Start by marking “Doctor Who: Brave New Town” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Brave New Town

Doctor Who: Brave New Town (New Eighth Doctor Adventures #2.3)

It's like The Village That Time Forgot!

The inhabitants of the quiet seaside town of Thorington in Suffolk are living the same day over and over again.

What's so special about the 1st of September 1991? Why haven't the villagers noticed that the same song has been number one for years? And just where on Earth has the sea disappeared to?

The Doctor and Lucie must solve the mys
Published March 2008

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Kevin
Oct 28, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Returning old enemies and isolated towns are two of the things Doctor Who is known for. This one begins with the Doctor and Lucie landing in the wrong place again. The Doctor is certain it's 2008, but everything around them seems to be from 1991. Soon it appears that every day is the same day and that the town is trapped in a horrible recurring day in 1991, truly the height of horror.

This isn't a big episode, but it provides a new take on an old enemy. The ending even questions the motives of on
Jamie Revell
Aug 01, 2015 Jamie Revell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-plays
I seem to be in something of a minority in really liking this one. It's set in a British seaside town that's not only in the middle of a desert but is stuck perpetually on the same date in 1991 - which means, tragically, that Bryan Adams has been at Number One for seventeen years.

The story, of course, is about trying to solve the mystery of this, as well as that of a missing teenage girl. Once the answers come, they make a surprising amount of sense, and the story switches to trying to stop the
Gayle
Feb 18, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, doctor-who
Originally listened to this when it was broadcast on Radio 7 but I was doing something else at the time so it was really "background noise". Glad I got a chance to listen to it again.

A village is seemingly stuck in time, reliving the same day - 1st Sept 1991 - over and over again, until the Doctor and Lucie arrive, determined to find out exactly what's going on.

As someone who was ten years old on the 1st Sept 1991, I can well remember the Bryan Adams "classic" being constantly number one seeming
Amanda
Dec 03, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
I listened to the first season and half of The Eight Doctor & Lucie Miller incredibly close together and back to back, so all of them are going to end up with the same review for the moment while I'm fixing up my forgotten rec's and clearing out my Currently Reading Folder (which shouldn't be 40+ books, it should be somewhere relatively close to right under ten).

I have loved meeting Eight, and his resigned but inspirational way of being. I love Lucy's moxy, and her mouth. Her mouth may be t
Aidan
Mar 30, 2012 Aidan rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable installment in the second series of new Eighth Doctor adventures from Big Finish, Brave New Town finds the Doctor and Lucie arriving in a town which seems to be reliving the same day over and over again and where a girl has disappeared.

The explanations when they come make sense and while I don't think this story breaks much new ground it is entertaining and feels tightly written, making the most of its forty five minute running time. Clements' script is quite funny in parts and
Jon Arnold
Jul 17, 2015 Jon Arnold rated it liked it
I was instantly disposed to like this, with Jonathan Clements drawing on the terrible memories of the seemingly neverending Summer of Adams and asking ‘what if that summer had actually never ended?’ Doctor Who stories have been built on far flimsier foundations than that. And out of that he spins a slightly contrived story of a typically English town where nothing ever changes. There’s a fascinating riff on an old element of Doctor Who here but once the central mystery’s solved the story doesn’t ...more
Pete Guion
Apr 08, 2009 Pete Guion rated it it was ok
This was an audio play rather than an audio book. The different format I didn't expect but definitely enjoyed as a change of pace. I will definitely look for more books like this. The voice acting was done well, and I definitely got a sense of the character of the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann), which was nice considering it was a relatively short story (about an hour's length?).

That said, the story itself I found to be only okay. I think that it being so short didn't allow for a more interesting sto
Mel
May 31, 2013 Mel rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
I liked this much better than I thought I would reading the description. "Oh no not another time loop" I thought. But it has a nice post-apocalyptic field to the deserted village and the story was interesting and felt a bit different. I still feel that Lucie doesn't seem as sharp or clever in this second series which is a bit disappointing. I'm hoping that will change and she'll go back to how she was originally.
Christopher Buchanan
This had so much weirdness on in the beginning I thought it would be a hot mess but it actually resolved in a very sensible manner. Well, in as much as a DW story can be sensible. Very imaginative story. The runner gag about the song was fun and Lucy was sharp in this. Highly enjoyable.

Nicholas Whyte
We start off in what appears to be an English village which is mysteriously repeating the events of 1 September 1991. The answer to the mystery turns out to involve Uzbekistan and Autons, with guest appearances from Adrian Dunbar and Derek Griffiths; another solid piece from Jonathan Clements.
Oliver Böttcher
Very interesting story, but the mystery of this little English town is solved a little bit to early for my taste. The second half is about standard discussions with trigger happy soldiers, about the nature of life and consciousness.
Ritchie
May 28, 2015 Ritchie rated it really liked it
This one somehow got consumed out of order. This wasn't first Eighth Dictor story with Companion Lucie Miller but obviously not her first story. Time to backtrack...
Fred21
Fred21 rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Vworp! Vworp!
Vworp! Vworp! rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2014
J.E. Remy
J.E. Remy rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Jane Washburn
Jane Washburn rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2008
OLeg89
OLeg89 rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
David Monroe
David Monroe rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Saturnberry
Saturnberry rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Brian Ashley
Brian Ashley rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2009
Ollie Hawkins
Ollie Hawkins rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Kimber
Kimber rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Tony Sims-Novis
Tony Sims-Novis rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
GARETH J. BOWLEY
GARETH J. BOWLEY rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part One
  • Doctor Who: Sisters of the Flame (Doctor Who: The New Eighth Doctor Adventures)
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 2
  • Doctor Who: The Zygon Who Fell to Earth
  • Doctor Who: Deimos
  • Doctor Who: Orbis (The New Eighth Doctor Adventures)
  • Doctor Who: Dead London
  • Doctor Who: The Chimes of Midnight
  • Doctor Who: Terror Firma
  • Doctor Who: Spare Parts
  • Doctor Who: Faith Stealer
  • Doctor Who: Caerdroia
  • Doctor Who: The One Doctor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #27)
Jonathan Clements is an author, translator, biographer and scriptwriter. His non-fiction works include biographies of Confucius, Marco Polo, Mao Zedong, Koxinga and Qin Shihuangdi. He also writes for NEO magazine and is the co-author of encyclopedias of anime and Japanese television dramas.
More about Jonathan Clements...

New Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 1