Start by marking “Please Don't Feed the Bears: A Vegan Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Please Don't Feed the Bears: A Vegan Cookbook

Please Don't Feed the Bears: A Vegan Cookbook

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In the vein of the classic Soy Not Oi cookbook, Please Don’t Feed The Bears compiles three issues of the previously self-published vegan cook zine with a range of tasty and simple animal-free dishes. The collection finally makes available these long-obscure fanzines originally published in the mid 1990s. Here you’ll find incredible recipes for stews, soups, sauces, noodle ...more
Zine, 54 pages
Published 1997

To ask other readers questions about Please Don't Feed the Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Don't Feed the Bears

Kristin
I really loved this book. It has lots of recipes that look very tasty, but other than that I'm not sure I could really tell you why I loved the book. It's filled with odd drawings, random quotes, and short snippets of the author's life and thoughts.

Each recipe comes with a music recommendation. As far as I can tell all the bands are rather obscure heavy metal bands. I say "as far as I can tell" because I know absolutely nothing about this style of music. My tastes in music run a little more...s
chris
Oct 29, 2007 chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, quick preface to this review.

I have not tried any of the recipes yet, but the book was completely entertaining. The food sounded great too. I found myself ripping my receipt into strips to bookmark recipes I had to try.

Its looks like a high quality book, which is a pretty big surprise. It cost $5. I may never need another cookbook. Mine says 'First Edition, 3000 Copies' which doesn't seem like very many copies.

It feels like a collection of punk and hardcore show flyers, that happen to be
Pete
Oct 19, 2014 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Packed full of great vegan recipes, this was my go-to cookery book as a student.
The book is brimming with personality, filled with doodles, and each recipe comes with a reccomended rock song.
Also, the back includes a guide for tattoo-ing yourself (Which is not recommended, but still gives a fun sense of identity.
However, its zine aesthetic does mean there are no pictures of the food, which is a big let down.
Spat
Nov 11, 2012 Spat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not vegan. I don't restrict my diet in anyway. But, for four years once I ate a strictly vegan diet and at that time this book was only available as three separate zines. Now, eight years later I just bought a copy of the compiled book because the recipes are so damned delicious.
It reads sort of like a companion piece to "Soy Not Oi!" which it was definitely inspired by. The margins are full of anecdotes, inspired quotes, and terrific illustrations, but the bulk of the book is delicious veg
HeavyReader
Jun 19, 2008 HeavyReader rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: DIY vegans who want to eat well without spending two hours preparing every meal
Shelves: food, zines
I sort of knew Brad Misanthropic in the Crescent Wrench days in NOLA. He was selling this cookbook zine at Crescent Wrench, and I bought a copy. I still have it and use it to this day. The pages are tattered and have turned a weird yellowish grey color, with splashes of brown stain, probably vanilla or cocoa powder.

My favorite recipes are for chocolate redemption cake and the uncheese sauce that I still cook every few months. (For a while, I made that uncheese sauce ALL THE TIME!)

Also, the instr
Ryan Mishap
Cookbooks belong in the "guidebook" section, yah?
Filled with weird drawings, personal text, and obscure metal selections to help you rock out while you cook, this is a delightful collection of the recipe zines.
The main problem with most vegan cook zines is that most of the recipes are beginner-level vegan stuff (scramples, etc.), but the instructions are written in an off-hand manner that almost require experienced cooking abilities. That is the case here, but there are enough interesting reci
Maria Panteli
I liked this book. There are a lot of recipes!!! Most of them seem great. the only thing I don't like is the amount of fake meats that appear in this book. I don't like the texture, it's too similar to real meat. The one thing that made this book stand out from most other vegan cook books was the stories and other fun stuff on every page.
F
Apr 25, 2009 F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vegans.
Recommended to F by: Found it in an anarchist collective.
YES. Best collected vegan recipes. And, as an added bonus, the best black metal cooking soundtrack you can find, an interview with Carcass, amusing illustrations and anecdotes, and how to make your own tattoo machine. What more do you want?
Maria K.
Oct 29, 2012 Maria K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's crazy, it doesn't make any sense, and it's absolutely brilliant. Even if you don't plan on making any of the recipes in this little gem, you should own a copy.
Jess
Nov 11, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best vegan cookbook ever! Most of the recipes have easy-to-find ingredients unlike other vegan cookbooks I've bought.
Eric
Nov 27, 2007 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essentials, cookbooks
One of the finest. This is essential. I actually have 2 recipes in here! Brad is awesome. This book is really fantastic.
Sara
Jan 22, 2009 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The lack of index is frustrating...but is made up for by a wealth of metal clip art? The recipe for vegan nougat is intriguing.
Sunfall
Nov 28, 2007 Sunfall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hip heavy metal types
crap, absolute wonderful crap. Too bad he suddenly thinks he's a headbanger instead of a punk. trendy bastard.
sarah
Jul 16, 2007 sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
good old brad. he loves food, he loves metal, he loves bears.
Tym
Jun 27, 2008 Tym rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yum.
M F Campbell
M F Campbell rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Holi Bats
Holi Bats rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Stephanie Sedgman
Stephanie Sedgman rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
chris garver
chris garver rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Simone Ivatts
Simone Ivatts marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Butte
Butte added it
Nov 20, 2015
Glory
Glory marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
hey.emily
hey.emily rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Amanda McCrohan
Amanda McCrohan marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015