Start by marking “Star Bright!: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
Star Bright!: A Christmas Story

Star Bright!: A Christmas Story

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  256 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
It's beginning to look a lot like an American Christmas: unpleasant relatives, miserable travel, a slobbering dog-and one "harmless American of Irish origins," Jack Flanigan, who is reluctantly falling in love with a young Russian woman studying at Harvard.

She's spending Christmas alone in a foreign country, so he invites the dark-eyed beauty home to Chicago for the holida
Published November 1st 2004 by Forge Books (first published August 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Star Bright!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Bright!

♥♥Mari♥♥
What a delightful introduction to the work of Andrew Greeley this novel is! It’s magical, mystical, tender, and humorously romantic.

The magic comes from the heroine, the unusual and gifted Odessa Tatiana Alekseevna. Her besotted boyfriend, who narrates their story, deftly makes her come alive for the reader; she is a luminous beauty, a highly talented artist, and a mystic who is on very intimate terms with God.

Jack Flanigan is an Irish-American Catholic boy. Tatiana is Russian Orthodox, born in
Manuel Sanchez
Apr 09, 2015 Manuel Sanchez rated it really liked it
Andrew M. Greeley (February 5, 1928 – May 29, 2013) was an Irish-American Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist and popular novelist.Greeley was probably the best-selling priest in history. This was a warm holiday novel about falling in love and meeting "the one" but with a strong sense of love, spirituality, and faith. It was a great read as I headed toward the Christmas season.
Anna
I discovered this novella a few years ago, and it has since become one of my favorite Christmas stories.
Cindy
Dec 25, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This is a contemporary ( copyright 1997) Christmas novella. It's only 6 chapters, but well written.

Jack meets a Russian expatriot, calling herself Odessa (really Tatiana). They start spending time together & he takes her home to his family for Christmas.

I really liked this story. It's short, but you see the progression of the relationship & the promise of a future.
Michael
Jul 23, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
A nice easy read. It feels like this is Greeley's outline for his Nuala Anne McGrail mysteries. A lot of the same situations and relationships. Takes place in the same locale.
It is good enough to stand alone if one hasn't read the McGrail series, but having done so, I couldn't help but make the comparisons, and this is the weaker book.
Patricia
Dec 24, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Jan 09, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this Christmas story years ago and it still remains one of my favorites. Since I revisited it this morning,I notice all the references that I didn't appreciate the first time around. I often tell my fellow book lovers what a great Christmas novella it is. Happy that I read it again because it has a great message.
Marlo
Dec 07, 2014 Marlo rated it liked it
Humorous and easy to read, although a little on the strange side, this sweet romance with Christmas as its backdrop was enjoyable.
Echo
Dec 01, 2010 Echo rated it really liked it
I do love Andrew M. Greeley's work. He does have his flaws. For example, Jack and Odessa in "Star Bright!" are pretty much mirror images of Dermot and Nuala from the Nuala Anne books. There are a lot of recurring elements other than that as well. I do enjoy reading the stories anyway, though. And part of what gets me is religious "mysticism." There's a lot of that in this book, and it's beautifully written. Some Christmas books I've read, while well done, leave me with a sort of disappointed fee ...more
Timothy
Jan 19, 2015 Timothy rated it really liked it
One of two? Christmas stories that brings hope, laughter and joy. Simple, easy read for the season.
Ellen
Oct 14, 2012 Ellen rated it liked it
A short little Christmas story following on the heels of the success of the Christmas box. It was a sweet, sappy love story with strong, faithful characters. Okay, so it won't be a major piece of classic literature but I love Andrew Greeley's descriptions of the dysfunctional, Irish-Catholic family. They are not perfect but with their faith in God, it doesn't matter, somehow it all works. That's what I love about Andrew Greeley stories-characters infused with faith but they're not perfect-maybe ...more
Polly
Dec 31, 2014 Polly rated it really liked it
Quite charming!
Sandie
Nov 13, 2014 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Lovely!
Lenore
Jan 19, 2014 Lenore rated it really liked it
Completely enjoyable, feel good read.
Jackie
Nov 29, 2013 Jackie rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Yes, the dark lovely lady is a charming artist and the rich baritone gentleman speaks only in abbreviated sentences. Throw in some folklore from Russia with Irish Catholicism at Christmas time, and all the world loves itself and others. Isn't that Christmas for you, me, them, us? Let me now try the Russian tea ceremony. Next, the food.... Mmmm.
Jay
Jan 07, 2013 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, 2012
This story is, on one level, a nice story about the start of a romantic love. On a different level, it is an allegory with definite religious overtones. While it worked well on both levels, it wasn't the best read-aloud story. I'm no longer sure where I got the idea that it would be, but my son never wanted me to quit reading it.
Fredrick Danysh
May 02, 2012 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Father Greeley writes a delightful short Christmas romance about the true meaning of Christmas and human nature. As in his Bishop Blackie Ryan novels, he alludes to God as a woman. In the story a young man of Irish background from Chiago meets a young Russian woman at Yale University nd nature takes its course. No sex acts.
Sue Klasing
It was OK, not as good as I had hoped.
Diana
Jul 30, 2011 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was about a Russian woman sharing Christmas with an American family with all their "warts and moles." (means all their usual problems and squables)
However, her look at Christmas makes us all think about our families and the holidays and how we should enjoy them.
Jan 07, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
A Harvard student and a Boston College student have a chance meeting and become friends because they both speak Russian. She is from Russia; he has a great interest in the country and the girl. They are both characters I would like to know. Their love story is a very sweet one.
Steve
Dec 26, 2012 Steve added it
Christmas short story about an Irish college student who falls for a Russian college student and their first Christmas together with his Irish family. Good contrast between cultures, if highly stereotyped. Wish the story could have continued, a very quick read (Nook)
Doris
May 26, 2011 Doris rated it really liked it
A good, easy read. It is very similar to the Nuala McGrail series but overall well done. I enjoyed the main female character, but thought she was overdone. Still, this is a good book for travel or a rainy night.
Laurie
Dec 07, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it
Love the combination of Russian and Irish. Sweet story, and I know it's in line with the Holidays, but would prefer a little less sappy...
John
Dec 25, 2013 John rated it really liked it
One of my Christmas books almost every year. A simple short story but quite wonderful characters. Definitely worth a quick read.
Helen Southall
Dec 19, 2009 Helen Southall rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
An okay Christmas story – lot’s of comparisons of Irish Catholic traditions and Russian Othodox traditions. A bit preachy.
Joan
Dec 15, 2008 Joan rated it liked it
Just have to read a Christmas book or two every year; this one is short and typical Greeley.
Janet Wright
Apr 21, 2011 Janet Wright rated it liked it
Sweet little Christmas story with an unusual female character. Enjoyable, QUICK read!
Tina  M
Jul 22, 2010 Tina M rated it really liked it
I liked this Christmas story because it exposes a culture that is not so "American"
Stephanie
Dec 19, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
REad this author years ago. Bought the book for $1. Fast read. Nice story line.
Marti
Jun 20, 2012 Marti added it
Shelves: christmas
As I like to do, Christmas books in December.
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Stories Behind the Great Traditions of Christmas
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • A Covington Christmas
  • My Christmas Angels
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Twas the Night Before: A Love Story
  • God's Armor Bearer
  • The Christmas Tree
  • A Door County Christmas: Four Romances Warm Hearts in Wisconsin's Version of Cape Cod
  • Aloha, Mozart
  • The Prayer Chest: A Novel About Receiving All of Life's Riches
  • Regency Christmas Proposals
  • New Frontier
  • The True Saint Nicholas: Why He Matters to Christmas
  • God's Chosen Fast
  • A Rumpole Christmas
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...