Start by marking “Not for Tourists 2009 Guide to Washington Dc” as Want to Read:
Not for Tourists 2009 Guide to Washington Dc

Not for Tourists 2009 Guide to Washington Dc

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Not for Tourists guidebooks are map-based, neighbourhood by neighbourhood guides designed to lighten the load of already street-savvy residents, commuters, business travellers, and yes, tourists too. Each map is marked with user-friendly icons identifying the services and entertainment centres that you look for as you make your way through town: everything from post office ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Not for Tourists (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Not for Tourists 2009 Guide to Washington Dc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not for Tourists 2009 Guide to Washington Dc

Charlotte
Jan 13, 2009 Charlotte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do NOT, under any circumstances, buy, borrow, read, use, or consult this book. It is awful in every way. First, and most fundamentally, the book is chock-full of typographical errors: spelling, punctuation, grammar, you name it. This is distracting and serves to cancel out whatever small measure of credibility the guide might otherwise have had. I also found several instances where the "practical" information (hours, prices, rules, etc.) was completely wrong, specifically for some of the Smithso ...more
Yoga Prakasa
Jul 23, 2008 Yoga Prakasa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newcomer to DC area
Shelves: travel
Like its title, this guide is created for newcomers to the city, those intending to live for extended period. Therefore not only you can find the usual recreational destinations such as the Smithsonian complexes, the Zoo, and historical sites in DC, but also the more mundane but essential spots for residents such as post offices, banks, pharmacies, and grocery stores.

The book's content is dedicated in the most part to providing readers with series of maps, 46 to be exact, and several sub-maps. S
Oct 29, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful for visiting DC a little off the beaten path. The China town restaurant recommended (Full Kee) is great, but I also think you can find other great restaurants in China Town. I do feel that the book undervalues the history in Washington a little, but I think that is kind of the point. If you want a book heavy on DC history, there are other options. Good for local food and bar suggestions.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Apr 08, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all that travel
Recommended to Noran by: myself
Shelves: travel
i will never travel to a city again without first checking to see if there is one of an edition of this book for that city!
this book breaks up the city into sections, then you can just rubber band that page open--the band is attached to the book.
it lists things like drug stores, dry cleaners, etc--you might need, but could nit tell by a phone book-which is closest is to you. i live close to chicago and i keep one in my car--much easier, than a road map to read. just the right size to travel with
Daniel
Jun 24, 2008 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to pretend they know DC.
Shelves: non-fiction, dc
This guidebook is ok. It's pretty banal (a map of gas stations?) and is rendered pretty obsolete if you have a high enough belt in google-fu.

I was excited by the title (as an anti-tourist DC resident), and my parents were given it by a friend and they didn't want it, so I took it. And it will collect dust on my shelf and make moving ~1 pound more annoying.
Chris
Jul 24, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent guidebook for those moving to our capital. It has info about living in DC and the surrounding areas, parks, transit, and about everything you can think of. Very helpful for those unfamiliar with the area.
Sarah karney
Oct 15, 2007 Sarah karney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best guide around, especially for those of us who, well, aren't tourists. Paul, Kerri and I consult it all the time to, say, find a liquor store in district heights or find all night dry cleaners...
Morgan
Oct 30, 2007 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, reference
It indicates where gas stations, supermarkets, banks, coffee shops, and other essential destinations are located in every neighborhood in the D.C. metro area.
Rwb876
Rwb876 marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Evan Wilder
Evan Wilder rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Pam Warburton
Pam Warburton marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Cara Klein
Cara Klein rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
S J
S J rated it did not like it
May 08, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Vonia
Vonia rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Gavin
Gavin rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Oct 27, 2014
Judith Babarsky
Judith Babarsky rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Danny Ovando
Danny Ovando rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Zahreen
Zahreen rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Mark Boszko
Mark Boszko rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Ddddd
Ddddd rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Wendy Ryan
Wendy Ryan rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2014