Start by marking “The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Read Michael Sims's posts on the Penguin Blog

An exclusive collection-the first- ever gathering of rogues from the gaslight era

collected here for the first time: the best crime fiction from the gaslight era. All the legendary thieves are present-Arsène Lupin and A. J. Raffles, Colonel Clay and Simon Carne, Romney Pringle, Get Rich Quick Wallingford, and the Infallible Goda
Published March 31st 2009 by Penguin Classics (first published February 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime

Jacob
Forget Sherlock Holmes, if you can--Victorian literature produced some great criminals as well! A. J. Raffles, Get-Rich-Quick Wallingford, Simon Carne, Captain Gault, and many other scoundrels and ruffians tried their luck on the other side of the law, and many managed to make a very dishonest living out of it. American millionaires, watch out! English lords, lock up your paintings! Ladies everywhere, keep an eye on those diamonds!

I recently read all the Sherlock Holmes stories, and I was hungr
Cleo
Oh, how I loved this volume of short mystery stories. Each of them were witty and funny. All of the stories but one aren't detective stories; they're from the point of view of the criminal; which was interesting. As the title suggests, there are all manner of criminals: gentlemen thieves, rogues, con men, burglars etc. No murderers though, and the thieves get away with their crimes. The stories are all pretty suspenseful; not super suspenseful as they're written in an older style, but intriguing ...more
rabbitprincess
Feb 06, 2013 rabbitprincess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Victorian/Holmesian crime fiction
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: We Be Reading
* * * 1/2

Overall an enjoyable collection to while away a few days with on the bus. Michael Sims has assembled an interesting group of con men, thieves and rogues who would have been contemporaries of Sherlock Holmes. Each story is by a different author and comes with an introduction by Sims explaining why he included the story and putting it in context with the author's other works. I really appreciated these introductions, as well as the notes for further reading.

Of the stories themselves, my f
Steve
Sims has done an amazing job assembling these stories of criminal capers from the gaslight era (love the cover, with the gloved gent's hand in the act of swiping the Penguin logo). The introductions are informative, inspiring and invaluable.

Fascinating to see this vein of fiction that arose in response to the glittering wealth of the Gilded Age (many of the rich people in these stories are Americans). But Victorian charm isn't quite enough to sustain the collection. And it may have been a bit m
Michelle
Collection of short stories on the adventures of con artist, burglars, rogues and scoundrels from Victorian era. Some are good, some are just ok. I dont have a particular favorite title.
Daniel Kilkelly
This collection of short stories highlights a number of well written episodes of unique anti-heroes created in the late 1800s and early 1900s. This book allows readers to explore the creative response to heroes such as Sherlock Holmes as created by Doyle and enabling readers to identify with multiple authors in minute doses, whereby one can decide which characters and authors ought to be further pursued through additional reading.
Emily
Great little book of turn of the century crime fiction. Not only are there light (but not cozy!) crime fics, but there's some humor and twists as well. What really stood out for me in this anthology were the author introductions -- all too often in anthologies they just get to the short stories and you're on your own. Each story here had a little author bio with sidenotes, connections, and information about their other works.
Jon Touchstone
I am still in the middle of this one. It involves gaslight era detective stories, i.e. ones that take both take place in and evoke the atmosphere of the time of Sherlock Holmes, but from the point of view of the criminals instead of the detectives. It's not bad, but I prefer to root for the detectives. I am not sure if I will finish this one, as I started a new Lord Peter Wimsey that I like much better.
Bev Hankins
Pretty good. Although the intro says something about these being little known & mostly uncollected and I've read several of these short stories before. Also...I must be too law-abiding; I much prefer being on the side of Sherlock Holmes to Raffles. Three and a half stars.
Americanogig
Great little book on crime fiction from the turn of last century through the 20s. No murders and most of the criminals are anti-heroic, Robin Hood types. Very amusing and lots of twist-turns to keep you interested. The atmosphere in each story was exceptional!
Maren
This is a fantastic anthology of short crime fiction from the era of Sherlock Holmes. What makes the stories unique is that they are from the perspective of the criminals. A nice introduction to other authors of the era who may be less well known than Conan Doyle.
Emily
Jun 17, 2010 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
It is always interesting to contrast similar styles of stories from the same period of time and these are an amusing little set of Victorian crime stories.

I find however, that I prefer to be on the detective side of the story than the criminal.
Elizabeth
The first story is a gem, but it's downhill from there. It is refreshing, however, to immerse oneself in diction that's intelligent and vocabulary that's just a little more precise than our contemporary language.
John
Read it for the introduction by Michael Sims, provided several atmospheric pieces that conjured up turn-of-the-century London and the thieves and detectives that entertained audiences after Doyle killed Sherlock.
Naticia
Maybe I am biased towards the detective stories I usually read, but I was not impressed with this collection. Some stories were better than others, but none inspired me to read more by the author.
Andy Fanton
I'm currently working my way through this really fun collection of Victorian/Edwardian crime stories, replete with rogues, scoundrels and even one or two rascals. Huzzah!
Theresa
I enjoyed the same editor's Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime, but I can't say I was a huge fan of these stories; the rogues are not nearly roguish enough.
Mary
Good stories - if one has read a great deal of this sort of thing, the endings will not be particularly surprising.
Casey
A nice collection of very short stories from a by-gone era. Great for a quick read that won't excite you too much.
Catherine Siemann
The subtitled describes it best. Victorian and Edwardian and diverting, though necessarily fluffy.
Sam Shipley
A very fun read and some classic tales. Great for the morning bus rides.
Portia
just what I needed! lots of different, fun crime stories
Phil Bova
Phil Bova marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Kasula Reddy
Kasula Reddy is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2015
Kátia Santos
Kátia Santos marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin, #1)
  • The Elements of Murder: A History of Poison
  • Miss Cayley's Adventures
  • Devoured
  • The Old Man in the Corner
  • Tales of the Marvellous and News of the Strange
  • Guadalajara
  • The Shadow of Reichenbach Falls
  • Fantômas (Fantômas, #1)
  • Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One
  • The Maul And The Pear Tree
  • Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
Michael Sims is the author of the acclaimed "The Story of Charlotte's Web, Apollo's Fire: A Day on Earth in Nature and Imagination," "Adam's Navel: A Natural and Cultural History of the Human Form," and editor of "Dracula's Guest: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Vampire Stories" and "The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories." He lives in western Pennsylva ...more
More about Michael Sims...
Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories The Story of Charlotte's Web: E.B. White's Eccentric Life in Nature and the Birth of an American Classic Adam's Navel: A Natural and Cultural History of the Human Form The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes