Start by marking “The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show” as Want to Read:
The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show

The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show (Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show )

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  12,343 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Collected here in one deluxe edition is the complete 12-part saga that comprises the comic book adaptation of master of horror Clive Barker's epic journey into the fantastic, The Great and Secret Show. Adapted by Chris Ryall and artist Gabriel Rodriguez, this collection presents the ultimate battle between good and evil that spans many decades and dimensions.

Also featuring
Published November 8th 2006 by IDW Publishing (first published 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show

Tagged by Joseph M. ChironA Life To Waste - A Novel of Violence and Horror by Andrew LennonCoraline by Neil GaimanPlebs by Jim GoforthGrundish and Askew by Lance Carbuncle
Twisted Tales
91st out of 318 books — 309 voters
The Secret of Excalibur by Sahara FoleyThe Claiming of Angelica, the Supernatural Sleuth by Bella SwannThe Claiming of Angelica, the Supernatural Sleuth by Bella SwannSugar Daddy by Marc CabotCyteen by C.J. Cherryh
Best Stories about Mind Control
43rd out of 70 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamieson
In the dead letter room in the middle of Omaha, Randolph Jaffe has stumbled upon a secret. At first, the secret isn’t clear, just vague references to something called the Art. The Art begins to consume Jaffe, taking over his life. Its secrets continue to elude Jaffe until he cracks part of the code.

The Art are laws governing an alternate reality called Quididdty. Quididdty is the dream see, the dreamscape, the magic that runs through all our fantasies. Jaffe can think of nothing else except the
Alex Telander
CLIVE BARKER’S THE GREAT AND SECRET SHOW, VOLUME 1 BY CHRIS RYALL AND GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ: It’s always interesting to see how graphic novel adaptations of complex and long books are going to turn out. Thankfully, Ryall’s and Rodriguez’s adaptation of Barker’s book is one that he is proud of, and will make fans happy. For a summary of the novel, see my review for The Great and Secret Show.

The key here is that this is the first volume in an at least two-volume series, because the forty or fifty page
Antonio
He leído poco a Clive Barker y The Great and Secret Show, menos aún. Así que la comparación de la novela con la novela gráfica de Chris Ryall y Gabriel Rodríguez se me escapa. Mi problema con esta versión es el dibujo de Gabriel Rodríguez, magníficos, por supuesto, pero demasiado parecidos a su trabajo en la fenomenal "Lock and Key" con Joe Hill. De hecho, son casi calcados en muchos momentos. Esos monstruos horribles salidos de la cabeza de los personajes, esas caras ensombrecidas en segundo pl ...more
Katie Burton
I've generally found Clive Barker a little hit or miss: when he hits he hits big time, as he did with Weaveworld and Imagica. When he misses it's not that he doesn't hit the target, it's just that it's not a bullseye, and the impact is a little weak.

The Great and Secret Show was a miss for me. It had so many of Barker's trademark brilliant hooks, but as a whole it did not come together for me at all. To be frank, it left such a mediocre impression that I can't put my finger on any specifics that
Andrew
Jul 29, 2011 Andrew added it
I haven't read the novel that this is adapted from, so am in no position to make comparisons, but once I started reading this one I had to keep going. Clive Barker has such a bizarre and twisted imagination and creates such astonishing worlds, I can fully understand why people would want to create graphic adaptations of them. The artists have crated wonderful imagery to portray this fascinating tale. It's just a shame I'll have to wait for the library to order in a copy of volume two.
Sam Reader
Here's all I have to say about the graphic novel adaptation of The Great and Secret Show:

If I ever take a book with those rich descriptions and that brilliant control over narrative atmosphere and form and grotesquerie, and I turn it into this, I want someone to dump me in a ditch. There's artistic interpretation, and there's stripping all the chrome and paint off of a beautiful car. This is sadly the latter.
Brian Yatman
This was fun enough, in a kinda Carlos Castaneda-meets-H.P. Lovecraft-with-some X-Files-thrown-in way.

The artist is obsessed with boobies, though. I like 'em well enough, but in moderation. Some of the pages almost had big red arrows labelled "BOOBIES!!! printed on them. I guess it's comic-book thing: artist can draw women hot, can't really draw women normal or vaguely pretty or the countless other variations encountered in real life.

Also: a major plot-point involves a sentient lake raping and
Jamie
If I had realized that this was the first of a trilogy I wouldn't even have finished reading it. When something contains the word "complete" in the title, it implies a one-and-done scenario, which is why I pushed through. It's not that the writing or the art are bad, they're not. In fact the writing is well done and the art is very good, the story just didn't grab me. The first quarter intrigued me so I kept going, but the more we learned (or didn't learn, depending on your view) about the art, ...more
Kirsten
This mostly made me want to read the actual book, because I felt like a lot of stuff must be getting glossed over. It's all right, and I'll probably check out the next installment from the library when they get it, but something about the way the artist draws eyes really annoyed me.
Simon Salas
Jan 05, 2011 Simon Salas is currently reading it
ok so far. Clive is a great writer, yet sometimes drags a bit. the art is ok, nothing to write home about.
Bandit
Pretty good, not amazing, but pretty good.
Phil
I had to buy the second volume.
Ray
Everyone should read this. For adults.
Catherine Gordon
Loved this book.
James Jesso
I absolutely loved this, the latter portion moved a bit quick but didnt hurt story as a whole.. Sad to say I haven't read the entire novel this is based from, but this rendition was superb. Being that the last gn rendition of clive barker was the thief of always, which was a terrible take on an incredible book, this made up for it ten fold.

