Start by marking “The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur” as Want to Read:
The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur

The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur (Queen of Camelot #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The story of a love and a treachery that would live for all time. Guinevere and Arthur. Lancelot and Merlin and Morgan Le Fay -- all the names of myth are given flesh and blood in this Del Rey Discovery of the Year book!
Mass Market Paperback, 307 pages
Published July 2nd 1994 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Child Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Child Queen

Erin Germain
I read this when it first came out. For as long as I can remember, I've been a fan of Arthurian tales, but other than Marion Zimmer Bradley's masterpiece The Mists of Avalon, they don't really tell much about the women of Camelot. This is nowhere near the scope of Bradley's book, but it was still enjoyable. The Guinevere portrayed here is young, shy, but courageous and determined. In love with two men, she does her best to hold to what is right, while dealing with the pain and shame of not being ...more
Jul 31, 2007 Kelly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Arthurian lit fans looking for a light read
Meh. Even at the young age I read this at, meh. It was fine. Nothing really stood out to me. Except maybe that Guinevere wasn't the horrid bitch that I thought she was before that. Nothing special, but it's there. It read pretty quickly. I can't remember enough to say if it was on the good side or bad side of meh.
First of all Guinevere is by far the most believable, human version of this character. Though her you fall in love with Lancelot. Then you fall in love with Arthur. A beautiful, heartbreaking tale from the round table.
Nov 28, 2008 Miranda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction lovers
Shelves: favourite, arthurian
This is a book I picked out on a whim at the library when I was in high school. It is the book that got me intensely interested in the King Arthur myths.
A slow start but once the story picked up it was very intriguing although I think the ending was rather abrupt. Looking forward to reading Part 2.
Aaron Carson
I was a huge fan of The Mists of Avalon, but this series has something that my holy book has not; a believable Guenivere. The sort of Tom Boyish, heroic girl featured in these books, struck a chord in me, and I felt something like a pang of recognition. McKenzie packs a lot of vivid imagery into two smallish volumes, which will inevitably be compared with Bradley's mammoth work. Considering that the herione of the piece is the Queen and not an enchantress (enchantresses being much more popular i ...more
Fiona Mccrea
I read this when I was in junior high. At the time it was my second favorite Arthurian tale (The Crystal Cave was first).

I tried it again in college. It didn't really hold up. But I can't help but have a soft spot in my heart.
Feb 14, 2012 Jillian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Arthurian legend
Recommended to Jillian by: Katie
I first read this in high school and was completely enthralled. The world that McKenzie painted was so thrilling and magical, colorful and beautiful that I read this book over and over and just lost myself in it. I really cared about the characters and what happened to them, and I adored how Guinevere was portrayed and how her struggles were thought about and discussed. One of the best books I've ever read, done in a writing style that complimented the subject matter perfectly--a true work of ar ...more
A different version of the King Arthur Story. It led me to the Mists of Avalon. I did enjoy it very much.
Read it ages ago, and since it popped up on my GR recommendations, I thought I'd shelve it.
I read this a long time ago (17 years) and never completed the series. I should begin again.
This book is a favorite from my early high school days. It focuses on the life of Guinevere. The characters are well-developed and wonderfully human, despite the fact that the reader knows they are going to become a part of extraordinary events. One of my favorite parts of this story is how it provides such a strong foundation for how Guinevere could end up in love with both Lancelot and Arthur. The book has some very poetic passages and scenes while always keeping in mind that these amazing peo ...more
This was a recommended reading back for my high school Freshman English class. It tells the story of King Arthur from Guinevere's perspective. Since it was recommended back in high school, it is not a challenging read, but fun nonetheless. I believe it is a hard book to find, so if you would like to read it, let me know.
This was a fun read. The story of Arthur told from Guinevere's perspective. I think the love-triangle between Arthur-Guinevere-Lancelot is treated really well and as I have always wanted to imagine it.
The single work of Aurthurian fiction where I have ever liked Guinevere. For that reason alone, I think it's worth a read. It's fun, if you're feeling like an afternoon of King Arthur.
This is an absorbing tale told from Guinevere's perspective. And what a heart wrenching tale! I really love this book and it's sequel.
Oct 10, 2007 Nisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: arthurian legend
I read this a while ago. It's a great, easy read, especially for those who like Arthurian legend and Guinevere in particular.
I love books from this time period. Plus it was an interesting twist on the Guinevere - Arthur love story.
On the night of Guinevere's birth, a wise woman prophesizes her fate. Story of how her destiny plays out.
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur by Nancy Mckenzie (1994)
May 06, 2008 Kristen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Arthurian legend variations
Definitely a comfort book for me, which is why I re-read it earlier this year.
Sep 02, 2012 Amandeep marked it as to-read
omg i can't wait to read this book!! hopefully i can get it asap
One of my favorite series of all time!
Nicola Deary
Nicola Deary marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Francesca marked it as to-read
TJ marked it as to-read
Rob Bucholtz
Rob Bucholtz marked it as to-read
Claire Bailey
Claire Bailey marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • The Pendragon
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • The Hawk's Gray Feather (The Tales of Arthur, #1)
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere, #1)
Nancy McKenzie is the author of several novels based on Arthurian tales. Guinevere’s Gift is her first novel for young adults. She lives in Danbury, Connecticut.
More about Nancy McKenzie...

Queen of Camelot (2 books)
  • High Queen
Queen of Camelot Grail Prince Guinevere's Gift (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #1) High Queen Prince of Dreams: A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte