Start by marking “The FairTax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS” as Want to Read:
The FairTax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS

The FairTax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  1,614 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
Wouldn't you love to abolish the IRS ...
Keep all the money in your paycheck ...
Pay taxes on what you spend, not what you earn ...
And eliminate all the fraud, hassle, and waste of our current system?

Then the FairTax is for you. In the face of the outlandish American tax burden, talk-radio firebrand Neal Boortz and Congressman John Linder are leading the charge to phase out
Published August 2nd 2005 by William Morrow (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The FairTax Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The FairTax Book

Feb 12, 2008 Lauri rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
This is a very hard book for a bleeding-heart liberal girl like me to read. As an adult, I have come to believe that the income tax is a punitive tax for middle class and especially lower class people. However, for those wealthy people who manage to scrape up enough cash for a vacation home, a yacht, and multiple luxury cars, I doubt that the income tax is truly impeding their ability to eke out a life of quality and security. I am a middle class American, and, while my taxes are high, they do n ...more
Sep 30, 2007 Tammi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who votes
This is a must read for anyone who votes and requires government accountability for the spending of our tax dollars. It is an easy read in easy to understand language and Boortz adds a bit of humor.
Sep 14, 2008 Peter rated it did not like it
I saw Neal Boortz during some economic policy "round table" on television and heard a bit about Fair Tax. The premise of this movement is that income tax of every sort (regular income tax, payroll tax, estate tax, investment tax) should be abolished and replaced with a 23% sales tax on everything. Sounds simple, vaguely Steve Forbesian, but would it work. My first instinct was to think, wow, this is preposterous. If we have marginal taxation rates in the mid-30% range, how will a 23% sales tax y ...more
Dec 03, 2007 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I was really impressed by this book, and I'm definitely going to do my part to help the FairTax get signed into law and the income tax repealed. I knew the IRS was bad, but I had no idea how wasteful and unfortunate the income tax is until I read this book. It doesn't matter what your politics are, at the very least this book will make you rethink your support of the income tax.
Feb 10, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who pays taxes
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not an economist, but the principles of this book seem sound and its implications profound. I've done some research into the common objections to this plan, and none seem to hold their weight. The elegance and simplicity of a consumption tax, coupled with the benefits for the economy seem to make it a no-brainer.

Boortz, although witty at times, tries a little too hard to be funny. Some of the explanations, while supporting sound principles, have a bit too much of a deceptive marketing spin f
Oct 08, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who thinks the IRS has too much power & believes in a more fair and simple tax code
Recommended to Jeff by: my good friend, Matt Pitts
I'm not an economist, but not only did I read this book in a morning, but I actually understood it! After reading this book, I don't see how anyone could be against the Fair Tax, a proposal currently in the Congress that would actually abolish the IRS and replace income taxes with the fair tax (which is NOT a flat tax or a VAT tax). It is actually quite entertaining throughout with lots of humor and simple explanations.
Oct 25, 2007 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics, economics
Is the national sales tax a good idea? Sounds a bit too much like a silver bullet. I hate paying income tax as much as the next guy, but this seems too simple. The arguments against the tax are dismissed with supposed benefits of the tax, some of which seem downright miraculous.
Jarrod Jenkins
Nov 20, 2008 Jarrod Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
These important pages contain an indictment of the Rube Goldberg monstrosity that is our current tax code and a beautifully elegant solution to the problem.

I am obsessed with the idea of the FairTax, a national retail sales tax, because it provides numerous benefits and no insurmountable drawbacks. It would eliminate the IRS and hundreds of billions of dollars in compliance costs alone. It would reward saving, work, and effort. It is automatically progressive in that those who spend more will pa
Sep 10, 2016 Mckinley rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, gov, finance
About a single tax - consumption - replacing income tax. Important topic, needs revision for sure.
There are many less biased sources with more detailed descriptions of realistic scenarios.

- Many comments about size of returns from income tax rather than knowing how much tax one pays. Seems to me that if one cares, one can find out very easily. And one can adjust one's withholding to withhold less during the year and thus get less of a refund.
- It may well be that corporations have many loophole
Robin Canaday
Nov 17, 2007 Robin Canaday rated it it was ok
Replacing all Federal income taxes with a 23% consumption tax on new goods and services at the retail level is an intriguing idea and sounds like a good idea in theory, but I wasn't convinced that the system proposed in the book was viable... it seems like the implementation would not be as simple as the authors suggest. Three big concerns I have are the lack of a definition of the term "retail level," collective purchases of new goods at the wholesale level that might be distributed through oth ...more
Nathan Tensen
Jun 23, 2011 Nathan Tensen rated it did not like it
The FairTax is a sloppily written and offensive book for its outrageous statements (equating the ratification of the 16th Amendment with the terrorist massacre on 9/11 is beyond the realms of good taste, no matter how much you resent taxes)and for the insulting way it assumes everyone reading it can barely take time to focus on its serious arguments. Lower and flatter taxes is a fair discussion to have, but a national sales tax would be a deeply regressive system shifting more of the burden to m ...more
Jamie Belanger
Nov 25, 2012 Jamie Belanger rated it it was amazing
The FairTax Book is a quick read -- I read the whole thing in a single day, most of it in one sitting. But there is a lot of information crammed in there. I first heard about the FairTax several years ago, and every so often I spend some time perusing their website for information. So I went into this book already knowing a good amount. There were a few aspects of the plan that I did not know.

Every American should read this book, or at least read the FairTax website. We didn't always live under
Oct 08, 2010 Darrel rated it really liked it
Taxes are, unfortunately, a fact of life. After reading this book I am convinced that the FairTax is a much more reasonable way to collect federal taxes than the current system. I like the fact that the proposed system is very simple, transparent and does not play favorites with any demographic.

I encourage everyone to read this book and urge your elected representatives to make FairTax a reality.
May 21, 2008 Tom rated it did not like it
A national sales tax would probably be one of the worst things possible for a democratic (or representative republic) state. Progressive taxation is central to a function democracy; without it, some members of society will become powerful to a point that they can easily subjugate other portions of the population.
Oct 18, 2007 Smokey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: tax-paying Americans, economists, skeptics of government
This book clearly details a vastly superior system of funding the US government than that currently in place. It also explains why and how "The Fair Tax" would work, work wonders on our economy, and represent the single biggest power shift away from D.C. and into the hands of the populace since the American Revolution.
Jun 28, 2012 Alain rated it did not like it
I like the idea of a simple, fair and evenly applied tax. However, while the idea behind this tax is simple, it would result in anything BUT a fair and evenly applied tax. It would horrendously regressive and horrible for average people.
Tim Cox
Sep 12, 2007 Tim Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who votes
Every adult in America should read this book and demand that their representatives support the FairTax. The only reason not to is so politicians can continue to reward the special interest groups funding them.
Aug 31, 2007 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans who are breathing
Someone gave this book to me at a property tax protest in Indianapolis. The arguments for the proposed FairTax legislation are much that I'm now a believer. "The Fair Tax Book" is important stuff in spite of that putz, (coauthor) Neil Boortz.
Nov 17, 2007 Alex rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Americans
Visionary. If you don't think the U.S. tax overhaul recommended in this book is advantageous to you, you are either not an American or you are an American criminal, or you can't think critically on this issue--a not uncommon problem among us.
Aug 01, 2008 C. rated it did not like it
I would support the idea of a National Sales Tax alternative to the current payroll tax system. However, this book was very poorly written and filled with too much "big cats in Washington" rhetoric. I would like to check out a more balanced view of this subject.
Dec 06, 2007 Jason rated it did not like it
I picked up this book thinking it was a serious work on the VAT or some other consumption tax. It is not.
Lavon Thorpe
Sep 01, 2007 Lavon Thorpe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the best book I have read this year. Very enlightening. Our country would be in a better place if we could adopt this system.
Oct 26, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for everyone. Please don't let your political stance keep you from reading this one! It is an awesome plan that needs to be truly considered by our government.
Tiffany Saint
Mar 08, 2007 Tiffany Saint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Interested in keeping the governments dirty hands out of your money...
If you are a fan of Boortz'a radio show you already know how this book is going to read. If not, be careful, you might get your feelings hurt.

Aug 22, 2007 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: integrate
Yes. Time to get rid of the current tax code that picks winners and losers and have a fair tax for all!
Jul 06, 2007 Ashley rated it it was amazing
a political read which is not what I would typically call entertaining, but it's very important and right on!
Dave/Maggie Bean
Nov 15, 2011 Dave/Maggie Bean rated it did not like it
Shelves: politics, economics
A bad approach to a good idea.
Zach Zeidler
Nov 20, 2007 Zach Zeidler rated it liked it
this makes sense -- time to can the income tax!!
Mar 15, 2007 thew rated it it was amazing
Abolish the IRS!
Aug 17, 2007 Wendy rated it liked it
Interesting...He has a point.
  • Arrogance: Rescuing America From The Media Elite
  • Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel -- Why Everything You Know Is Wrong
  • Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse
  • Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and the Government Bailout Will Make Things Worse
  • The Housing Boom and Bust
  • Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract With America
  • In Our Hands: A Plan to Replace the Welfare State
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • End the Fed
  • Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • The Case Against the Fed
  • Men in Black: How Judges are Destroying America
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America
  • The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America

“In the next 25 years, we will see a 100 percent increase in the number of American retirees. The number of workers, however, will increase by only 15 percent. Given those numbers, how can these programs survive? Under our current tax code, these programs can be maintained only by increasing the tax on those who work, reducing benefits for those who have retired or by increasing the age of retirement.” 1 likes