Start by marking “A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
(Grades K-5) No one likes Josh the Tattler because he tattles way too much. He tattles on his classmates, his brother, and even his dog! But one night he wakes up to find his tongue is very long, yellow, and covered in bright purple spots. Will a bad case of Tattle Tongue help him learn the difference between tattling and telling? This book gives teachers and counselors a ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by National Center for Youth Issues (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue

Carson Armentrout
Nov 20, 2015 Carson Armentrout rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This is hands down, one of my favorite books to read to my students (multiple times a year)! Joshua is the king of tattling. He will tattle on anyone, even his friends, about anything. He tattles on his friend for taking his pencil and tattles on two girls for not sharing with each other on the playground, even though it has nothing to do with him. Josh's mom warns him about tattling about how he might get "tattle tongue"! Itchy itchy, scratchy scratchy... Terrified to get tattle tongue Josh end ...more
Kirsten Stuber
Nov 11, 2015 Kirsten Stuber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue is the story of a little boy named Josh who had a big problem with tattling. He tattled so much that no one wanted to sit by him at lunch, or play with him at recess. Josh tattled so much that he started to get "tattle tongue" where he started to twitch, scratch, purple spots start to show on his tongue. It gets really bad! Josh's mom told him that every time he tattles his tongue will grow longer and longer, and yellower and yellower with more and more purple spots. ...more
Joe Padon
Aug 01, 2014 Joe Padon rated it liked it
Cook, J. (2006). A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue. TN: National Center for Youth Issues

Josh has a terrible habit of tattling. Because of this bad habit, nobody wants to be Josh's friend. One night Josh developed a bad case of the tattle tongue. Every time he tattles, his tongue turns yellow with purple spots and becomes long and itchy. This bad case of the tattle tongue helps Josh to learn the difference between tattling and telling.

I would recommend this to Kindergarten classes as this is when a lo
The Styling Librarian
A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue by Julia Cook, illustrated by Anita DuFalla – Isn’t it wonderful when you have THAT book that fits a certain need? Dealing with tattling can be discussed by sharing this book… especially since different kinds of problems lead to different scenarios.
Savannah
Jan 23, 2014 Savannah rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, a godsend! I love how an Tattler gets Tattle Tongue (long yellow tongue with purple spots that will grow and grow) by the Tattle Prince. The difference between warning and tattling is if someone is in danger. The only way to cure the Tattle Tongue is to learn the rules.

The Tattle Rules:

Rule # 1
Be a Danger Ranger.
If a person or animal is in danger, you MUST warn someone!

Rule # 2
Be a Problem Solver.
If the problem involves YOU, take charge and try hard to solve it yourself first.
Nicola Mitchell
A lovely book to share with a class or individual. Explores a story where the main character has become a thorn in the side of his class, as he is always telling tales. When is it a good thing to tell and when does it become tale telling...
Lindsey Dowler
Jan 31, 2015 Lindsey Dowler rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a cute story that would be great for lower elementary kiddos at the beginning of the year. It talks about what tattling is and what might happen if kids continue to tattle!
Chelsea Smith
Mar 19, 2016 Chelsea Smith rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read to students and young children to help them learn about the difference between tattling and telling an adult if someone might be in danger.
Natalie Pouniu
This book is good for tattle tale kids. It also gives some guidelines for kids to follow, the difference between tattling and warning about something dangerous.
Paula
Sep 19, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book was a godsend. I read it to my kinders and now when they tattle, I just tell them I see their tongues starting to turn yellow and they stop. LOL
Julie
Oct 28, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Good book to help distinguish between tattling and warning. Wish I would have read at the beginning of the year, but a good review nonetheless.
Susan
Jan 07, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Gives a good explanation of tattling and telling and great strategies to know the difference.
Rita M
Jul 14, 2015 Rita M rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Always a good lesson!
Ria Gill
May 04, 2014 Ria Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue by Julia Cook is a creative means of teaching young children how to decipher the difference between tattling and letting an adult know when someone is in danger. This is a book with humor, which wold keep the attention of boys who frequently need more motivation to read. The illustrations are sure to catch any reader's attention.
Ms. A.
Jan 17, 2013 Ms. A. rated it it was amazing
Itchy itchy, scratchy scratchy. In the spirit of pinnochio this book teaches that for every action (or choice) there is a reaction. I was skeptical at first worried that the book would fall into the "don't snitch" category. Instead the book very carefully defines when its okay to "tell" and when is is simply none of your beeswax. Very well done in my humble opinion.
Please keep in mind this book is wordy so it is not for younger kiddos, but an older group who will understand the concepts.
Betsy
Jun 18, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
Much to my surprise, my 5 year old daughter picked this book out. I wasn't really excited about it, even as I was pre-reading it, but she loved it and as I read it aloud to her, I realized that it does have a lot of great teaching points. It is a fine line between what's tattling and what's necessary to tell grown ups about and this book does a good job of teaching kids about this difference. Since reading it, my daughter has referred back to it several times to talk about tattling.
Tiffany
May 29, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Someone posted this on pinterest so I gave it a shot. This book gives several examples of when to tattle, when not to tattle, when to tell (if there is danger) and when to mind your own business. Would be great for teachers to read in class. Also illustrates the consequences of tattling on friends too much.
Shelbi Carter
Audience: This book would be great for pre-k through sixth graders. All teachers who are struggling with tattle taling in their classrooms would benefit from this book.
Appeal: This book could be used to discuss the topic of when it is appropriate to tattle and when it is not.

