Start by marking “If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!” as Want to Read:
If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!

If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  409 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Cynthia Heimel has been described by the Chicago Tribune as "perhaps our funniest war correspondent on the war between the sexes"; her wisdom on dating includes such gems as: "My new rule is to never believe a person is interested until you feel his tongue down your throat." If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?! shows Heimel at her wicked best. When sex p ...more
Published October 9th 2002 by Grove Press (first published 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!

Glen Engel-Cox
I really wanted to like this book. With a great title like that, I expected it to be a comic look at the relations between men and women, likely coming hard down on the side of women. Instead, it is a mismash of New York angst mixed with the fading regret of yet another runaway from the 60s. In short, choppy doses (each section was originally published as individual essays in Playboy, Cosmopolitan, or The Village Voice), Heimel raves against the world, but not of it ever is funny enough to make ...more
Sara Schraeder
Jun 07, 2014 Sara Schraeder rated it really liked it
Her essay entitled "Why I Hate Marilyn" earns five stars. And should be required reading in a culture idolizing the likes of Paris Hilton and Kim Khardashian.
Ashley
Jan 05, 2010 Ashley rated it it was ok
Organized into essays on the times (late 80s), women, men, women and men, and the author's life, this book got off to a slow start for me. This is likely due to the fact that the first set of essays dealt with the 80s, which felt totally irrelevant. This is also the first book by Heimel that I've read, so I feel like I didn't quite get where she was coming from when I first picked this book up.

The book really hit its stride when it came to the section on women, men, and women and men. The essay
Shane
May 01, 2014 Shane rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
A collection of dated and angsty feminist rants. A lot of the essays contain the same basic and tired themes: All men are shallow, chauvinistic pigs all the time; women who aren't hardcore, bra-burning feminists are just mindless sex objects and/or too stupid to provide for themselves; women who are hardcore, bra-burning feminists are automatically the most amazing people ever.
Stacy
Jan 07, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't quite as funny as I was expecting it to be but I did chuckle a few times. It has some really interesting points though on everything from friendship, dating, parenting, and PMS. It was quite entertaining.
Nicola
Apr 15, 2015 Nicola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Heimel's books, they are hilarious but true to life
Evelyn
Apr 09, 2015 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Classic sarcastic middle age woman writing. It was funny witty and well written.
Alice Urchin
Oct 18, 2012 Alice Urchin rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
After reading one of Cynthia Heimel's essays in an anthology (Here Lies My Heart was the anthology, I can't remember the name of her essay), I decided to buy three of her books on Amazon. This book is (mostly) a collection of short columns she wrote for Playboy Magazine. She's clever and witty, but not as outrageous as, say, Chelsea Handler. Also, a lot of her columns are colored by feminist thought, which is cool.
Barbara
Good snarky stuff
Sadie
Apr 05, 2008 Sadie rated it did not like it
I know I should like this-the author is labeld as funny and feminist, blah blah blah. But honestly, this book is the literary equivalent of the old Catskills comedians that may have been funny or edgy in their day but their schtick doesn't translate well in current days. So, I might try another of her books but this one did not age well.
Miund
Jul 15, 2007 Miund rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love Sex and The City
I thought 'Carrie Bradshaw' was the coolest and sexiest columnist ever. Well, before Sarah-Jessica Parker was even out of high school, Cynthia Heimel was already sexy in the city. I laughed aloud reading her bits on men, sex, dating and neighbors. Such a witty writer... and the best thing is: She's not a fictional character! HA!
Meter
Dec 03, 2011 Meter added it
gabby feminist perspective.

written in around 1991. much is silly, dated, a brand of irreverent toss-about humor thats not that funny... but it only takes a few hours and serves as a recap of some forgotten territory. a realization that some complaints have been around a while.
Janet
I read this collection of her columns back when it was published in 1991, and loved it then. I just re-read it, and while parts of it are dated*, her humor and insight still shine.[return][return]*pun intended.
Mary Ridderbusch
Mar 08, 2011 Mary Ridderbusch rated it it was ok
funny but a little dated for me (most of her articles were written when I was in diapers). Also, maybe reading it at the wrong time- too happy in my relationship and too comfortable with myself. Found it overly cynical.
James
Dec 11, 2007 James rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Hilarious and thought-provoking... I love Heimel's observations and essays on contemporary culture, using her own experiences and her observations of her teenage son's learning about life as starting-out points.
Maureen Flatley
Jul 07, 2009 Maureen Flatley rated it it was amazing
I've probably read this book twenty times. It's just hilarious. A funny, funny, funny book which applies regardless of your "relationship" status. Let's all read it again.
Marta
Jul 30, 2012 Marta rated it really liked it
one of the funniest books around. my favorite essay was PMS & Outfits ... I practically peed myself. I highly recommend reading this book. It's a really quick, fun read.
Lori
Jun 05, 2009 Lori rated it did not like it
Didn't really like her style of writing. Pretty much feminist ranting, and not the good kind. Was hoping she would live up to the humor of her title. Was disappointed.
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, nonfiction, essays
You can keep your Candace Bushnell. Heimel is way funnier. And rather less fashion-obsessed.
Natalie
Mar 06, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
Es entretenido, los ensayos son divertidos y puedes reír en numerosas ocaciones.
Clint
Nov 03, 2007 Clint rated it really liked it
I can't remember why I read this piece of non-fiction chick lit, but it was really funny.
Kate
Apr 01, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I read this...5 stars for the title alone. :D
Kylie Briggs
Jan 23, 2012 Kylie Briggs rated it did not like it
Sorry, I don't think using the F-word a lot makes you funny.
Jill
Dec 10, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
Hilarious collection of essays! Very fun to read.
Deb Davis
Sep 08, 2009 Deb Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her more than chocolate.
Kerrie
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • Is Sex Necessary? or Why You Feel the Way You Do
  • How to Raise Your I.Q. by Eating Gifted Children
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • When Do They Serve the Wine?: The Folly, Flexibility, and Fun of Being a Woman
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • Social Studies
  • Thinking Out Loud
  • The Norton Reader: An Anthology of Nonfiction
  • Coyote v. Acme
  • Mommy Knows Worst: Highlights from the Golden Age of Bad Parenting Advice

“You can't take away knowledge, and it's dangerous to pretend you never had it.” 9 likes