Autobiography of Charles G. Finney, The: The Life Story of America's Greatest EvangelistIn His Own Words

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Autobiography of Charles G. Finney A fascinating record of Finney's distinct impact on society and the timeless principles of the man recognized as America's most effective evangelist. Full description
Published May 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1876)

To ask other readers questions about Autobiography of Charles G. Finney, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autobiography of Charles G. Finney, The

Drew Martin
I read this mainly for the purpose of pleasing a friend and gathering discernment. There was much to cringe at and yet also much to apply. It's easy to lump people into categories but this was a challenge in my discernment between truth and lie. Finney's impact on the Church has been substantial making the read worth my time.
Paul
i have to give this book 5 stars because it runs on a "re-read" rotation. i am not sure how many times i have read the book - but i enjoy it each time and see it with both new eyes and the welcoming eyes of a familiar friend.

finney is the source (at least the greatest source) of the govermental theory of the atonement - pure trouble and bad theology through and through. yet, that has never detracted from my enjoyment and learning experienced in reading this auto-biography.

finney applied a lawye...more
Don Bryant
In my branch of Evangelicalism, Charles Finney comes close to being the devil. He is clearly semi-Pelagian. His conviction was that man was not so totally fallen that he had lost the ability to be recognize and choose the good. This spilled out into his views on the atonement. But I need to hear Finney speak for himself. He did consider himself an Edwardsean. And it is true that Edwards did have a more optimistic anthropology that allowed for a conversionism apart from the usual means of grace,...more
Allen
I found that many of the stereotypes concerning Finney are unwarranted. I found this abridged version to be a delightful testimony of a man greatly used by God. We do not have to agree with someone to learn from them. Many souls were brought into the Kingdom through Finney's obedience. This is that story.
Annie Kate
The evangelist must produce excitements sufficient to induce people to repentance.

Thus wrote the controversial Charles G. Finney, one of the most influential men in American church history. He is credited with developing a new method for evangelism and with over half a million ‘decisions for Christ’. On the other hand, some point out that the region he worked in has become a ‘spiritual wasteland’ and suggest that is because of the emotionalism and theology of his approach.

One way for our teens...more
Sonia Triplett
Universalism is the belief that all persons will ultimately receive salvation from God. Mr. Finney was against this. Unitarianism is the belief that God is one. Mr. Finney was against this. It appears that everyone from Illinois to Massachusetts were sinful backsliders until Mr. Finney brought his revival to them. They became agitated, cryed, swooned and fainted. Some who opposed him fell dead.
Anyhow, this book and the other book I'm reading on slave religion has me wondering exactly when was t...more
Eli
"I went here, I went there. I did this, I did that." That pretty much sums it up. Best to stay away from Finney. Reading John Bunyan's "Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners" is a million times more profitable.
Gwen Burrow
Finney was ridiculously influential, so everyone should read this. Self-centered, weepy stuff.
Joe
A good read about Church history and how we got to where we are today in the Church.
Pete Bartel
Condensed and edited by Helen Wessel. Good stuff.
Mark
Oct 06, 2012 Mark marked it as to-read
He was a soul winner.
Shewa Araya
Shewa Araya marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Luana Mazon
Luana Mazon marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Sadjeu Sidoine
Sadjeu Sidoine marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Todd Greene
Todd Greene marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Ahuaza Peter
Ahuaza Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Minne
Minne marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Calm
Calm marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Rexan Nadar
Rexan Nadar marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Ada Walladge
Ada Walladge marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Rakesh
Rakesh added it
Mar 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Charles Grandison Finney was a leader in the Second Great Awakening. He has been called The Father of Modern Revivalism. Finney was best known as an innovative revivalist, an opponent of Old School Presbyterian theology, an advocate of Christian perfectionism, a pioneer in social reforms in favor of women and blacks, a religious writer, and president at Oberlin College.

He is not to be mistaken for...more
More about Charles Grandison Finney...
Lectures on Revival Power From On High The Original Memoirs of Charles G. Finney Experiencing Revival Finney's Systematic Theology