Start by marking “Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  99,189 Ratings  ·  686 Reviews
The everlasting tales of this favorite storyteller are celebrated in this colorful compendium. Eight stories such as Silly Hans, The Ugly Duckling, Thumbelina, and The Princess and the Pea are each illustrated by a different artist in full color.
Published March 7th 2006 by Gramercy (first published 1835)

♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
Although some of the tales are really disturbing, the fantasy and imagination behind them is indisputable. I grew up reading this book and I'm sure it'll be valuable for all future generations.
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
Strangely, despite four decades on Earth, I have almost no familiarity with this gentleman Hans. If I can live another 4 decades, I doubt I'll forget about him from here on out.

What is most generally striking/perplexing to me is how these stories came to be known as children tales, came to be widely accepted and popular rather than scorned. I don't think it's just my glasses that view Hans Christian Andersen as a soul that senses more darkness than light. “Yes, every year the trees have new, fr
M Blankier
Andersen is probably best known today for “The Little Mermaid,” usually in the sense that children who have seen the Disney film often hear, from their friends, something to the effect of, “Did you know that she actually dies in the end.” Andersen stories, more than any other traditional fairy tales, are filled with pathos and sadness, and end badly for their protagonists.

But to dismiss Andersen’s tales as “dark” fairy tales or, as seems to often be the case, a way to totally scar children forev
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Complete Fairy Tales, Hans Christian Andersen
Aubrey
Dec 31, 2009 Aubrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently chose this book for my book cub. I love HCA fairy tales. They are so compelling and read as though you are sitting at the man's feet and he is telling them straight to you and guestering with his overly large hands. What was so great about reading them this time is this particular edition that is translated by Tiina Nunnally. It is incredible with it's bio of him in the front- a MUST read and the notes about each story in the back to conect it to a time and place in the authors life. ...more
Helen
Feb 02, 2010 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories make me cry. Grimm's fairy tales are cautionary fables. These are tiny little slices of tragic reality, dressed up in doll's clothing or hidden behind animal masks. Check out "The Steadfast Tin Soldier,""The Ugly Duckling,"and "The Little Match Girl." Devastating.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Saw this on the shelf at my library yesterday when I was browsing the audiobook selection, and used my Goodreads barcode app to scan it in from when I listened to it several months ago. I mostly enjoyed this, although I didn't love all the stories and I kept falling asleep on others as I listened (a hazard associated with listening to audiobooks at bedtime). Listening to 'The Little Mermaid' brought back that sense of sadness and poignancy of reading this much-loved story as a child. There are o ...more
Michael
Mar 23, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having recently moved to Denmark I needed to get familiar with its number one writer! This was a wonderful collection of stories, some rather dark truth be told but that's what makes them so special. They are fantastical, gritty, funny, sad and everything real writing should be. Classic storytelling which will stand the test of time.
Noelle
Nov 14, 2011 Noelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully selected works set in a fantastic translation, Hans Christian Anderson’s The Complete Fairy Tales and Stories is a wonderful introduction to the author’s work. His famous works are included and the translations are just as engaging as Anderson’s original tales. What is pertinent about Anderson’s work is his descriptions and gift for imagery. For example, in ‘The Little Mermaid’ Anderson opens his story by describing the colors and textures of the undersea kingdom that is both lyrical ...more
Rebecca
Jun 06, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, faves
Fairytales are the only place I find validation.

Photobucket
Adam K.
May 20, 2013 Adam K. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've waited too long after reading this one to remember many specifics, so my rating and my review have more to do with an overall impression. I really enjoyed parts of this collection as well as valued the stories for their literary heritage. However, as I was reading this to my boys to put them to sleep at night, I began having a very hard time with the several stories Andersen wrote in which children died cruelly, either to teach them a lesson or because it was, simply, the way of things. It' ...more
Kathleen Galvin
My copy of this book was handed down to me by my Father. It is an ancient book with brown pages and a missing dust jacket. It looks like it was printed in the 40’s but I can’t be sure because the book does not contain a verso.

The first tale is that of the stork and in keeping with the theme of the book is undeniably sweet, but also twisted. There are definitely morals behind each and every tale, but not all the morals are ones I necessarily share. Possibly because of their heavily Christian unde
Siobhan
Aug 05, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collections like these are wonderful.

Whether you want to read through the full collection or you’re simply looking for a single fairy tale, it is up to you. It’s so good for picking and choosing the fairy tales as you see fit. In all honesty, though, I would recommend giving all the fairy tales a read as it is great to be able to sit and read them all in their glory.
Prashant
Feb 09, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
author : Hans Anderson. How have I never heard this name before. How is it even possible. This man has created the most poignant of my childhood stories and I have come to know about him so late in my life. Well, at least it was not unlike the other learning of my life : always late but you will get there, trust me!

The tales are familiar because they have been adopted in all possible media since decades. Thumbelina, The Princess and the Pea, The king's new Clothes, The Mermaid were beyond fun. I
Joel
Jun 24, 2016 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* 3.5
A good compilation full of children's classics fairy tales.
My favs:
* The steadfast tin soldier
* The emperor's new clothes
* The Nightingale

"Every once in a while a man is born who is able to see the magic, the mystery, the poetry beneath the surface of familiar things. This ability we call imagination—the power to picture vividly the unseen." -The prologue.
Mykee  Tan
Jul 12, 2010 Mykee Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I get exhausted from listening to lectures, writing papers, making reports or solving problems at the university, I always find that at the end of the day, all I need to calm down my traffic jam of a six-day school week is a pleasant story from Andersen's collection of stories.

There is something so compelling about Andersen's tales. They are the simplest, shortest stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading and yet, their morals leave me thinking far past the stories themselves and
Mohamed Osman
Jun 04, 2012 Mohamed Osman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ذكريات الطفولة الجميلة ، عالم هانز أندرسون الساحر ، الطبعة القديمة المهترئة ذات الأوراق الصفراء والتي أقلب كل صفحة بمفردها علي حدي ، مازالت احتفظ بهذه النسخة في ظرف بني كبير ولا اريد تجمعيها أو تجليدها لذكريات هذه النسخة بحالتها تلك معي :)
Shannon
Oh dear. This guy wrote some truly depressing stuff. I did not end up reading all the stories in this book because they were bringing me down. I read the most famous ones, and even those depressed me. Yikes.
Hannah Lockhart
How can I possibly review this? It's not a book, really, it's a staple of childhood - something in the air rather than anything one can pin down in an amateur book review. Reading back over this after twenty or so years was an incredible experience. Images long forgotten were restored in my mind as vivid as the day I first conjured them, memories of the dulcet tones of my dad's reading voice... I adore these tales because of how embedded they were in my childhood. I didn't read all the stories i ...more
Ashley Leader
I am currently working my way through this monstrously large collection of tales (there are 156 in over a thousand pages). They are a nice antidote to other books I am reading. There are well-known favorites like The Little Mermaid and The Ugly Duckling as well as many you will have never heard of, like The Magic Galoshes and Auntie Toothache. Hans Christian Andersen's writing style is unique and well-suited to reading aloud. The descriptions of landscape and setting are articulate, vivid and im ...more
Aurelie
Jun 12, 2011 Aurelie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I first read Andersen's Fairy Tales when I was 8, and since then I frequently re-read them, as I love them so much.
Hans Christian Andersen was categorical: his stories were not intended for children, they were aimed at grown-ups. When you read them, you obviously understand why. These stories are totally different from the Disney's adaptations that nearly everyone know (but I'm a huge fan of them too, don't get me wrong)!
The edition I own contains : The Little Mermaid, The Flying Trunk (my thoug
Van
Dec 28, 2015 Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should an apocalypse ever befall, this is the first book I'm putting in my survival bag.

I don't think I can properly review this book, and I don't intend to. However, I cannot be silent about it when it had had such an impact on me. The Complete Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen encompass all beauty, darkness, and light there is in the world - in the human soul.

