Start by marking “Talking Straight” as Want to Read:
Talking Straight

Talking Straight

Forthright, direct, and candid as ever, Lee Iacocca proposes fresh answers to today's tough problems. With straight-shooting opinions about the most pressing concerns, Iacocca offers practical scenarios for solving our nation's economic dilemma.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published June 1st 1989 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Talking Straight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking Straight

Jeffrey Williams
May 31, 2015 Jeffrey Williams rated it liked it
I had read his first book 30 years ago when it first came out, and then re-read it again a week ago. His first book was enlightening and inspirational (and co-written by William Novak).

This book, however, co-written by Sonny Kleinfield, was not as strong or well organized as the first book. His next-to-last chapter should have been the first chapter and there were several areas of overlap.

What makes this book worthwhile is the fact that the political issues (most of which he takes a middle-of-
James
Nov 29, 2010 James rated it really liked it
Bits and pieces of thoughts about the country in the late 1980s. Amusingly (or not so), most of the problems are still relevant. The budget deficit, the trade deficit, the rising costs of health insurance, etc. are all addressed within...
Josh
May 14, 2007 Josh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: booksread
An eloquent writer who has a nack for inspiring anyone who reads his material to do great things, or to at least try.
Aditi
Apr 27, 2014 Aditi rated it did not like it
Absolutely hated this book. Iacocca is self absorbed , I do not know why he chooses to give so much economic and political advice. Read this books only when I had absolutely nothing else to read. The only bits I found bearable were where he talked about his wife and daughters.
Itisme
Jan 24, 2016 Itisme added it
1989
Shaun Murphy
Oct 02, 2013 Shaun Murphy rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt one of the best reads I've had in a long time,Mr. Iacocca's legendary wit and well know personality really show itself in this book. His thoughts on various important topics and issues are both humourous and poignant,and really gives us an idea just why he was and still IS one of THE best leaders in the Automotive world. If you are interested in knowing more about the iconic man who saved Chrysler from the brink,and about his viewpoints and ideals,this is a must read!
Pradyot
Mar 19, 2015 Pradyot rated it it was amazing
One of the most influential books I read as a young adult. Iacocca's forth-right style is hard hitting and even though some of his predictions are, in retrospect, inaccurate - the reasons why he believed in his convictions are persuasive. In Talking Straight, he covered a gamut of topics from the US auto industry to politics and makes an engrossing read even today.
Andy G
Jul 08, 2012 Andy G added it
I really enjoyed this book even though it was from the 80's. I've always enjoyed reading about business success stories whether from today or yesterday. Lee really shines in this book with many key points not only from his business adventures, but from politics to family.
Scott
Jun 12, 2012 Scott rated it did not like it
I didn't read it for literary style, which is good because he writes like he doesn't need the money. (He doesn't!) Effective CEO's rarely make good writers, but I didn't know that when I was a wide-eyed 19 year old looking for wisdom. I honestly couldn't finish it.
Drew
Dec 09, 2008 Drew rated it liked it
Iacocca unleashes his political philosophy. Nothing earth shattering was revealed. He took the middle ground on a lot of issues. This book could have been a prepartory move towards running for president; however, Iacocca did not venture down that path.
Roy Huff
Jan 13, 2013 Roy Huff rated it liked it
This book was just okay. I probably liked it less because I had already read his first autobiography. I'm not completely sure why he did this book as it didn't really give any additional insights. Still, not a bad read just a little pointless.
Qomar
Apr 01, 2016 Qomar rated it really liked it
I read it long time ago when I just return from my first trip to Korea .. My first Iacocca's book and enjoyed to read the auto industry background in the US .. Since then, I have been collecting his works
Doug Cornelius
Dec 10, 2014 Doug Cornelius rated it liked it
Love him or hate him, he has been an incredibly successful business leader for decades.
Andrew
Apr 25, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Probably more relevant today than when it was published almost 30 years ago.
Roy Ekwee
Roy Ekwee marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Vaishali Zagade
Vaishali Zagade marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Santosh
Santosh marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Gary Fixler
Gary Fixler marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 17, 2016
Meghna Mehra Kadam
Meghna Mehra Kadam marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Rachit Sharma
Rachit Sharma marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
JRowe
JRowe marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Rasesh Saraiya
Rasesh Saraiya rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Vitor Guedes
Vitor Guedes marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Luis Edgar
Luis Edgar rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Ginny H.
Ginny H. rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
  • Made in Japan: Akio Morita and Sony
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • Megatrends 2000
  • The Americans 1 (Kent Family Chronicles, #8)
  • Trump-Style Negotiation: Powerful Strategies and Tactics for Mastering Every Deal
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Father, Son & Co.: My Life at IBM and Beyond
  • The Elephant and the Flea: Reflections of a Reluctant Capitalist
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • Conquering the Chaos: Win in India, Win Everywhere
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • Citizen Hughes: The Power, the Money and the Madness of the Man portrayed in the Movie THE AVIATOR
  • Soros on Soros: Staying Ahead of the Curve
  • Ten Deadly Marketing Sins: Signs and Solutions
  • The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness
  • My Years with General Motors
  • The Life of Buffalo Bill: Or, the Life and Adventures of William F. Cody, As Told by Himself