Start by marking “Moresukine: Uploaded Weekly from Tokyo: Expat in Japan Experiences All Things Japanese as Ordered Online” as Want to Read:

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Dirk lived in Tokyo, had a comics blog where he had people dare him to try all sorts of different things, exotic, disgusting, revealing, whatever!, in this land of the rising sun, and then relate it with funky humor on the blog. Result is quite a fascinating inside look at Japanese society, how they live, how they think, what they eat. Moresukine is the Japanese way of pro ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by NBM Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Moresukine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moresukine

Diana Welsch
This book was a gift from my sweetie, apparently as a way for him to let me know he wasn't going to be mad if I dumped him to go to work in Japan for a year. Not that I would dump him to do that...no way! He's much too sweet. I'd fly him out and we could do some of the stuff outlined in this book together.

During a stay in Tokyo, Dirk Schweiger kept a blog and invited readers to suggest things for him to do there. No matter what it was, he would do it, and then make a cartoon about the experience
Black Elephants
A friend of mine went to this year's Comicon and brought back a comic book for my reading pleasure on Japan. I thanked her nicely for it, put the book on my shelf and largely forgot about it till this weekend when I finally decided to see what it was all about. I'm glad I did for it went a little beyond the premise that I originally thought it was about: Foreigner in Japan tells all.

German computer programmer and cartoonist Dirk Schweiger lived and worked in Tokyo for a year, like many foreigne
Arminzerella
Krysta
Quick-reading, engaging, visual vignettes of a foreigner's experience living in Tokyo. The concept centered on completing 'suggestions' that blog readers submitted and through doing so, he covers all the highlights like pod hotels, canned coffee, love hotels, okonomiyaki (can't wait to eat this myself), the Ghibli Museum, the weird high tech toilets (nervous about this!) and more.

Reading this in context of going to Tokyo made me appreciate it alot, but I think it's entertaining for anyone inter
earthy
Clever, funny idea, but I don't think it's carried out to its full potential. The artwork is fun and the snippets of life in Tokyo are great, but the guest comics at the end are mostly hit or miss, and I'm not sure the format of the book really works with the content (a larger size might have worked better). The first section is much too short; I would've loved to read about more adventures. Hilarious JavaScript joke in the Marcel Guldemond guest comic.
AM
This was a good graphic journal with a neat concept. Schwieger ran a blog and accepted challenges of things to do and experience while in Japan. I wish his portion of the book had been longer. The last fourth of the book was his challenge to his audience -- meet a Japanese where you are and talk to them. Those additions were kind of hit or miss. The only true fault is in the design, some of the layouts didn't quite fit the moleskin journal format.
Deborah
First of all, I love Tokyo so it was nice to revisit it in print for a few days. Interesting concept. European (gaijin) in Tokyo writes/draws graphic blog accepting dares to see or try or do something authentically Japanese. He has to do it whether he wants to or not. I'm a sucker for cultural anthropology (my major) and cultural differences, so a very enjoyable read. Also learned about some cool places I'd like to visit someday.
Emilia P
Eh. Nicely illustrated guide to How Japan is Weird (but um, there are plenty of books about that already). Doesn't do much to distinguish itself beyond that -- feel like it would have been better in original webcomic form, but still, Schwieger, as a native German speaker, doesn't use English in much more than a functional way so it's not super exciting to read. Still. Great illustrations. Hence the three stars.
Richard
Moresukine has a great concept- a German living in Japan accepts assignments to engage with Japanese culture and then writes short comics about his experience. The comics are pretty cruddy though. I did learn the useful bit of Japanese slang "all America wept," used to indicate that something is completely meaningless. For example "Richard gave Moresukine 2 stars and all America wept."
Debra
The author is working from Tokyo and his blog challenges his followers to submit challenges that they would like him to experience in Tokyo. They range from talking to a Japanese, riding a rooftop roller coaster, sleeping in a pod at a pod hotel to eating potentially poisonous fugo. An interesting look into Japanese life and culture as perceived by a westerner.
Kate
A quick read about the artist's adventures in Japan, as dictated by the readers of his webcomic.

A good alternate or companion read would be Japan Ai: A tall girl's adventures in Japan by Aimee Major Steinberger. She's definitely more obsessed with certain aspects of Japanese culture--she's a cosplayer and draws in a cute Manga style.
Nick
Not worth a buy, but it's readable. The last quarter of the book made nearly no sense to me, but the first 3/4 of the book were solid for the most part. Looks like a Moleskine book, which adds to the appeal but I was ultimately let down by this collection. It's a fast read, so if you have the time and the access, it's worth the time.
Robin
This was a fun concept: using a weblog to illustrate a facet of Japanese life to his readers, Dirk Schwieger, a German, is challenged to explain a lot of the oddities of life in Japan but it should prove to be amusing to those who are interested in Japanese life.
Ellen
I enjoyed the concept of this graphic novel more than I enjoyed the actual execution. I really wanted more depth instead of cursory recountings.
Whatsupchuck
A travel comic from Japan. Readers of this guy's blog suggested things for him to check out, which he did and then reported back his findings.
Joe
Excellent idea, well executed. I could have done without the stuff by other authors in the back though.
Emily
Interesting and well drawn, but some of the pages had a confusing flow.
Sarah Evans
A fun way to experience Japan through a European viewpoint.
Mitch Donaberger
Full of fascinating insight.
Natira
Natira added it
Jul 21, 2015
Feather
Feather marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Jason K.
Jason K. marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014