Pre-class book
Gaby Roman
This is a great book for the younger grades of students who tattle a lot. I would read this in the beginning of the year and discuss the difference between tattling and telling something. As a class we will come of with examples of each and discuss the difference between the two.
Tracy
Sep 30, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-children
This kindergarten classic encourages the four tattle rules to avoid itchy, itchy, scratchy, scratchy, twitchy, twitchy, catchy, catchy tattle tongue. Rule 1, Be a danger ranger. Rule 2, Be a problem solver. Rule 3, Now or Later? Rule 4, MYOB (Mind Your Own Beeswax!)
Thao
Apr 24, 2013 Thao rated it really liked it
This book can be read in the beginning of the school year, preferably the first week, to teach students the difference between tattling and telling. This book would be useful to read throughout the school year to remind the students of these rules.
Stephanie Croaning
This is a good book to read to help children figure out the difference between tattling and telling. The illustrations are colorful, but the figures are not really appealing. My daughter told me they were weird and she didn't like them.
Jeaneen Kindschuh
Sep 12, 2013 Jeaneen Kindschuh rated it it was amazing
As a librarian I try to read a lot of books for all age groups. Julia Cook is an author from Nebraska! She has created wonderful stories to help teach children of all ages lessons! I think I have read them all! Check her out.
Liz B
Apr 19, 2011 Liz B rated it really liked it
A Bad Case of the Tattle Tongue is a nice book to illustrate to students the difference between tattling and giving teacher a warning. This is a good book to read more than one time to help them get the concept.
Olivia Rowley
Sep 17, 2013 Olivia Rowley rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful book that will help children learn the difference in tattling and telling. It has great artwork and I would definitely read this book to my students around the beginning of the school year.
Mariel Galgas
This book has been a life saver this school year! Reading it has slowed down tattling in my class. The rules for tattling are great and I love to say "itchy, itchy, scratchy, scratchy" to stop them in their tracks!
Rebecca Martin
Sep 23, 2012 Rebecca Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: manners, tattle-tale
This is a good book to read if your students are tattle taling. After reading the book the students can discuss when it is right and wrong to tattle tale. Discuss the differences between tattling and telling.
Nancy Vu
Apr 18, 2012 Nancy Vu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece3601
This is a must read to students on the first week of students. We must teach them the difference of tattling and telling. This save a lot of time and less disruptions. Grades K-5.
Gina Starling
Feb 10, 2012 Gina Starling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece3601
PK-1

A good book that teaches the difference between "tattling" and "telling".

I would use this book throughout the year to remind my students of these rules.
Andrea Retana
This is a significant book for teaching children the differences between tatting and telling something. I would love to read this book on the first week of school.
  • Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales
  • Just Kidding
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • What If Everybody Did That?
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)
  • Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • What I Like about Me
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • The Recess Queen
  • What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger
  • Armadillo Tattletale