Start by marking “Secret Wars II Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Secret Wars II Omnibus

Secret Wars II Omnibus (Secret Wars Omnibus II)

2.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Hero, villain, force of nature and deus ex machina all in one: the Beyonder! For good or ill, he was one of the most powerful agents of change in the 80s, and now you can see all of his work all at once!
Published May 27th 2009 by Marvel (first published December 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Wars II Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Wars II Omnibus

Astonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss WhedonCaptain America Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Ed BrubakerAlias Omnibus by Brian Michael BendisImmortal Iron Fist Omnibus by Ed BrubakerNew X-Men Omnibus by Grant Morrison
Marvel Omnibus Books
69th out of 82 books — 33 voters
House of M by Brian Michael BendisThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinAvengers Disassembled by Brian Michael BendisInfinity by Jonathan HickmanSecret Invasion by Brian Michael Bendis
Marvel Universe Events
56th out of 74 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
I love this not only for the story, which explores a lot of thought-provoking questions about existence, but also because it's essentially a cross-section of all the art and writing in the Marvel Universe at the time. There are certainly elements of the artwork that don't age well (the Beyonder's jumpsuit and jeri curls) but this was the Marvel Universe I cut my teeth on and it was a wonderful romp through memory lane! Sure, the individual issues are hit-or-miss, but this is a case where the sum ...more
Kyle
Oct 07, 2013 Kyle rated it did not like it
Shelves: worst-books, marvel
Oh wow, was this EVER bad.

I remember reading this as a kid and thinking it was really cool; but, re-reading it as an adult, I can see how horribly, horribly written it is. The plot is all over the place and every page is monotonous and boringly sloppy storytelling (I mean, Spider-Man shows someone how to go to the washroom in this!! How stupid!) There isn't even any good artwork to speak of. Ridiculously dated, to boot.

Definitely near the top of my "Worst Comics of All Time" list.

1/5
John
Aug 02, 2015 John rated it did not like it
A weird story in which The Beyonder, the most powerful being in the Marvel universe, has a mid-life crisis and ponders desire and his purpose in life--along the way getting taken advantage of by the mob, dabbling in hedonism and small appliances, forcing people to think they love him, getting taken advantage of by the mob, and killing and then recreating Death.

When I was reading Marvel comics back in the 1980s I never noticed how sloppy so much of it is. The "camera" in a scene wanders about aim
John
Aug 03, 2012 John added it
Only for the true Marvel fans, and those interested in philosophical questions of meaning and being handled in comic book fashion.
Jason Luna
Aug 26, 2013 Jason Luna rated it liked it
"Secret Wars" was off the chain, yo. A unified battle between all the good/bad guys Marvel had, with twists and etc.

"Secret Wars II" was a major downgrade, mostly because it was too long (at least with this book) and it had a rambling point of view.

The Beyonder (he has the power of an entire universe, in one person) wants to hang out on Earth. It started out cool, when he was trying to be benevolent and goofs around with the lives of heroes and stuff.

But when he inevitably becomes evil or at lea
Adam Gutschenritter
Aug 15, 2015 Adam Gutschenritter rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic
The moral and ethic development of the Beyonder was not a good story and I had an extremely hard time finding that I should care.
Earl
Feb 03, 2016 Earl rated it it was ok
To be honest, I didn't get it in the end. Is it some attempt to be philosophical and create a discourse on human limitations? A failed exploration at the psyche of the Marvel-verse? Another excuse to get Dr. Doom out?

Anyway, I'm glad that this happened in the '80s.
Michael
May 09, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok
I got this book from Amazon when they had their pricing glitch. So I paid $8 for this $100 book! The bad news is - I still probably overpaid. This book is nowhere near the quality of the original. The publisher included all the crossover issues to make the cost justifiable. 3 or 4 of those are good. That's it. Very thankful I didn't pay full price.
Quinton Baran
Oct 18, 2013 Quinton Baran rated it really liked it
A comprehensive read of Secret Wars II, with all the core Secret Wars II books, plus all the auxillary books, and also several books that finish up the line after the fact. The book is an interesting compilation of how humans act, and why they do what they do, under the magnifying glass of a supposed omnipotent, omniscient being.
JR
Jul 11, 2015 JR rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Nothing like the first Secret Wars. The Beyonder is on a philosophical journey to discover the meaning of life.
Rick Lee James
Sep 30, 2012 Rick Lee James rated it did not like it
Terrible. Probably the worst comic mini-series ever made. Really, just crap. Should be called Secret Bore. I wish it was still a secret. I paid $2.25 for all 9 original issues and that was a rip off. The most exciting moment was when Spider-Man taught the Beyonder how to pee.
Mike McDevitt
Jul 31, 2012 Mike McDevitt rated it it was ok
This is one strange trip. When the universe is saved with an abortion and the highlight of the tale is Spider-Man toilet training a full-grown man shaped like Steve Rogers, you've got some head scratching to do.
Ryan
Sep 19, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: justok
It was almost punishment to read this. And I love old comics. Still, the pull is the some of the great art in several of the issues. The story, however, is very stupid.
Wayne Simmons
Mar 12, 2012 Wayne Simmons rated it it was amazing
There were some really great stories within Secret Wars II. The Human Torch one was one of the most touching comic stories ever written.
Stephen
Jul 20, 2012 Stephen rated it it was ok
Blow me, Beyonder. Take your white leisure suit and just go. Most boring galactic powered character ever.
David Salchow
Aug 23, 2012 David Salchow rated it it was ok
Skip it. The story meandered like crazy and changed direction multiple times
Harrison Rip
Sep 30, 2014 Harrison Rip rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on Asperger's I've ever read
John Utech
Jul 10, 2012 John Utech rated it it was ok
"Good help is so hard to corrupt."
Whitney
Whitney is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Karol Tombinski
Karol Tombinski marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Luke Bell
Luke Bell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Jay Ant
Jay Ant marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Aran Chandran
Aran Chandran rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2015
Gavin
Gavin rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Alexander
Alexander rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Shane Brasher
Shane Brasher rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Sean Gorman
Sean Gorman marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Secret Wars (4 books)
  • Secret Wars
  • Secret Wars II
  • Marvel Super Heroes : Secret Wars Part 1
  • Marvel Superheroes: Secret Wars Part 2 (Ultimate Marvel Graphic Novel Collection #7)