Start by marking “Ireland: A Terrible Beauty” as Want to Read:
Ireland: A Terrible Beauty

Ireland: A Terrible Beauty

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ireland: a terrible beauty ; the story of Ireland today (1970's during the time of the Troubles) with 388 photographs, including 108 in full color, 213 pages.
Published March 1982 by Bantam Books (first published October 21st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ireland

Lisa
There are several different metrics by which one could rate this book, so take my three-star rating with a grain of salt.

Strengths:
- The photographs are amazing and impactful, and a certain few will always remain with me when I think of Ireland. Jill Uris did an excellent job of capturing the "spirits," both friendly and unfriendly, that haunt Ireland.
- Leon Uris's descriptions and personal thoughts regarding the long-ago and recent history of Ireland are movingly lyrical and bring Ireland to li
Clare Fitzgerald
I picked up Jill Uris and Leon UrisIreland A Terrible Beauty with the intention of giving it a quick skim; the book is part of my dad’s motley collection of old Irish stuff that he’s decorated the “camp” in Maine with. Much of this stuff is at least as old as I am; it includes a collection of VHS tapes about Irish emigration, and a lot of signs and wall hangings that I recall as fixtures in the basement of our first house, the one in which I shared a room with my little brother.

Ireland: A Ter
Aug 13, 2007 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Ireland, Irish politics, history
I could have saved $40,000 in a celtic studies degree if only I had read this book. Everything I learned in university (with the exception of Irish Gaelic) was pretty much in here. Way more economical to just read this. Oh well.
Nancy
This book was like a companion to Trinity - the true side of the fictional story. It may be a bit dated, from the 70's, but it explained and amplified the story of Trinity. The photographs were amazing, often sad, especially the children.
Manny Hawthorne
Super read! Wish I had of read it thirty years ago; maybe I'll read it again? You see, I'm one of the unlucky ones, who left my Home (N.Ireland) & all who belong to me; because of the "Troubles!" I'll say this though, that if you're not from Ireland you'll never understand the "troubles" and / or my story; saved by reading this little book. A Terrible Beauty, an irony to put it mildly! As the book addresses, a beautiful land & people indeed, forever living life's irony!
Nativeabuse
I love reading outdated books, and this is a great book. It is written only a few years after Bloody Sunday, and it has tons of interesting quotes, interviews, and beautiful pictures I have never seen anywhere else.

It tells the whole history of the troubles from the very early beginnings all the way to what was then the present. Fantastic book.
pjr8888
its many photos enliven the taut and exciting prose.

i read this soon after it was published in the mid 70's.

i remember i bought and read it then in tribute to cuch moriarty... it still today has a compelling power that pulls me into every page!
Jenny
This was one of the best pictorial histories of the troubles to ever be published. This book really showed how Northern Ireland was during the 1970's. I fell in love with this book. It's just too bad it is out of print.
Bap
Leon and Jill Uris combine pictures and text to portray Ireland . The text are short essays to accompany the pictures. Pictures are beautiful. Ranges from poltics, the people, the countryside and the culture.
Echo
This was written at the height of The Troubles, so obviously, it's a little outdated by now. The authors also let their bias shine through at times. Still, it was an interesting look into 1970s Ireland.
Marisella
A photographic journal of the Uris' years in Ireland; beautiful and achingly sad
Kathy
Nov 20, 2012 Kathy added it
This is one of the most amazing photography/tabletop books I have ever seen.
Peggy Onlock
beautiful photos....well titled....brings back a lot of memories
Suzanne
Mar 04, 2008 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with interest in ireland
Shelves: nonfiction
Simply, wow....sad, beautiful and completely true.
Randy
Randy added it
Jan 28, 2015
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Es
Es marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Victoria Poon
Victoria Poon marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Ruth Altobelli
Ruth Altobelli marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Lee Flynn
Lee Flynn marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
  • Booking Passage: We Irish and Americans
  • Borstal Boy
  • The Course of Irish History
19708
Leon Marcus Uris (August 3, 1924 - June 21, 2003) was an American novelist, known for his historical fiction and the deep research that went into his novels. His two bestselling books were Exodus, published in 1958, and Trinity, in 1976.

Leon Uris was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Jewish-American parents Wolf William and Anna (Blumberg) Uris. His father, a Polish-born immigrant, was a pa
More about Leon Uris...