Highly recommend to comic people who like a complex ontos and don't mind a lot of verbal reading.
Christoph Segers
Zeer complex verhaal, surrealistisch zoals we dat gewoon zijn van Clive Barker. Heb het boek een kleine eeuwigheid geleden gelezen en nu dus de graphic novel. Het artwork is van de bovenste plank, al helpt het niet om het verhaal toegankelijker te maken. Weer zo'n boek dat je helemaal doorworsteld moet hebben voordat je het gaat appreciëren en waarvan je onderweg verschillende keren serieus moet doorbijten. Wellicht moet het een tweede keer gelezen worden om het echt helemaal te kunnen doorgrond ...more
RC Brophy
I read this in my teens, and it took a while for me to get into what was going on, but once I did, I was sucked in and couldn't put the book down until it was finished.
Elizabeth D'Aste
Read this a long time ago, but Clive Barkers work always leaves a stron impression. His imagination is startling as is his art work.
Jeff Suwak
I've read this book a couple times. It's one of my favorites in the genre. Definitely, definitely worth the read.
Blu
This was a decent adaptation of Barker's sprawling novel. The problem with adapting anything the size of THE GREAT AND SECRET SHOW is that you can't include everything. Some of the cracks show pretty large, despite Ryall's best efforts. There are many places where you can see events have been compressed to stay within twelve issues. Perhaps an approach similar to what Marvel is taking with Stephen King's THE STAND would have been more appropriate. That being said, this adaptation captures the to ...more
Amcii
ABSOLUTELY CAPTIVATIVATING!!!
Arax Miltiadous
Μνήμη, προφητεία και φαντασία - το παρελθόν, το μέλλον και η στιγμή του ονείρου ανάμεσα τους- όλα συνυπάρχουν σ' έναν τόπο, σε μία, μοναδική ατέρμονη ημέρα.
Αν το γνωρίζεις αυτό, είναι σοφία.
Αν ξέρεις να το χρησιμοποιείς, είναι η Τέχνη.

πολύ ωραία εικονογράφηση και διασκευή.
Παρότι προτιμώ να χάνομαι στα τερτίπια της δικιάς μου φαντασίας, έτσι το βιβλίο με έχει κερδίσει περισσότερο.
Για τους λάτρεις του κόμικς, Απαιτείται!
Kelly
I read this back when it was first published and was totally taken by it. Then I saw that there were only a few pages left and thought 'this can't be summed up in these few pages". I looked at the cover to see that it was book 1. More than five years later I picked up the second book, but had not read it yet. I wanted to read the first one again, which I just did.
It was as awesome as I remember!
Looking forward to book 2!
R.kerkdyk
I enjoyed the underlying story, but Rodriguez' drawing style is just not my cup of tea.
Ania
This is one of my favourite books of all time.
I'm unable to tell you why but it was always so freaky, mysterious..
It's a great mix of horror, fantasy, romance and kind of a psychological story about different people from various societies and their needs that come out in pretty creepy variations.
Aaron
Page 168: drinking Slurm! Slurms MacKenzie would be proud.

Excellent book! Fascinating, graphic without feeling exploitative or gratuitous. Gabriel Rodruigez is an absolute genius, as usual - the style and execution of the visual aspect of this book is flawless. I'm in love with the Death-boy.
J  Malcolm Stewart
Clive's entry into the epic horror ring still stands out for its inventiveness and quirky narrative. It lacks some attention to the details of 70's and 80's California life (speaking as a long time Californian), but that aside, we have a worthy addition to his late 80's/ early 90's work.
Joseph
This is my second/third favorite Clive Barker novel. The adaptation takes some of the grosser stuff out of the book. (There are creatures that the character Kissoon makes from his own bodily products...enough said.) The art by Gabriel Rodriguez is amazing.
Panagiotis
Πολύ καλή διασκευή και υπέροχο σκίτσο δεδομένου ότι πρέπει να εικονοποιήσει κάποιος ένα βιβλίο τόσο περίπλοκο και αριστουργηματικό όπως το βιβλίο του Barker. Ότι πρέπει λοιπόν για μια πρώτη γνωριμία με τον συγγραφέα και τον κόσμο του.
Cristian Marrero
It is definitely picking up in this graphic novel. I wish it could be more like the book, but that isn't possible. Midway point and I'm interested to see how they recreate Fletcher for the final battle.
  • Imajica: The Fifth Dominion
  • Clive Barker's Night Breed: Genesis
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best, Vol. 1
  • Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror
  • Hellraiser: Collected Best II
  • The Transition of H. P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness

Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show (2 books)
  • Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, Volume 2
Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, Volume 2 Zombies Vs. Robots Zombies vs. Robots Complete Beowulf Zombies vs. Robots vs. Amazons