The Rose: A Novel Based on Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon a Dream)

The Rose: A Novel Based on Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon a Dream)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews
finds Bonnie Oliviera in the cliff mansion of Peter Crowley, an enchanted beast-boy who must gain another's love before his magic rose dies.
Published January 1st 1996 by Point

To ask other readers questions about The Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnLover Awakened by J.R. WardWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
Beauty and the Beast
228th out of 400 books — 869 voters
Beauty by Robin McKinleyEast by Edith PattouErased by Nick GiffordA Temptation of Angels by Michelle ZinkGlyphics by J. Richard Singleton
YA Paranormal Stand-alones
9th out of 34 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess
This retelling was dull and unimaginative, even for a teen novel. If I had read it a few years ago when I was that age, I still would have found it boring.
The first half is a verbatim copy of the Disney film’s plot, complete with the inventor father, enchantress, wolves and a modernized “Gaston” villain, Gary the high school jock. The relationship between Beauty (Bonnie) and Beast (Peter) is the repeat of the same scenario. Bonnie is unimpressed by Peter’s wealth, virtually reality world and at...more
Brittany
I really enjoyed this retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It stuck close to the storyline, but did have a few changes which I liked. I didn't want to put this book I kept reading it between breaks at work and right when I got home I finished it. A man named Peter has been cursed ever since he was just a boy. An old woman begged to come inside his house to eat a little and rest. He refused because he was having a party and believed his party to be more important than her. So she cursed him to be a...more
Alyssa
This in my book was basically a modern day retelling of Disney's beauty and the beast (A normal bookloving girl, an inventor father, a beast, a gaston like wannabe suitor, and an unbeleiving town.) However in this retelling there were some added variations of the classic tale as well. The characters were all fine -nothing spectacular, the plot was predictable and a little boring, the setting was really nice being by the sea. Overall, though it was a really really fast read, I found it a bit bori...more
Stephen Nardi III
This is one of the greatest retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It is a really good and enjoyable book. It's too bad its out of print.
Stephanie Kerr
I've loved Beauty and the Beast ever since I was little and I watched the Disney version. Belle was always my favorite Disney princess. The Rose is just a more modern take on the classic story of Beauty and the Beast.
Kerry
This is a modern take on the story so she adapts it well to how the beast would be and where the protagonist is kept. Very interesting, not as good as Beauty by Robin McKinley but still pretty good.
Dominique
If you have ever seen the Disney animated film, Beauty and the Beast, you do not need to read this book, ever, because it is the same story minus the music.
Jessica
Definitely a teen book, but it was cute. I wish I would have read it 10 years ago...
Adele
read it in 8th grade...have been searching for it in bookstores ever since!
Vivian Tran
I always loved Beauty and the Beast, and I still do. What a great novel.
The Fairy Godmother
Based on Beauty and the Beast.
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Nadia Samman
Nadia Samman marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Katie Welch
Katie Welch marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 22, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
 ❀ Minesha ❀
❀ Minesha ❀ marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
K8
K8 added it
May 14, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Calm Before the Storm (Dawson's Creek #2) The Beginning of Everything Else (Dawson's Creek, #0.5) At Midnight: A Novel Based on Cinderella In Sickness and in Health To Have and to Hold (First Comes Love, #1)