Start by marking “Night of the Fox” as Want to Read:
Night of the Fox

Night of the Fox (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,060 ratings  ·  47 reviews
On a secret sea maneuver just before D-Day, American Colonel Hugh Kelso goes down in the English Channel. Wounded and adrift for days, he washes ashore on the German-occupied island of Jersey. The news spreads panic through the Allied high command: Kelso knows the time and place of the invasion. He must be rescued -- or silenced. A British professor turned Nazi impersonato...more
Published May 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Fox

The Night Circus by Erin MorgensternThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe ThrillPlex Theater by Brandon SwarrowThe Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Books That Would Honestly Make Great Movies!
45th out of 252 books — 69 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutThe Winds of War by Herman WoukAtonement by Ian McEwan
World War II Fiction
409th out of 599 books — 971 voters

More lists with this book...

Joe Newell
It's always a mixed bag with a Jack Higgins novel. Some are really good, some I think the good Mr.Higgins wrote in his sleep. This one was from his golden era, and the genre that made him famous: WW2 and Nazi's. It was good and worth the read.
Kara Jorges
It’s near the end of World War II, and Hugh Kelso is an American officer who knows important information about the pending invasion in France when his boat is sunk in the English Channel. His rescue raft washes up on the shore of the isle of Jersey, which is presently under German occupation. Hugh is lucky to be rescued by Helen de Ville, a Jersey resident who hides him in her home and gets a message to the Allies that she has him. A rescue team is sent, as it is imperative that Hugh Kelso be ke...more
David Gooch
Another cracking read by Higgins who just knows how to tell a war story and give it suspense. Keeps you reading.

Highly recommend this one especially if it is still free on Kindle.

This one is the story of a clandestine operation to recover a high ranking officer from Jersey and how they go about it.
Linda
Prompted by an interest fused by THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND PPP SOCIETY, I searched the card catlog at the library and found several books that dealth with the Nazi occupation of the channel islands. This is one of those books. It's not great, but it is a murder mystery and has characters devoted to skulduggery and strange sexual practices. The history of the Channel Islands helped me build on my research into this fascinating and unbeknownst, to me, era in history. This book was made into a movi...more
Lisa
A good, old-fashioned thriller, set in WWII, mostly on the German-occupied island of Jersey. Good plot and well-done characters, although more plot- than character-driven. Not a wasted moment, but nothing essential omitted--a satisfying read.
Patrick Noble
Jack Higgins is one of those authors you're just not allowed to knock. He wrote Where Eagles Dare and it's absolutely awesome, so automatically that means everyone gives higher ratings to his other stuff.
Unfortunately, the truth is that like other authors, his output can vary in quality. Some of it, I'm afraid, really isn't very good. That's where Night of the Fox falls on the spectrum of his work.
If you're a completionist, if you absolutely have to read everything an author's ever done, then...more
Jboom
Fredrick Danysh
During an amphibious assault exercise off Slapton Sands, German patrol boats attack the American landing craft carrying the troops involved. Among that group is an American Engineer colonel privy to the D-Day invasion plans. Wounded, he drifts to the Jersey Islands which are occupied by the Germans. An attempt is made to rescue or eliminate him before he falls into German hands. A pretty fair spy thriller.
Kathy
One of Jack Higgins's earlier thrillers. It's set on the Island of Jersey during WWII. Two SOE agents go in to rescue an American Army officer accidentally stranded there. The book is filled with some great characters and the action never stops, what one expects of Higgins. wonderful story
Keith
This exciting spy novel about the World War II era is so historically detailed it might have actually happened. After a wounded American officer, with too much information about the impending allied invasion of Europe, is lost at sea he turns up on the German occupied island of Jersey. It then becomes top priority for British intelligence to locate him and either rescue him or eliminate him. Two British citizens fit the bill for attempting to find him; an experienced agent who has often passed a...more
Stephen
My first Jack Higgins novel, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Taking place in real locations during historic times with some actual persons as characters, Higgin's writing reminds me a great deal of the early works of best-selling author Ken Follett.

This definitely won't be my last Higgin's.
Lili
I read this Jack Higgins novel when it was first released in 1986 and now re-reading this free Kindle edition found it just as fascinating. A cracking WW11 SOE espionage adventure, intriguing well written plot.
Adrian Johnson
Night of the Fox

I felt that the end fell a little bit short of the nail biter it was building to. The assembly of characters was a delight. Reading more.
John Thomas
Good old fashion WW II story about an Allied spy working for the British.
L.J.
Jan 10, 2008 L.J. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fiction, adventure
Shelves: take-or-leave
For escapist reading it is great but the one thing about Higgins that I am not overly impressed with is his imagination. He paces stories very well, creates great characters, and puts together reasonably interesting plot drivers but there is something missing for me. It is like Clancy for WWII lovers which for me would be enough but the plots become a little weak and the pacing becomes a tad bit flat. My only complaint is once you have read a Higgins novel you pretty much know what any book he w...more
Bart Hopkins
Very good book if you like historical fiction with a military structure. It resembles Tom Clancy without the technical detail and my opinion is that the writing isn't quite up to Clancy's speed. If you like this sort of thing, I believe the author's name is really Patterson and he's written over 70 books, so there is a treasure chest of books out there, waiting for interested readers.

Good plot, interesting characters, and some WWII perspectives I was not familiar with.

A few times it was predicta...more
Judith
Excellent war time thriller.
Woofas
An excellent read, an intriguing plot with many twist & turns.
Amy
I wish the formatting of the ebook was as good as the hard copy.
Athelstan
A dangerous yet fun story of war and dooublecrossing set on the beautiful Channel Island of Jersey. Harry Martineau is one of the best characters I've read in many years. It's a great book that reads quick and doesn't let you down.
Jim
Jan 05, 2013 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of WWII fiction and nonfiction
This was offered as one of the Amazon Daily deals. I picked it up as I've enjoyed Higgins other books and have a fondness for both fiction and nonfiction works involving the WWII era. Higgins does a good ob of making you connect with his characters. He avoids some of the more unbelievable action sequences often found in the genre. There were some minor formatting problems with this e-book version but, in general, it was a better than average transfer.
Claire
I haven't read a Jack Higgins for years so when this one was offered as a Kindle Daily Deal I bought it. I'm so glad I did because it reminded me how good this genre of 20th Century spy novels can be. I will be looking for more Jack Higgins at the library. Similar writers I would like to read more of are Len Deighton, Frederick Forsyth, Ken Follett & Tom Clancy.
Michael ODonnabhain
This was the first Jack Higgins novel I've ever read - not really my genre, but read it as research for my blog http://learningabouttheworld.blogspot... - it was fairly enjoyable - the good guys are the villains, which is interesting and his portrayal of the main female character is very revealing!
Tom Barnes

Allies secrete invasion plans lost with Colonel Kelso when his landing craft sinks in exercise off German occupied Jersey. Kelso is severly wounded but escapes and is hidden by Allied partisans. However to salvage the war plans Kelso has to be found and returned. Young Sarah Drayton Knows Jersey and helps with Kelso’s escape.
A.L. Sowards
The last Jack Higgins I read (a Sean Dillon novel) was a disappointment, so I read this one to help me figure out why I liked his books so much when I was in high school. This one didn't disappoint! A fun read--would have liked the epilogue to be a little different, but I won't give away what happens by going into detail here.
Chuck
I occasionally read a Jack Higgins novel although they all seem be vaguely alike. Espionage, World War II, very British and and to my untrained intellect, a little stuffy. Enough said, if you care for this spy advebture, you should like them all. They are a very easy read and can be completed quickly.
Andrew
This was the first book I've read by Jack Higgins, but I enjoyed it. There are some plot holes, and characters that just don't feel quite believable... But it was a fun, quick read that didn't require much investment. Fit just what I was looking for when I picked it up.
Vishal
this was the first jack higgins book i ever read... i was in 4th grade, and between the nazis and the racy bits, i was enthralled. he was my favorite author between 4th and 7th grade. i wrote him a letter once but he never responded.
Lindasttop
I really enjoyed this book. I have read "The Guenesy Literarcy and Potato Peel Pie Society" and enjoyed learning about the people of Guenesy during the war and this book brings it back from the soldier's perspective. Very good!
  • Partisans
  • XPD
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • Most Secret
  • GoldenEye (John Gardner's Bond, #15)
  • The Fist of God
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • The Rhinemann Exchange
  • The Cry of the Halidon
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3) The Eagle Has Flown