Start by marking “Long Gone Daddy” as Want to Read:
Long Gone Daddy

Long Gone Daddy

When a young man's grandfather dies, he and his minister father travel to pick up the body, and learn to understand each other. Harlan Q is living and working in a funeral home, which he finds easier than living with his Bible-thumping minister father. When his grandfather dies, he has to convince his father, Harlan P, to pick up the corpse. With little money and a quickly ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Front Street, Incorporated (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Long Gone Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Gone Daddy

Kelly Finan
Aug 28, 2008 Kelly Finan rated it liked it
I feel like this book came very close, but no cigar. I kept looking for more: getting inside the characters MORE, just a tiny bit deeper relationships between the characters...It was almost there! I loved the plot line of a struggling PK.
Very impressive for Hemphill's first novel, I can't wait to read Runaround to see if it made its mark!
Stacy Nyikos
Jul 25, 2016 Stacy Nyikos rated it liked it
This is the story of a boy's journey to find himself and an emotional link to his father. Long Gone Daddy was a hard read for me. I've tried to figure out why. Partly, it has to do with the fact that I live in the bible-belt of the United States where extreme, religiously zealous personalities – part and parcel of this story – are woven deeply into everyday life. I've been damned, urged to save my soul, and misunderstood so often, I've developed an aversion to anything that reflects the type of ...more
May 23, 2009 GoddardLibrary rated it really liked it
This book is set in the 70s, and is a very unique book! Harlan Q, the narrator, is a PK (Preacher's Kid) who's had a falling out with his dad, Harlan P, because he is questioning religion He's been living and working at the local mortuary~ the story opens with the mortician preparing Harlan O's, the grandfather that Harlan Q has never met, body for burial. They end up on a road trip to take his Grandfather's body to Las Vegas for burial and to pick up a $50,000 inheritance and that's when the fu ...more
Dec 27, 2012 Karyl rated it liked it
I agree with another reviewer that while this book is good, it seems like it's just not quite "there" yet. I would have liked a little more meat to the story. I also felt that once things came to a head in Las Vegas, the story sort of just petered away. It was really good up until that point. I have to say that it's impressive that this is Hemphill's first novel. I'll have to see what else she has written so I can compare.
Theresa Milstein
I thought this had a compelling voice. Certainly not a subject-matter I read very often. I wanted the dad to take a break from being a preacher to being a father. The MC weaved in and out of character, and I saw the end coming pretty much. But I found the writing easy to read and it kept my interest.
Jun 22, 2008 Kathi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ten and up
Helen Hemphill has established herself as an author to watch with this fast-paced debut novel. I felt like I was in the car with these heart-warming characters as they crossed the desert and in the process found themselves and each other.
Apr 22, 2014 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, vcfa
Helen Hemphill drew these characters so well. A father and son with a difficult relationship, driving the dead body of the father’s estranged father, is such a fabulous setup for conflict. She didn’t resolve it with sweet syrup, either. I love that.
Finally. The
May 02, 2008 Finally. The is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Guys more then girls
It's interesting so far, I'm about half way through it. So far it isn't amazing, but, hey, something to read. -nods-
Tyler Weis
Jul 20, 2013 Tyler Weis rated it liked it
I read this book about two years ago, but I thought this book was pretty good and the ending was somewhat sad, but overall it was a nice read.
Megan Richards
Megan Richards rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2008
Jamie rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2008
Ann Jacobus
Ann Jacobus rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2010
M. rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Slowen rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2009
Gael  Lynch
Gael Lynch rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2011
M rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2014
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
J. Brent Bill
J. Brent Bill rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2008
DJ rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Michele rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2010
Kate rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2010
Rebecca rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
bp rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2008
Em rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2015
Kay rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Joslynn rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2011
Little rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2007
Dr. K.
Dr. K. rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2010
Bebe rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Jesus Lopez
Oct 27, 2015 Jesus Lopez rated it it was amazing
it was a great book
Hailed as “a strong new voice in children’s literature” by Kirkus Reviews, Helen Hemphill grew up in Wichita Falls, Texas and now lives with her family in Nashville, Tennessee and Austin, Texas.

Her first novel Long Gone Daddy (Front Street 2006) won the 2007 Teddy Award for young adult fiction from the Writers’ League of Texas and was named to the New York Public Library’s Books for the Teen Ag
More about Helen Hemphill...