Blank-133x176
Mortal Fear

Robin Cook

Mortal Fear

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  2,831 ratings  ·  42 reviews
"A chilling odyssey into the origins of life-and death." (USA Weekend)
Published by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 1988)

Jeff
This book is a good read. I wouldn't call it one of Robin Cooks best books though. The character development is sketchy at times and the plot is extremely predictable towards the end. Some sections of the book seem like they were written out of place just to fit the story together. All that aside... I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys medical thrillers (or Robin Cook). This book is just not as good as say.... Mutation.
Emma
I really loved this book and Robin cook's writing. I finished this book so long ago but never forgot the twists and turns int he story and the suspense. Goodread.
Adam Wilson
Mortal Fear is my fifth read by Cook (as of August 2011) and it is tied for my favorite with the other being Sphinx. Sadly though, I just can't convince

myself to give it more than three stars. It is a good novel, superbly well-written with a very likeable main protagonist who is usually running away from people bigger

than himself, and full of medical science information, but it just didn't quite manage to impress me until the very end. This is one of those books that has a lot going

on and al...more
Vicki G
I've read several books by this author now, and I'm still fascinated w/ his work. I really love that he never mangles medical information.
I have a pet peeve about it b/c, believe it or not, most laypersons will accept what they read w/out question. And if you tell them something contrary to what they've read, they won't even believe you. Especially if you're not a doctor-which I'm not.
We treated a patient who thought there was no way to overdose on Effexor XR (a medication used to treat major de...more
Darlene
As with all of Robin Cook books I have read-this was not a disappointment. I enjoy his books and continue to read them whenever I can. In this one, right from the beginning it pulled you in and kept you wanting to read more to find out who was behind this mysterious illness and why. When middle aged people all of a sudden started to become ill and dying within a few weeks of just receiving a physical that gave them basically a good bill of health. They all complained of the same symptoms and as...more
Jason
Contrary to Forrest Gump's popular euphemism about life... when you read a Robin Cook novel you know what you're going to get. First, you're going to get a book concerned with a medical ethics issue. Secondly, you're going to get a quick read with somewhat shallow character development. Lastly, the book is going to be mostly modest lacking any gore, invigorating sex scenes, or harsh language. With these things being said Mortal Fear doesn't stray from the mold. The ethics issue here is concerned...more
Sarah Sammis
Even after reading a half dozen books by Robin Cook, I'm still not sure how I feel about him as an author. Some of his books I adore (Sphinx, for instance) and some of them I want to throw across the room (Chromosome 6). Mortal Fear was one of those enjoyable Cook thrillers that where the characters were more or less competent and believable and the mystery plausible enough to be interesting and entertaining.

Mortal Fear's mystery unfolds in a manner reminiscent of Coma (without the overt sexism,...more
Aneesha
Definitely not as great as Robin Cook's Vector, i would say Mortal Fear is not a bad read. Though it is entertaining i do not find it to be a compulsive page turner. By the end of the book, it does chill you to the bone regarding the future and ethical connotations that research in molecular biology and genetics may entail. I would recommend it to readers interested in medical thrillers and who do not get easily bored seeing too much medical jargon in one page.
Bjoy Davidson
Wow, reading a book this "outdated" takes you back to a time where we stopped to check phone books at gas stations, had our phone lines cut, had beepers, used pay phones. I remember that Robin Cook seemed sorta cutting edge with the medical thriller genre but now I can't see why that would be. Best thing going for it is antivivisectionism.
Jenny Baker
This was my first Robin Cook book and I was instantly hooked. The suspense, characters and storytelling just reel you right in. I just couldn't put it down! It's been a while since I've been that absorbed into a book and I absolutely can't wait to read another one!
Bill Klanderman
Author Cook is getting very predictable. OK read but pretty blasé.
Tara
Great story, and, once again, a brilliant idea. A bit of a disappointing ending. Robin Cook seems to leave out a lot of the details of the story in favor of narrating the moral. The epilogue was more about the fear of medical research getting out of control than the actual story. I think the morals of his stories could be woven in a little more subtely. He needs to give his readers credit for being about to pick out the moral on their own. Otherwise, a great read. Just enough action and not so m...more
Michelle
Aug 23, 2007 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like medical thrillers
Shelves: alreadyread
This was the first Robin Cook book that I read, and i was in 8th grade at the time... My 14 year old brain really enjoyed this medical thriller. At the time, I was heavy into reading John Saul (horror) and my nerdy science oriented brain really appreciated the medical thriller genre. It has been a looong time and I have vague remembrances of this book-I know I enjoyed it and I know that I enjoy Robin Cook as a rule. Maybe I'm old enough now to start re-reading books I read 15-plus years ago ;)
Summer
While the book addresses a very concerning ethics issue, it takes us 300 pages to get there and then the climax is maybe 3 or 4 pages long before ending with an epilogue. I'm not saying it wasn't a fun 300 or so pages because Cook is great at building suspense and to my knowledge, the information he presents is accurate. The characters are unfortunately bland and flat, but they do their job as far as hurrying the suspense to bring out the issues at hand.
Deepika
a doctor named Jason is the centre of the story trying to figure out the recent surge on the number of deaths of cardiac patients in the hospital he is working in. There is a death of his fellow companion, Alvin Hayes during their meeting when he was going to tell him about his ironic breakthrough. His collegue died the same way as did his patients. So there is the link.
amazingly written and goes on very greatly. enjoyed it a loyalty till the end....
Amanda Brenner
Overall I liked it very much. It was an easy and pleasant read with a lot of scene setting. I was mildly annoyed with the central character's dismissive attitude toward a female character who turned out not to be what he thought she was. But the story moves along and the suspense continues until the very end when we are made aware of a company executive's interesting solution to the health care crisis.
Suby
This is another book by Robin Cook where medical care organizations try to play God and eliminate from their rolls those patients who cost too much to maintain thus affecting profitability. The agent used here is the death triggering hormone in salmon fish that causes them to die immediately after spawning.
The build up is well done and while predictable the end is quite thrilling.
Anna
Up until the climax of the story, I felt like Cook dragged out the plot far too long. All of Jason's search was boring - nothing particularly interesting or exciting happened up until the climax. Thus, the rising action and exposition were really dull. The climax itself was interesting. I just wish Cook could have made the WHOLE book interesting rather than just the end.
BoekenTrol
In the time that I bought / received these books, I liked them a lot. For me they were new grounds to explore.
And this one wasn't too far in the series to get bored, although there are signs that the pattern / path along which the story goes, is quite similar every time.

Pageturner because of the action :-)
Eleanor Jethro
What a great book - as usual Robin Cook writes books that keep you on the edge - they really make you stop and think about things that go on in hosptials and with doctors. I'm glad that this book is a work of fiction and just hope that I don't hear of this happening in real life
Doug
This is a fast read and, while Cook's characters still can't interact like normal people, the story is good enough to keep me reading into the wee hours. The tale kept me wrapped up until the end when I found myself scratching myself and mumbling "Really, Robin Cook? Really?"
L.L.
Hmmm... no... jeśli to są thrillery medyczne, to się pomyliłem... jednak ich nie lubię ;) Nic nadzwyczajnego. taki kryminał z podłożem medycznym, to jednak niebardzo o to mi chodziło... więc jednak horrory wolę, tak, zdecydowanie.
Sue T
A so-so medical thriller. Having worked for many years in the field, I know the technology was extremely exaggerated, but that's what makes for thrilling fiction.
Elliedakota
Having majored in, and taught, Biology I found the plot to be very transparent and predictable. It was a quick read and did not have much substance.
Jacqui R
Slow at the beginning but picked up in the last third of the book. I was surprised by the ending and enjoyed this story more than I thought I would.
Tammy
I liked the characters in this. One thing I like best about Robin Cook books is that I learn about medicine or the medical system.
Ricardo
A re-read. Bubblegum reading. Fast, simple, and the ending developed in a rush in the last 10 pages or so
pavao
Started out great, ended a little too quickly and cleanly, almost like a few chapters were missing.
Swapneel
Good flow of story. Never thought of keeping the book down.
  • Fatal
  • Strong Medicine
  • Cold Plague
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • The Successor (Christian Gillette, #4)
  • Implant
  • Flawless
  • The Mystery of the Trail of Terror (The Three Investigators, #39)
  • In the Hour Before Midnight
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion