Start by marking “These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories (Sarah Agnes Prine, #1)” as Want to Read:

These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories (Sarah Agnes Prine #1)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  48,036 Ratings  ·  8,786 Reviews
A moving, exciting, and heartfelt American saga inspired by the author's own family memoirs, these words belong to Sarah Prine, a woman of spirit and fire who forges a full and remarkable existence in a harsh, unfamiliar frontier. Scrupulously recording her steps down the path Providence has set her upon--from child to determined young adult to loving mother--she shares th ...more
Published February 17th 1999 by ReganBooks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about These Is My Words, please sign up.

Chancy Schaaf I read it in 6th grade. I was very shy and wouldn't talk about anything or listen to anything that related to girls, guys, or both. I think it is good…moreI read it in 6th grade. I was very shy and wouldn't talk about anything or listen to anything that related to girls, guys, or both. I think it is good for any age able to read it.(less)
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best for Book Clubs
98th out of 3,958 books — 9,900 voters
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Best Historical Fiction
148th out of 5,604 books — 21,684 voters

More lists with this book...

Brookann
Mar 21, 2008 Brookann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Brookann by: Holly
I was completely taken by this book! The library fines are racking up because it is overdue and I can't renew it because it has been requested by someone else, but I can't let it go because I find myself going back to it to reread passages and "reliving" moments of the book in my mind. I shed many a tear and towards the end was so enraged I almost threw the book, but I simply cannot stop thinking about it! I'm dying to discuss it with someone.

It is the beautiful and heartbreaking story of a woma
Annalisa
Nov 08, 2008 Annalisa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Annalisa by: Hannah Coleman
The reason I loved this book comes down to one word: authenticity. I bought into this woman's life and believed these characters. I have this vivid picture in my mind of this ranch out in the middle of nowhere with Sarah out there putting laundry on the line with a pistol tucked in her rugged apron.

I don't like western movies or get into frontier stories and was worried, especially by the title, that the grammar would rake on my nerves. But the story is about a thirst for education as much as a
Amanda
Jul 08, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This is, UNEQUIVOCALLY, the best love story I have read.

I devoured this book -- I simply could not put it down. The beginning was gritty, heart-wrenching, and a grammatical mess. Yet, this is part of the author's brilliance. As the main character, Sarah, matures, she is strengthened by her experiences. And as Sarah educates herself at every opportunity, the grammar and story-telling improve.

Without giving anything away, I cannot put into words the romance between Sarah and Captain Jack Elliott.
Her Royal Orangeness
Jun 22, 2011 Her Royal Orangeness rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Not only does the book sound intriguing, but the ratings on Goodreads are amazing - the average rating is 4.45 and 56% of readers gave it 5 Stars.

Apparently I read a different book.

The basic plot of the first half of the book is: Horrible things happen! Awful things happen! She meets a man!! Terrible things happen! Dreadful things happen! The man kisses her!!! And it's all executed in a flat, shallow, and BORING style. A lot of action and no psychological depth.

In the second half of the book, th
Wendy
May 31, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I debated between 2 and 4 stars, but after all is said and done I wouldn't recommend the book to my friends, so it came down to 2. As for reading enjoyment and ability to hold my interest, this book gets a 5. However, the first 30 pages contain enough trauma to send any woman to a pyschiatrist for years! Rape, murder, tragic child deaths, Indian attacks, attempted abduction, etc. It was a bit too much for me to handle.

Although the description says "inspired by the author's grandmother", very li
Tweety
Jan 03, 2016 Tweety rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like a rough, gritty sad and beautiful story
Recommended to Tweety by: Dorcas
After my heart stops hurting I'll write a review, it takes time when you've just fallen off a cliff.

I think I can write it now

I will admit something here and now. Before I read a book I always read the dedication. This book is dedicated To everyone who has ever stood on a hill in a storm That caught my interest really quick and then, six pages in I came across this passage. What can I say? I was hooked. And you know what? I've never even seen a Cottenwood, but Sarah showed it to me.

Page 6:
Margaret
Aug 19, 2008 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Rachelle
Oct 27, 2012 Rachelle rated it it was amazing
This is pretty much my favorite book I've ever read along with it's sequel Sarah's Quilt. First of all, it is a beautiful love story. I cried so much. Any book that makes me feel really emotional, I consider to be a good book. But it is also an incredible tale of determination and down right stubborness. I love that Sarah learned to read, loved learning and by so doing changed her life. I love the way she endured challenges. I want to read it again so I can put more details in here.

************
Jen
Oct 04, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
I totally DID NOT want to read this book, but did for a book group. I loved it. It reminded me of my grandma who grew up AZ and the crazy, hard life that she had. I remember feeling like she was kind of strange, uneducated, and maybe a little scary because she was so tough... she had like 18 inch biceps-- we are talking strong. She was just so different from my other very educated,very classy, rich grandma that I was close to growing up. After reading this book I really wished I would have taken ...more
Dem
Apr 04, 2012 Dem rated it it was ok
These is my words by Nancy E. Turner is the "Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 Arizona Territories.

The blurb on this book reads " The classic adventure of one courageous woman's life struggles in the Arizona Territories in the late nineteenth century, A moving exciting and heartfelt American saga inspired by the authors’ own family memoirs, these words belong to Sarah Prine a woman of spirit and fire who forges a full remarkable existence in a harsh unfamiliar frontier"

I was really looking
katie
Feb 21, 2009 katie rated it it was amazing
i began this book several years ago. i thought it was a non-fictional journal, and once i found out that it was fictional i couldn't get back into the book. Since that time, my mom and sister have pleaded with me to finish this book, as it is an all-time favorite for both of them. i finally heeded their suggestion, and i am so glad i did! i devoured this book and couldn't wait to read each day. set in the late 19th century and written as a journal, it is a captivating story of a feisty, determin ...more
Mehrsa
Mar 12, 2009 Mehrsa rated it liked it
I probably would not have finished this book if I were not reading it for book club. I enjoyed reading it at times, but mostly, I was trying not to roll my eyes and just appreciate that it was Nancy Turner's first novel and it's good for a first shot (although I have read some incredible first novels before). The book is about a woman growing up in the Arizona territories and is written in diary format.

The Good: It's a nice historical novel that really makes you get what life was like then and
Lucy
May 01, 2009 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Way back in the day, before I had ever joined a book group, before the world knew about blogging and before I began keeping track of the books with reviews, I read a book I loved called These Is My Words. I know I loved it all those years ago, and have told countless friends and acquaintances to read it based on that memory of loving it but, if you want to know the truth, the details about the story have become...err....a bit sketchy.

Oh, I remembered that it involved pioneers and a romance and a
Deanne
Mar 30, 2016 Deanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was nitty gritty and I LOVED IT! I have been reading Christian fiction historicals for so long that I forgot what it was like to just read a historical novel that wasn't Christian and refined and have things prim and proper and the bad glossed over! This novel was based on a diary written by the author's grandmother from the years 1881-1901. I loved the realness of it. It tells about life the way it really was back then on the Arizona territories. I am looking forward to reading the tw ...more
Kimberly
Sep 16, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am enjoying this book more than any book I have read in a long time. I love that this is a real life setting about a powerful courageous woman of our time. It shows the struggles and triumphs of life, and I can relate to it in so many ways. I love it!
Melodie
Apr 19, 2015 Melodie rated it it was amazing
Life in the western territories was rough, and uncertain. And it was in this environment that Miss Sarah Prine carved out a life for herself and subsequently her family. Sharp of mind(and tongue) with a thirst for knowledge almost unheard of in that part of the country,Sarah determined early on that she would do what it took to survive and thrive. And thrive she did!
In a no-nonsense manner she records her life in her journal. The reader is with her as she does her daily chores, squabbles with
Janet
Apr 09, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful surprise! This book was not at all what I thought it was before I cracked the spine, or rather I should say, inserted the CD, as I listened to the audio. It is an epistolary novel, written as a series of diary entries spanning a 20 year period in the life of the author's great-grandmother. Sarah Agnes Prine was an early settler in the Arizona territory.

As I live in Arizona, I was thrilled with the references to places and things I know. Even the narrator's mispronunciation of c
Cassy
Where has this book been hiding my whole life? If you like Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind and Gabaldon’s Outlander, I’d say it is a sure bet that you will love this one too. It has the same key ingredients: robust historical setting, epic sprawling action, and two meant-to-be-together characters that have a rocky start to their relationship. And any book that can make me grin and then cry like that deserves five stars.

I am trying to recall some of its flaws. They are few and far between. Obvious
Kelly
Jul 10, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kelly by: Erin and Lisa
This book goes on my top 5 favorite books. Sarah is my hero. This book was so sad about the harsh realities of living in those times in the west. Almost every chapter my heart broke. I loved the romance and practicality of her marriage. She amazed me with her tenacity for life. And how she made the good times help her overcome the hard ones.She was a survival specilist. Her best characteristic I thought was her willingness to do whatever needed to be done. I related to Sarah with her husband Jac ...more
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-group
I loved that this book was in first person. I thoroughly enjoyed being in Sarah's head, knowing what she thought and feeling what she felt. This made her character seem so real, I want to meet her. Although many difficult trials beset this family, Sarah's strength carried them through. I loved the tender accounts of everyday family life - love, longing, frustration, and triumph. One of my most favorite passages is when Sarah gets to sit with her son who has a broken arm, and her other son brings ...more
Rachel
Sep 10, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
4.5 to 5 stars for this book. I can't decide. Any book that causes me to actually cry at the end and feel emotion throughout is a book that will stay with me. Although there were things that certainly annoyed me about this book (predictability, cheesiness, and at times it seemed to drag) by the end I found myself not wanting to say goodbye to Sarah and her family and I do think I will read the next two books that continue her story. I couldn't get enough of Sarah's feisty spirit and attitude in ...more
Lisa
Sep 11, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I'm glad Sally Baird just informed me that there is a sequel.

I was quickly captivated by Sarah's strength of personality. The challenges the Prines endured seemed overwhelming, but not implausible. I admired Sarah's level-headedness & courage. And I just loved her romance with Captain Jack Elliot. I loved the scene, busy with children and cousins and family making lots of noise in a crowded room, when Jack mouths to Sarah "I love you." It felt real. I also liked the story
Krystal
May 16, 2014 Krystal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Krystal by: My book club read it
First Read February 2008: This book is probably in my top 10. I love this book because the main character feels like a real person. The situations she faces and the way she reacts to the situations are very real-life. It's very easy to relate emotionally to this book, and it is an emotional roller coaster. You'll be happy, sad, mad, glad, angry, frusterated, laughing, and crying right along with the characters. Oh and you won't be able to put this book down.

Reread May 2014: I have reread this bo
Cindy
Apr 05, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Cindy by: Jodi
I enjoy historical fiction sometimes, but I'm not much into the Western. But this one was recommended by a friend. She just loved it. I decided to give it a try, but couldn't get a paper copy. But they did have the audiobook, so I checked it out.

I am so glad I did! I was absolutely hooked from the very first CD. It starts out with an Indian ambush, the death of a child, and a brutal attack on some unsuspecting girls, and that was just the first CD!

The story is told as journal entries of Sarah Ag
Dani
Apr 02, 2009 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shiloah
I don't know if I have words to express my feelings regarding this book. I loved it. It's a rare day that I find a book that describes my own relationship with my wonderful husband. Oh, Jack! Why did you have to leave again? I'm sitting here wishing I could hug and hold my Ben but he is a soldier on another mission in Africa. But, at least he will be home again.

I felt so connected to this story. Such a part of it and I understood Sarah so well. I think like her. I'm independent and always doing
Jenny
Aug 18, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub, 2010, 2015
My yearly read of this book was fabulous, as always. I still cry every time I read it.

This is the fictional journal of Sarah, a girl turning into a woman in the Arizona Territories during the late 1800s. Sarah is one of my favorite literary characters right now. If you want to read about a fiery, strong woman, Sarah is both of those.

The novel depicts what life was like fairly accurately as the author used her own family history to write it. I love this book so much because throughout all the h
Jessica
Apr 21, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, heart-breaking book! In this wonderfully researched yet fictional account, Sarah Prine documents her family's settlement in Arizona Territory through a diary covering twenty years, cataloguing all the sadness, joy, hard work and beauty of the era. Babies, family, and friends are lost, cattle rustlers and Indians steal horses and cattle, fires and floods decimate houses and fields, and yet Sarah will not be moved. I couldn't put it down, laughing and crying along with Sarah and ...more
Sandy
My friends we think our life is hard now, think if we had to live in 1881. Their constant struggle for survival lasted from sunup to sundown, lacking our modern conveniences they leaned on each other for strength and endurance and they prayed that someone would hear them in their hour of need. It was either feast or famine for these individuals and as I read this novel, I felt their thirst for rain and their desire for the sun to shine down as the rains finally pounded upon their fields. These i ...more
Holli
Oct 06, 2010 Holli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Honestly and sincerely LOVED this book!! I've been telling everyone about it.... it's a must-read if you love history and period novels. It's written in diary format but reads like a story and the life of Sarah Prine is extraordinary. Thanks for introducing me to her Lizzi! I laughed with her and cried with her and learned with her.... fascinating woman.
2015 Reading Chal...: These Is My words by Nancy E. Turner 2 38 May 17, 2015 07:32PM
Favorite Quotes from These is my Words. 15 271 Aug 12, 2014 09:49AM
West Branch Iowa ...: January Read 3 10 Jan 19, 2014 02:59PM
Topinabee Book Club: Will we keep reading the the series? 1 11 Oct 08, 2013 05:46PM
  • The Diary of Mattie Spenser
  • Jubilee Trail
  • The Magic of Ordinary Days
  • Heaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy
  • Blackmoore
  • Rumors of War (Children of the Promise, #1)
  • Fire of the Covenant: The Story of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies
  • Longing for Home (Longing for Home #1)
  • Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
  • The Rent Collector
  • The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes
  • I Am a Mother
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life
  • Hallelujah
  • The Ladies Auxiliary

Sarah Agnes Prine (3 books)
  • Sarah's Quilt (Sarah Agnes Prine, #2)
  • The Star Garden (Sarah Agnes Prine, #3)

“I might like to have someone courting me. But it would have to be someone who is a square shooter and who has a train load of courage. And it would have to be someone who doesn't have to talk down to folks to feel good, or to tell a person they are worthless ifthey just made a mistake. And he'd have to be not too thin. Why, I remember hugging [my brother] Ernest was like warpping your arms around a fence post,and I love Ernest, but I want a man who can hold me down in a wind. Maybe he'd have to be pretty stubborn. I don't have any use for a man that isn't stubborn. Likely a stubborn fellow will stay with you through thick and thin, and a spineless one will take off, or let his heart wander.” 99 likes
“Children are a burden to a mother, but not the way a heavy box is to a mule. Our children weight hard on my heart, and thinking about them growing up honest and healthy, or just living to grow up at all, makes a load in my chest that is bigger than the safe at the bank,and more valuable to me than all the gold inside it.” 88 likes