Start by marking “Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The everlasting tales of this favorite storyteller are celebrated in this colorful compendium. Eight stories such as Silly Hans, The Ugly Duckling, Thumbelina, and The Princess and the Pea are each illustrated by a different artist in full color.
Published March 7th 2006 by Gramercy (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

Brittany
Dec 19, 2014 Brittany added it
Recommends it for: Grades 3 to 5
Fairy tales are also another good traditional literature sources because they usually follow a format (i.e. once upon a time), they are strictly fantasy so alternative endings and helping students think creatively with fairy tales is another way to utilize them in the classroom.

Grade level Equivalent: 5.6
Lexile Measure®: 860L
Joy Gerbode
This is a very quick and simple telling of three of Hans Christian Andersen's most famous fairy tales: The Emperor's New Clothes, Thumbelina, and the Little Mermaid. Very quick reading, but very enjoyable!
Stephanie
May 25, 2011 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
Shelves: homeschool
This is a nice (not comprehensive) selection of Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales.

They include:
The Ugly Duckling
The Little Tin Soldier
The Nightingale
Thumbelina

I liked this collection because it includes some of the less popular/known fairy tales. The retelling is simplified for younger audiences but does not twist, distort, or change the original endings (so far as I could remember). The illustrations are beautifully done a
Margaret
Jan 15, 2013 Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Sonlight P3/4
It is a partial love/not love relationship with this book. We read this illustrated version through Sonlight P3/4 and overall I am not really a fan of these illustrations however I did like the illustrations of Thumbelina. My daughter definitely enjoys this book and asks for it often. Some of these tales were entirely new to me and still others were a very different version from my memory. The main drop in the stars rating for me was the over abundant use of the word "stupid". In my childhood (a ...more
Arlith
I always enjoy reading the orginal fairy tales. I like to yell at the tv/other books when they change them by so much (and try to pretend its still the same story). My version starts off with the Mermaid. As much as I like cartoons, sometimes I just wanna beat the crap out of Disney, for the way the change the stories around so much. If they want something with a happy ending, then they should make up their own story, or find one that suits their purpose, not bastardize some other story.
Nichole
My son I read this book as a part of Sonlight's P3/4 core. He loved listening to these stories over and over again. The Little Tin Soldier was a favorite, often requested at nap and bedtime. The illustrations in this edition are beautiful and really complement the stories. Most of the stories I had heard before, but there were a couple that were new to me. Overall, the book has a good mix of familiar and not so well known stories.
Robin E.
Some classic Hans Christian Andersen stories, and some not so well known ones. Great book to build a preschooler's listening skills and vocabulary, but it might not be a book he'll fall in love with.
Desiree
My kids made me read this over and over and over and over.....you get the idea!
Adam Farley
Adam Farley marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rohanie Persad
Rohanie Persad is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015
Jacob Moskowitz
Jacob Moskowitz marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Effie
Effie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Fatema
Fatema marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Chersti Gordon
Chersti Gordon marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Martha Nolkemper
Martha Nolkemper marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Mateo
Mateo is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Alexandra La Vigne
Alexandra La Vigne marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Molly Lyions
Molly Lyions marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Laura Farmer
Laura Farmer marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Carmia.callebautyahoo.com
Carmia.callebautyahoo.com is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young
  • Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
  • The Bee Tree
  • The Exploits of Arsene Lupin
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud
  • The Children's Illustrated Bible
  • The Story of You
  • Stories from Around the World
  • The Long Rain
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Diana: Portrait of a Princess
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World
  • Serious Concerns
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn̩]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express them ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Little Mermaid The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen