Start by marking “The Rose: Once Upon a Dream; Based on Beauty and the Beast: Based on Beauty and the Beast” as Want to Read:

The Rose: Once Upon a Dream; Based on Beauty and the Beast: Based on Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon a Dream)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In this new contemporary fairytale, Bonnie, a sweet teenage bookworm falls captive to a hideous beast-like boy who has been cursed to live his life alone unless he can love again.
Published January 1st 1996 by Scholastic

Jess
Aug 09, 2012 Jess rated it did not like it
This retelling was dull and unimaginative, even for a teen novel. If I had read it a few years ago when I was that age, I still would have found it boring.
The first half is a verbatim copy of the Disney film’s plot, complete with the inventor father, enchantress, wolves and a modernized “Gaston” villain, Gary the high school jock. The relationship between Beauty (Bonnie) and Beast (Peter) is the repeat of the same scenario. Bonnie is unimpressed by Peter’s wealth, virtually reality world and at
Brittany
Jul 12, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It stuck close to the storyline, but did have a few changes which I liked. I didn't want to put this book I kept reading it between breaks at work and right when I got home I finished it. A man named Peter has been cursed ever since he was just a boy. An old woman begged to come inside his house to eat a little and rest. He refused because he was having a party and believed his party to be more important than her. So she cursed him to be a ...more
Alyssa
Jan 28, 2011 Alyssa rated it liked it
This in my book was basically a modern day retelling of Disney's beauty and the beast (A normal bookloving girl, an inventor father, a beast, a gaston like wannabe suitor, and an unbeleiving town.) However in this retelling there were some added variations of the classic tale as well. The characters were all fine -nothing spectacular, the plot was predictable and a little boring, the setting was really nice being by the sea. Overall, though it was a really really fast read, I found it a bit bori ...more
Holly Badour
Jan 16, 2015 Holly Badour rated it did not like it
I'm finally reading a ton of books off my bookshelf. This book is like reading the Disney beauty and the beast with a few minor changes because of this the book was boring and unimaginative.
Mary
I read this as a teenager, it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it. Still I do love retold fairy-tales and Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorites.
Stephen
Apr 10, 2008 Stephen rated it it was amazing
This is one of the greatest retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It is a really good and enjoyable book. It's too bad its out of print.
Stephanie Kerr
Aug 14, 2009 Stephanie Kerr rated it it was amazing
I've loved Beauty and the Beast ever since I was little and I watched the Disney version. Belle was always my favorite Disney princess. The Rose is just a more modern take on the classic story of Beauty and the Beast.
Kerry
Aug 25, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it
This is a modern take on the story so she adapts it well to how the beast would be and where the protagonist is kept. Very interesting, not as good as Beauty by Robin McKinley but still pretty good.
Dominique
Oct 20, 2010 Dominique rated it did not like it
If you have ever seen the Disney animated film, Beauty and the Beast, you do not need to read this book, ever, because it is the same story minus the music.
Jessica
Sep 08, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
Definitely a teen book, but it was cute. I wish I would have read it 10 years ago...
Adele
Jun 24, 2013 Adele rated it really liked it
read it in 8th grade...have been searching for it in bookstores ever since!
Vivian Tran
Apr 29, 2010 Vivian Tran rated it it was amazing
I always loved Beauty and the Beast, and I still do. What a great novel.
The Fairy Godmother
Based on Beauty and the Beast.
Rennegade Hunter
Rennegade Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Jillian Gubler
Jillian Gubler marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Cathryn
Cathryn marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Rebekah Stein
Rebekah Stein marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Rine Karr
Rine Karr rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Cassie Dowell
Cassie Dowell marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Amber Blue
Amber Blue rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Amanda Goodner
Amanda Goodner marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Giselle Bradley
Giselle Bradley marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Sydny
Sydny marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
  • Crazy Jack
  • Red's Tale / Lobo's Tale (The Faery Taile Project, #1)
  • Lasso Her Heart
  • Drummer Boy at Bull Run (Bonnets and Bugles, #1)
  • My So Called Love Life
  • The Sisterhood of the Dropped Stitches (Dropped Stitches #1)
  • First Bite: The Wicked Queen's Tale
  • Fitcher's Brides
  • Red Rider's Hood (Dark Fusion, #2)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3
  • Waking Rose (A Fairy Tale Retold #3)
  • Swan Sister: Fairy Tales Retold
  • Once Upon a Dreadful Time (Faery, #5)
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • Pay the Piper
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)

Once Upon a Dream (2 books)
  • At Midnight: A Novel Based on Cinderella