Start by marking “Edge of Battle (Jason Richter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Edge of Battle (Jason Richter, #2)

Edge of Battle (Jason Richter #2)

Jason Richter and his high-tech unit Task Force TALON are charged with securing the Mexican border, where a terrorist band has been operating with impunity and enflaming the passions of the population.
Published April 24th 2007 by Harper (first published April 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Battle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of Battle

Peter Cress
Jul 31, 2012 Peter Cress rated it did not like it
Ugh. I've heard Dale Brown is a good writer, but this book sure doesn't show that. The shallow characters are inconsistent and implausible, the storyline is unrealistic and confusing, and several episodes are clearly inserted as an afterthought.

At one point in the story the thinly veiled caricature of Rush Limbaugh gets into a panic when the Mexican hero incites all the illegal aliens living in the U.S. to punish America by going back to Mexico. In his panic he accidentally fires his pistol in a
Cynfully Sweet
at first- I thought I wasn't going to like this... but after I'd say the first 2 chapters or so... WOW!! This book definitely comes from a pro-military stand point... and maybe even a conservative stand point (however, I do love how assinine the talk radio personality was lol and wasn't too upset when the sh** hit his fan) but I do feel this book tried to show a fair representation of both sides... anyways, strictly speaking of the book and it's plot, and not going into the correlations between ...more
Marilyn
May 16, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book. Dale Brown in a former Air Force Captain, and this was his 18th book. For me, this book explored the illegal immigration issues of the Mexican/American border. I have been very anti-illegal alien. This book explored some issues from the Mexican side that I had never thought of. It also explored issues from the American side that I hadn't thought about...and...a solution I wonder why we are not embracing. It is a novel...but very real. A page turner.
farmwifetwo
Nov 29, 2015 farmwifetwo added it
Shelves: dh-s
Dh says they are getting weirder. Whatever that means.
Carl Alves
Jul 29, 2013 Carl Alves rated it it was ok
The Edge of Battle focus on the border war along the Mexican border. Commander Veracruz, a drug dealer and smuggler, is calling upon Mexican nationalism to take back the southeastern part of the United States back to Mexico. As part of this, Veracruz's forces slaughter a group of US border guards. To combat this Operation Rampart has been created led by Major Richter and his high tech special forces task force.

This novel lacks any kind of believability and credibility. It's almost silly in parts
Tom Tischler
Jan 20, 2015 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it
Violence and tension are sky high sparked by battles between drug
lords and the increased flow of illegal migrants into the U.S. To
combat this Operation Ramport a controversial test unit run by
Major Richter called Talon is called into action. Their success is
threatened by a drug king pin named Ernesto Fuerza also known as
Commander Veracruz, he is causing major problems on both sides of
the border calling for revolution. His real intent is to make it
easier to send drugs over the border. Richter an
Jadrian Wooten
Jul 10, 2015 Jadrian Wooten rated it it was ok
Well, the author uses Russian and Mexican characters and occasionally doesn't translate the sentences that the characters are saying. I know a little Spanish, but even I was left a little confused by some of the dialogue. It's a very heavy military book (which I would have known if I knew he Dale Brown was before I bought the book). I bought this at an airport because it talked about a border way and Mexico trying to take back the area it lost in the Mexican-American war, but that's not even ...more
Richard
Aug 23, 2009 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
As a story, it was ok. The audio tapes were so poorly done that I had trouble following the action. Only one actor was used to record or read the book. The worst of it was that this actor didn't speak Spanish or Russian in English with an accent at all well. This guy was tasked with reading all parts of the book (both male and female) with accents and he was awful. The book should have been read like an old radio show with a number of different actors. This audio tape(s) were not worth listening ...more
Jake
May 06, 2011 Jake rated it liked it
Audio Book. Jason Richter is the engineer who designed man suit robots. They are used to help with the immigration problems on the US Mexican border, but cause problems because they scare people. It is a political nightmare until they finally find out that the antagonist Major Commandante Veracruz is also a high ranking Mexican official and he is helping Jason's old nemesis Russian Yegor Zakarov to smuggle terrorists into the US. The robots are task force TALON. In the end the robots save the ...more
Kevin Bresnahan
Aug 21, 2011 Kevin Bresnahan rated it it was ok
My first Dale Brown book, and it was OK. It deals with the reality situation of illegal immigration and the potential for terrorism. A russian terrorist seeks revenge, a hungry Mexican military for legitmacy, and the US government intent on containing illegal immigration. Brown does a nice job in providing different perspectives. The hero is Jason Richter, an army major part of TALON. TALON seems to be the last line of defense. He and his team weren't really heroic, smart, or overly interesting. ...more
Cactuskid
Dec 13, 2014 Cactuskid rated it it was ok
I thought this was going to be a good read about the problem of illegals from Mexico and the way the US and Mexico deal with this. However it got into a lot of different incidents and was hard to follow. I just didn't like the way he wrote this, I think he tried to make it more mysterious by not telling you who he was even talking about and what was going on until several pages later - if then. One thing I like is he lists the characters and acronyms in the front of the book. Wish more authors ...more
Ryan
May 10, 2010 Ryan rated it it was ok
Very mediocre writing with far too much technical info -- I felt like I was reading the inner musings of an overzealous military techno geek...so it made sense when I discovered that the author is a retired Air Force pilot.

This book does do a good job of illuminating the immigration debate, which recently got a lift from the AZ law that allows police to stop anyone for reasonable cause. Also neat to read how the commandos talk to one another during an engagement.
Steven Turek
Jul 30, 2007 Steven Turek rated it it was ok
In the first installment of this series, the Spanish was terrible. Unfortunately it gets even worse in this novel. I wish the author would have done a little bit more research to make this story an experience rather than just words on paper. The story is decent, but when you have to pause and try to figure out what the Latin characters are saying, it really detracts from the overall experience.
Mary
Jun 30, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok
In the old days, Tom Clancy was able to combine an interesting story with a great deal of technical information. Maybe because I was younger, I was able to skim over the technical stuff and get back to the people with ease. Here the people were more like technical "stuff" and the real technical things were part real and part fantasy... at least for a few years. It was an okay book, but I will try to find books by other authors before I succumb and check out another Dale Brown.
Jim
Jun 06, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just finished listening to the Unabridged Audio book Edge of Battle by Dale Brown. Generally, I like Dale Brown's works, but, this book was simply too long with tooooooo little action. Many many long long long dialogs (a radio DJ making speeches) that hammer the same point over and over.

Very little action, lots of talking. This would have been much better if it had been abridged from the current 12 CDs down to about 4 CDs. Obviously, not one of my favorite books.
Brendan Powell
Aug 24, 2014 Brendan Powell rated it it was ok
Ug...this was an audio book...and it's the first book I've listened to where I thought, "Abridged might be a good idea..."

Maybe this book reads better...but the audio book was long, and drawn out...lacking in action, heavy on politics trying to explain the plot (trying...)

I doubt I'll be looking for any more books in this series.

It kept me company while mowing and doing mu chores...but it wasn't enjoyable.
Yougo
Nov 29, 2011 Yougo rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
A decent Clancy-esk book, it's interesting to read fiction encapsulating current political hot issues and see someone's take on what could happen in the right circumstances. Apparently this book is a sequel to a previous book and so there are numerous references that the reader will be in the dark about unless they've read the previous books (much more so than I can say about other authors I've read.

All in all, I'd say I didn't think it was a fantastic, but it wasn't bad.
Roark
Feb 24, 2013 Roark rated it it was ok
I got this book as a gift so I am not familiar with the series. It felt more like I was reading part of a story rather than a book. The writer had a lot of interesting material to work with (terrorists, political intrigue, robotic fighting units) but I never felt it came together enough to be engaging. I was never compelled to "read one more chapter". I finally finished reading the book but took me nearly two months to do it.
Ali Sepulveda
May 23, 2011 Ali Sepulveda rated it it was amazing
Dennis
Nov 26, 2014 Dennis rated it liked it
This book had it's moments but overall I had a hard time staying engaged. I've read all of Dale Brown's books up to this point (this book 2006) so I may need to slow down. He is a prolific writer and it's hard not to repeat some of the same or similar plot lines. Anyway, if you like this author the book is worth reading. Otherwise I think his best book is "Flight of the Old Dog".
Mark Muckerman
Oct 28, 2015 Mark Muckerman rated it liked it
Decent.

Entertaining read with a premise that is interesting, plausible and frightening in it's potential simplicity.

Overall a decent story, but with the inevitably "too-quick wrap up" that so many stories in this genre suffer from.

Action. Adventure. Limited depth. Etc.
If that's your genre, then this fits right in.
Sheila
Mar 06, 2013 Sheila rated it it was ok
Shelves: dale-brown
Picked up at the Library. This book was not for me. Firstly the witter is former U.S. Air Force Captain. Secondly too much of high tech weaponry. The U.S and Mexico border is an on going problem for U.S which is not resolved to this day. It is well written but too many pages and feels a drag to finish.
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: military, action
#2 in the Act of War series.

Act of War series - USA Major Jason Richter, in a sequel to Act of War (2005), takes his CID battle robots to the Mexican border in tale concerning Mexicans smuggling Russian terrorists and weapons into the US. The confusing issue of illegal immigrants is addressed, but ultimately, the novel is too far fetched for credibility.
Ginny Handy
Mar 31, 2010 Ginny Handy rated it did not like it
As with most books, I listened to it on CD. I really didn't like the reader for this one so I had a hard time seperating the story from the reader. I think I would have enjoyed the book a lot more with a different reader.
Sam
Oct 26, 2014 Sam rated it liked it
I enjoyed overall, I like how dale brown gets granular with the details...but on occasion it does become overbearing. That said fast paced, exciting, interesting how he ties in terrorism w/immigration problem along our borders.
Nate
Feb 24, 2010 Nate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Not nearly as good as the first book of his I read, Warrior Class. I still enjoyed reading it, but mostly because I like action-adventures books and this fits the category; however, not one of the better ones.
Nicola
Jun 08, 2011 Nicola added it
Didn't enjoy this much. Were far,far too many long speeches that repeated themselves several times. The first speech was almost 15 minutes long. The action took too long to build up and when it did, it finished too quickly. Not one of his better reads/listens.
John
Apr 28, 2009 John rated it really liked it
compelling story with many of the issues that are never talked about brought to light in the subtleties of controlling the border. Also some future forward scary possibilities of big brother brought to light in ways that are all too possible these days.
Ravi
Jun 12, 2013 Ravi rated it it was ok
I understand we are reading fiction but somethings in this book are impossible to comprehend...This is more like a 'fantasy' novel rather than a 'mystery/thriller'.....
Would not recommend a read unless you are a fan of Mr Brown.
Christopher
Oct 10, 2013 Christopher rated it it was ok
Glad I have been a Dale Brown fan for many years, because if this was the first one I read it might be the last. The book is full of never ending tirades and speeches that go on and on. Still had the action we love from Dale Brown
  • Combat
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Jason Richter (2 books)
  • Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)