secretary character that she dressed up as when she went to work. She had invented some elaborate story and character analysis of this office secretary as well. Apparently
Shawn
Nov 23, 2007 Shawn rated it it was amazing
this book is indulgent and luscious. this book does justice to the brilliance of sherman's art without being saccharine about it.
Christopher McQuain
****1/2
Erwin Blonde
Feb 10, 2017 Erwin Blonde rated it really liked it
While studying photography and film at the art academy, Cindy Sherman was one of these topics, especially the film stills. Sherman is one of a kind in the photography world. I always tried to imagine how she pulled it off, she must be a kind of lonely genius. (in my imagination).
My own stage is the street and I kind of dislike studio work, that might be the reason why I have great admiration for Sherman's work.
Sonja Sweterlitsch
Mar 03, 2008 Sonja Sweterlitsch rated it it was amazing
A great series of photographs by a very interesting artist.
Kendylus Roboticus
Sep 06, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
I want this book.
Jim Sullivan
May 27, 2016 Jim Sullivan rated it it was amazing
A top ten favorite. Sets the stage for all the incredible work that followed.
Emily Kramer
Oct 04, 2007 Emily Kramer rated it really liked it
The best part about Cindy is that when she was stealing the male gaze from under patriarchy's stinky feet, she was just dressing up and taking pictures of herself to have a good time. Brilliant!
Mike Lester
Dec 04, 2011 Mike Lester rated it really liked it
Cindy Sherman's film stills are better than most actual films being made these days.
Bob Carroll
Jul 03, 2015 Bob Carroll rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-photography
Iconic work.
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Farsad
Farsad rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Jamez
Jamez rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Ariel Lamim
Ariel Lamim rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Hendra Wijaya
Hendra Wijaya rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2008
Maggie Golston
Maggie Golston rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
David Galeano
David Galeano rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Karie
Dec 08, 2007 Karie rated it it was amazing
I LOVE these photos. They are filmic and eerie and silvery and moving and...and...and....
Mary Schroeder
Mary Schroeder rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Iam Royaltee
Iam Royaltee rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Nancy Finn
Nancy Finn rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Becky Martin
Becky Martin rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Matthew Barac
Matthew Barac rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
ChromaticRat
ChromaticRat rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2007
  • The Americans
  • Man Ray: Masters of Photography Series
  • William Eggleston
  • Francesca Woodman
Cindy Sherman is an American photographer and film director of Office Killer, best known for her conceptual portraits. Sherman currently lives and works in New York City. In 1995, she was the recipient of a MacArthur Award. She is represented by Sprüth Magers Berlin London in Europe and Metro Pictures gallery in New York.
More about Cindy Sherman...