These are charming stories for everyone of every age. Some tales are happy, and some are very, very sad. Yet they are beautifully w
Rebecca
Jun 17, 2011 Rebecca is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book has well-known and virtually unknown fairy tales. I thought Hans Christian Andersen just transcribed oral tradition, but many of these he wrote himself. The book also prints images of paper cut-outs that Hans Christian Andersen made. He often found himself, as a celebrity author, among people whose language he could not speak, so the paper cut-outs were a way of communicating, as well as a way of bridging the gap of his social awkwardness.
The Ice Maiden has had the biggest impact on me
Eve
I devoured this as a child. My mother bought a very old second hand copy. It was printed by WM. Collins, Sons & Co. LTD. Glasgow. Illustrated by Anne Anderson. No publishing date is visible.
It's a beautiful object - so old the pages are like thin floppy cardboard. The illustrations are exquisite and I delighted in hand-painting them with watercolour, thus ruining any resale value, I should think.
However, the stories are wonderful, and greatly influenced the development of my psyche.
AfraA523 AlMajed
Oct 08, 2012 AfraA523 AlMajed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is intresting. although its a fairy tale book and you would say these story are pretty obvious and i know most of them since i was a kid, but no they are very different from the stories we have read when younger it has much of grown ups content. Really intresting and you wont get bored of. Its just amazing how you recall a story from childhood and expect a certain ending but you see something that is totally different from what you know.
Jane
Jul 21, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A summer re-read, and what an excellent choice! An outsider himself, Andersen gets to the heart of abandonment, loss and cruelty. And yet he is also
funny and slyly observant of humanity's minor quirks. Rackham's illustrations, while perhaps not his best work (Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens would be my choice), are still a delight to see. He even took a trip to Copenhagen to get a feel for the architecture and Danish spirit.
Hector
Dec 07, 2015 Hector rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anomal-a-trades
¡Cómo me encantan los cuentos clásicos! Creo que es el encanto de cuento de hadas del que tienen fama los parajes nórdicos, pero hay algo sobre la gente de estas regiones que los hace maravillosos cuentacuentos. No me he dado a la tarea de investigarlo, pero sé que HC Andersen tiene en su haber como escritor una miríada de cuentos que dan fe de su prodigiosa imaginación y de sus dotes para escribir relatos mágicos, atemporales, llenos de moraleja, relatos que despiertan y deleitan al niño que vi ...more
Steven
May 19, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing
No offense, but Hans was pretty much out of his mind....in a good way, a creative way, that is. His stories are kaleidoscopic; sometimes elegant and simple, sometimes deep and thought-provoking, sometimes hilarious, and other times dark and twisted. I sailed through this collection because it was so entertaining. The book's Introduction (succinct, which is rare for introductions of classics!) tells the reader just enough about Andersen to give a clear picture as to his physical looks (he did, af ...more
Joy
Apr 24, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit
After reading this collection of classic fairy tales, I learned/realized some new things. First, it is not for children. Second, it doesn't always have a happy ending.

Most of them were entertaining, some were boring, but there are morals in the stories. Hans Christian Andersen uses symbols to represent good and evil, we can't always have what we want, but somewhere along the way we get something better that's essential for us.

My favorite Disney story is "The Little Mermaid", and after reading th
James
Dec 19, 2010 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a rather charming volume that takes a little effort to wade through if tales of the lives of trees, thimbles, candles, and obscure (to Westerners) European and Scandinavian history aren't your usual fare. Ask anyone on the street what their favourite Andersen story is, and they will likely reply, "Disney's 'Little Mermaid' was fun and had sweet music." Some may mention the Emperor's New Clothes, or The Ugly Duckling. After reading his complete works, my conclusion is that Andersen's famo ...more
taxomy of eqvatio 1 7 Feb 15, 2013 09:16PM
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • The Red Fairy Book
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • The Yellow Fairy Book
  • Приключения Незнайки
  • The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • Russian Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Priče iz davnine
  • Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #1)
  • Fairy Tales
  • The Complete Tales
  • The Jungle Books
  • Aesop's Fables
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...

“Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.” 877 likes
“‎"Does all the beauty of the world stop when you die?"

"No," said the Old Oak; "it will last much longer - longer than I can even think of."

"Well, then," said the little May-fly, "we have the same time to live; only we reckon differently.”
54 likes