A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  28 reviews
(Grades K-5) No one likes Josh the Tattler because he tattles way too much. He tattles on his classmates, his brother, and even his dog! But one night he wakes up to find his tongue is very long, yellow, and covered in bright purple spots. Will a bad case of Tattle Tongue help him learn the difference between tattling and telling? This book gives teachers and counselors a...more
Published June 1st 2006 by National Center for Youth Issues (first published December 1st 2005)

Savannah
Oh my goodness, a godsend! I love how an Tattler gets Tattle Tongue (long yellow tongue with purple spots that will grow and grow) by the Tattle Prince. The difference between warning and tattling is if someone is in danger. The only way to cure the Tattle Tongue is to learn the rules.

The Tattle Rules:

Rule # 1
Be a Danger Ranger.
If a person or animal is in danger, you MUST warn someone!

Rule # 2
Be a Problem Solver.
If the problem involves YOU, take charge and try hard to solve it yourself first....more
Ms.
Itchy itchy, scratchy scratchy. In the spirit of pinnochio this book teaches that for every action (or choice) there is a reaction. I was skeptical at first worried that the book would fall into the "don't snitch" category. Instead the book very carefully defines when its okay to "tell" and when is is simply none of your beeswax. Very well done in my humble opinion.
Please keep in mind this book is wordy so it is not for younger kiddos, but an older group who will understand the concepts.
Betsy
Much to my surprise, my 5 year old daughter picked this book out. I wasn't really excited about it, even as I was pre-reading it, but she loved it and as I read it aloud to her, I realized that it does have a lot of great teaching points. It is a fine line between what's tattling and what's necessary to tell grown ups about and this book does a good job of teaching kids about this difference. Since reading it, my daughter has referred back to it several times to talk about tattling.
Devon Ledrew
A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue is a great way to teach kids not to tattle about little things. It is about a little boy who tattles so much his mother makes up a story about his tongue to scare him. The tattle fairy visits him and tells him the rules about tattling and warning. He does not tattle anymore, only warns. This is a great book for teachers and parents to teach their children not to tattle because some young children do it too much.
Tiffany
Someone posted this on pinterest so I gave it a shot. This book gives several examples of when to tattle, when not to tattle, when to tell (if there is danger) and when to mind your own business. Would be great for teachers to read in class. Also illustrates the consequences of tattling on friends too much.
Shelbi Carter
Audience: This book would be great for pre-k through sixth graders. All teachers who are struggling with tattle taling in their classrooms would benefit from this book.
Appeal: This book could be used to discuss the topic of when it is appropriate to tattle and when it is not.

Pre-class book
Gaby Roman
This is a great book for the younger grades of students who tattle a lot. I would read this in the beginning of the year and discuss the difference between tattling and telling something. As a class we will come of with examples of each and discuss the difference between the two.
Tracy
This kindergarten classic encourages the four tattle rules to avoid itchy, itchy, scratchy, scratchy, twitchy, twitchy, catchy, catchy tattle tongue. Rule 1, Be a danger ranger. Rule 2, Be a problem solver. Rule 3, Now or Later? Rule 4, MYOB (Mind Your Own Beeswax!)
Thao
This book can be read in the beginning of the school year, preferably the first week, to teach students the difference between tattling and telling. This book would be useful to read throughout the school year to remind the students of these rules.
Stephanie Croaning
This is a good book to read to help children figure out the difference between tattling and telling. The illustrations are colorful, but the figures are not really appealing. My daughter told me they were weird and she didn't like them.
Jeaneen Kindschuh
As a librarian I try to read a lot of books for all age groups. Julia Cook is an author from Nebraska! She has created wonderful stories to help teach children of all ages lessons! I think I have read them all! Check her out.
Liz B
A Bad Case of the Tattle Tongue is a nice book to illustrate to students the difference between tattling and giving teacher a warning. This is a good book to read more than one time to help them get the concept.
Olivia Rowley
This book is a wonderful book that will help children learn the difference in tattling and telling. It has great artwork and I would definitely read this book to my students around the beginning of the school year.
Mariel Galgas
This book has been a life saver this school year! Reading it has slowed down tattling in my class. The rules for tattling are great and I love to say "itchy, itchy, scratchy, scratchy" to stop them in their tracks!
Rebecca Martin
This is a good book to read if your students are tattle taling. After reading the book the students can discuss when it is right and wrong to tattle tale. Discuss the differences between tattling and telling.
Nancy Vu
This is a must read to students on the first week of students. We must teach them the difference of tattling and telling. This save a lot of time and less disruptions. Grades K-5.
Gina Starling
PK-1

A good book that teaches the difference between "tattling" and "telling".

I would use this book throughout the year to remind my students of these rules.
Andrea Retana
This is a significant book for teaching children the differences between tatting and telling something. I would love to read this book on the first week of school.
Bethany
This is a useful book to teach children the difference between tattling and telling to help others. Guided instruction is included that is useful.
Dubovoyalena
Apr 21, 2013 Dubovoyalena added it
Shelves: frienship
Fun book that teaches children the difference between tattling and telling, book includes many funny illustrations for kids
Kinsey
THis is a good lesson teaching book. I f your children of you lie read this book.
Marcie
Sep 14, 2012 Marcie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Westview
A little too didactic for me, but certainly should find a nitch!
Rebeka
Awesome story to teach the difference of tattling and informing!
Samantha
I really good way to teach about tattling.
Shelli
A must have book for any parent or teacher.
Natalie
Aug 04, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: teachers for classroom, parents, students
Funny, a keeper for the subject of tattling!
Gretchen
GREAT BOOK FOR ALL KIDS!
Yekta
Book buddy book!!!!!!
Rita Calixto-Jarvis
Rita Calixto-Jarvis marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
My Mouth Is a Volcano! Personal Space Camp: Teaching Children the Concepts of Personal Space I Just Don't Like the Sound of No! My Story About Accepting No for an Answer and Disagreeing the Right Way! (Best Me I Can Be) It's Hard to Be a Verb! The Worst Day of My Life Ever! Book with Audio CD