Start by marking “Red Moon Rising” as Want to Read:
Red Moon Rising

Red Moon Rising

In 1999 a single, unsuspecting prayer room in England began to spontaneously multiply, touching 46 nations and millions of lives within a matter of months. Every minute since that moment has been filled with unbroken (24-7) prayer, everywhere from the U S Naval Academy and the slums of Delhi to a Swiss skate park and a German punk festival. This movement of prayer is gener ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 2004 by Kingsway Publications (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Red Moon Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Moon Rising

Alanawiens
I ordered this book somewhat by accident - amazon recommended it to me and I put it in my cart to get to my "free shipping" requirement. I remember opening it in a coffee shop in Amherst and the first page had a quote from U2's Electrical Storm, which intrigued me. A book about prayer that quoted U2?

The book opened my eyes to how big God is and how he uses ordinary people. It opened my eyes to a whole different way of living for God that I had never heard of in my quiet suburban churches.

Two yea
Traci
Aug 30, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me by a 16 year old Irish boy. Easy to read. Adventure. Pray first-then wait and see what God brings about and go where He is working and leading. An Incredible Adventure. It re-Awakened the part of me that is hungering for an adventure. Sometimes we get stuck in a prayer module, type or style and it can feel very boring and rote. This really challenged me, got my intercessory gifting excited again.

How many times do we see it modeled in the Bible - 1. Pray first. 2. Wait to see w
Justin
Apr 06, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I never wanted to finish this book. Only because it is so good and I wanted to absorb as much of it as I could. It has really challenged me to take another look at my prayer life. I need to change and pray more. It causes such stirrings in me.
Rachel
Aug 22, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would that everyone interested in understanding the true heart of "emergent" believers read this instead of the McManus and co. tripe. Inspiring, true and relevant.
Shannon
Nov 28, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth the time it takes to chew through it. Every chapter leaves you challenged and empowered to meditate on and use the power of prayer. It's set up as a story following one man with one God-sized dream- to see the Church revive the century old practice of praying 24-7. He doubts his own abililites and the abilities of his fellow men, but once he takes that first step of faith, he sparks something not only to be seen by him but to be felt all over the world. It's beautiful, humblin ...more
Bethel Library
Love the open-arm approach of this ministry. Pray first, serve second. Expecting God to direct and empower everything that is worth doing. A timely read as Gurnee churches gather to pray for God to direct us in loving our own community. From the book's introduction:

“This book is about a prayer movement; 24-7 is catalyzing intercession and mission all over the world, and anyone can join in. ... A nameless, faceless army meets God on its own in tiny prayer rooms from Alaska to Australia and emerge
Victoria
I was informed about the 24-7 prayer movement over a year ago when Missionaries from France talked to the youth group in which I help lead. It was so interesting to see the various prayer room pictures that they shared. I decided to search out more information on it and finally got a chance to read this book! It was good and had some great background history as well as examples for what God has done across the world because of the movement. It would be really wonderful to get one of these prayer ...more
Annie
Apr 04, 2010 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
im reading this book for a second time. changed my life as a high school student and really shook me to read& learn about what 24-7/hour prayer is and how it is impacting individuals and societies in different cities & countries all across the world. God is stirring up a hunger in His people to encounter Him in a real and intimate way through prayer and the receiving of healing and freedom. This is connecting human hearts with God's heart to see cities& countries saved and revived; t ...more
Erin
Mar 17, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself is amazing and inspiring. I found many of the individual tales of sacrifice to be a part of this movement a challenge and a nudge towards action. But as far as the overall book goes, there were just so many individual stories of how God made this movement happen that about halfway through I started to struggle with the flow of the book. The overwhelming proof of God's hand in this process is certainly what makes it great, it just made it hard for me to keep up the pace. Still re ...more
Dráusio Gonçalves
Pete Greig tells the story of the 24/7 prayer movement. One of his inspiration to start it off was the Moravian prayer meeting which lasted for 105 years. Pete's story is amazing and I really liked the way 24/7 involved a huge number of young folks all over the world. The movement not only brought more prayer and faith into people's life but also planted new churches. I really recommend this reading and if you no nothing about this movement get ready to be impacted.
Pammu
Aug 25, 2008 Pammu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone active or interested in ministry
Recommended to Pammu by: my friend Janina
This book reminds me of the Book of Acts in the New Testament. The writing style, admittedly leaves much to desire, but that shouldn't really be the focus. The writers of Red Moon Rising chronicle the faith and perseverance of people who desire the world to be a better place.

This book is no doubt inspiring. The writers don't try to bring attention to themselves, but the stories they tell are powerful and full to the brim with a passion that can change lives.
Karen
Jun 03, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed, prayer
Great read for people fascinated by how God can work his perfection through imperfect people and the power of prayer when it is heart-felt with a strong desire to see and know how God works in our lives and in the lives of others. Easily going to be a great 2nd, 3rd and 4th read as God consistently reveals himself on a deeper and deeper level using our own lives and the lives of others to move us forward.
Jeremiah
Mar 04, 2011 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing and led to a passion for prayer within my life. I have a well worn copy with me almost at all time because I refer to it so much through daily conversation. Shortly after reading this for the first time I set out as the youth intern at my church and we ran a 24-7 Prayer week that went awesome and the Spirit really moved! Since then I've run 3 prayer rooms and helped with countless others and am getting ready to start 4 weeks of prayer at my current church.
Rachel McKinney
Jun 26, 2008 Rachel McKinney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Red Moon Rising is primarily encouragement to live out faith, and to seek out the face of God.

The seemingly redundant accounts reinforce the idea of "seeking" without becoming a "how to" or another piece of "Emergent" tripe.

If you are ever heading down to a House of Prayer, or a prayer retreat, this is a good piece of not too heavy reading that will definitely encourage someone looking for something a little deeper.

Dave Johnson
it started good, but just said the same thing over and over. i told people to just read the first half and then put the book down. it tells the true story of how people are responding to a move of God through prayer. these 24-7 prayer rooms are springing up--literally--around the world. on every continent. the problem that i had is one that i have with a lot of christian books: they are so boring! i lost interest after a while, so this book took longer to read than it normally would.
Ann Thomas
Dec 28, 2015 Ann Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-christian
Truly inspirational. So great to read a book by someone who isn't a super-Christian. Pete Greig confesses he has trouble with prayer and often didn't know what he was doing as 24-7 prayer became a phenomenon, but God used him anyway. And life wasn't a bed of roses while all this was going on either. That means there is hope for any of us.
Andy Gee
Nov 16, 2015 Andy Gee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still an essential read

I read this book over a decade ago and came back to it wondering if it would still have the same impact on me as it did as a teenager. Suffice to say the stories, encouragements and scripture based teaching are as radical as ever and it filled me with hopes d encouragement for the journey.
David Mark
Nov 28, 2015 David Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes a passionate call to holiness and radical submission to Jesus. Pete Greig has a personal and relatable writing style that he uses effectively when describing both his own spiritual journey and those of others throughout history. The poem "The Vision", which is included in the book, is particularly inspirational and memorable.
Bethany Park
Feb 08, 2015 Bethany Park rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really sparked the desire to run the race to win for Christ in my young 20's. I highly recommend for all those who think they are alone in the race, or struggle with being "different" because you want to live righteously and whole-heartedly for God in a decaying world that teaches you to live otherwise.
Mic
Dec 20, 2013 Mic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes this book can lead to left field, but the basic push is to get a generation praying. What I loved about the book was the call to not only pray but to act. That seems to be lost in translation to the majority of 24 hour prayer ministries today.
Poppy Williams
Aug 01, 2007 Poppy Williams rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone intrested in Prayer
I LOVE this book. It's the story of how the 24/7 prayer movement got started in europe. It's amazing to see what God will do when we just offer ourselves to him. If you're interested in books on prayer, add this to your list!
Elizabeth
The thoughts are not really organized and a bit confusing but it was nice to be able to jump from place to place and some of the short stories. It actually motivated me to reconsider the idea of 24/7 Prayer and why.
Edie
Aug 15, 2011 Edie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing to hear more about the 24/7 prayer movement that is going on around the world! God is truly on the move and plans are being set. His will is going to be accomplished and we are privileged to be a part of it.
David 'Wavey' Cowpar
This is one of those books that changed my life.

Prayer is so powerful, who knew?

I would recommend anyone listen to this, God is amazing, and here you will hear about why I can say that.

There is also a 6CD edition for those who don't feel partial to a bit of reading.
Megan
Nov 03, 2007 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it wasn't just about God. It was about how people are seeking to know Him. It was so inspiring. Sometimes I read spiritual books and come out of it more knowledgeable, but this was and continues to be inspiring in my life.
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this after attending several 24/7 prayer rooms and helping to organize another. As powerful as my experiences with the prayer rooms were without having read the book, reading this gave me the history and inspiration to keep being involved.
Kyle  Doty
May 10, 2012 Kyle Doty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Twenty four seven is a better model than ihop out of Kansas city in that there isn't just one prayer room, but many. Inspiring book that really challenges the believer to live a supernatural life.
Natasha Dosa
Inspiring and highly enlightening! A powerful read about the rising prayer movement around the world! Real life stories of simple people catching on to God's heart. A must read! It will infuse your spirit with excitement and stir you up with intensity!
Frank Peters
Jul 02, 2011 Frank Peters rated it really liked it
This is written as an adventure story. In fact, that is really what it is: an adventure story of being part of something special that God is doing. Very easy reading, emotional and highly encouraging.
Kim Zimmerman
Aug 15, 2011 Kim Zimmerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is why we have a prayer room in Lancaster city.
  • Living a Prayerful Life
  • Be Wise: 1 Corinthians: Discern the Difference Between Man's Knowledge and God's Wisdom (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Mirror Ball: Living Boldly and Shining Brightly for the Glory of God
  • True Courage: Emboldened by God in a Disheartening World (Bold Man of God)
  • The Twenty-Piece Shuffle: Why the Poor and Rich Need Each Other
  • Picture Perfect: When Life Doesn't Line Up
  • God's Promise of Happiness
  • Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • Brimstone: The Art and Act of Holy Nonjudgment
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • Thrashing About with God: Finding Faith on the Other Side of Everything
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God

“greatest theologian of the twentieth century, Karl Barth, said that ‘to clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world’. And” 1 likes
“Everyone prays,’ he pointed out. ‘Even non-Christians pray. The difference when Christians do it is that they are climbing into the lap of their heavenly Father.” 1 likes