Driftwood

Driftwood

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,979 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Hannah and Joey have been best friends for ever. Joey's parents love rescuing things and making them beautiful – their house is full of things made from driftwood, old glass and shells from the beach. Which is why the scraggy kittens the girls find in a bin at school end up living there. And when Paul moves in as Joey's foster brother, everyone thinks that maybe he needs r...more
Published October 24th 2005 by Puffin

Scarlett by Cathy CassidyIndigo Blue by Cathy CassidyGinger Snaps by Cathy CassidyDizzy by Cathy CassidyDriftwood by Cathy Cassidy
Best Cathy Cassidy Book
5th out of 17 books — 49 voters
The Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenJust Listen by Sarah DessenThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesLock and Key by Sarah DessenAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Best YA Chicklit
240th out of 473 books — 1,026 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara Calaby
This book centres around serious subjects such as bullying, depression and suicide, but remains entertaining despite this. Cassidy seems to have a real knack for creating likeable, real characters and pulling her reader into their lives.
Angela O'donnell
I was recommended this book by a 10 year old, and I was quite surprised that she would be reading a book with such a sad issue underlying it. Cathy Cassidy is clever in the way she presents the characters and at the same time she is writing about bullying and depression. I think this book could be useful for Upper Key Stage Two, to introduce the topic of bullying and the consequences and effect that bullying can have on children. Each character in this story has a unique personality and the read...more
Lily

I read this book when I was much, much younger. Nevertheless, it deserves a lot of kudos. Being a childrens' book, it's still well written and approaches a lot of mature themes such as homophobia, individuality, self-harming, bullying and relationships. It wasn't beyond it's years, and it will be something I will hope my young children will read in the future. It's not a cookie-cutter story and I was really impressed had the depths it went to whilst still maintaining appeal to a much younger tar...more
Emma
Cathy Cassidy has writen a few books wich I have read. Driftwood is about two friends and the problems they go through when one of them gets a new foster brother. There is many complications in this book and a secret revealed at the very end when you least expect it. This story also unravels itself as it goes along. This book would be good if you like the style of Cathy Cassidy's witing.
Hannah
Driftwood was a beautiful book full of drama, harsh reality and truth and I utterly adored every minute.

Driftwood is about a girl named Hannah (which was a bonus because thats my name) who goes to school with her best friend Joey. Hannah's brother, Kit, is head over heels for Joey and Joey is on a war with uniform and school rules. She's quirky and enjoys individuality. Although Joey enjoys demanding her head teacher around and being different, Joey is actually far different then just her looks....more
Cassidy Davies
Amazing I would really recommend this book to anyone and there is a lot of high school drama and Paul and Hannah should totally go out 'Pannah' lol anyways I give this book five stars and I feel bad about Paul because he is depressed and cuts and how people bully him i think he should of told the teacher in the first place or Jed or Eva.
Lydia
As a 13 year old when I read this book for the first time, I have to praise Cathy Cassidy.

Driftwood touches on the subjects of coming out as homosexual and the struggle for teenagers and what their peers will think, it brings up bullying and family and denial and needing people to be there for you and to bring you back from that dark place you find yourself in when you think you're alone.

And as a young person, Cassidy allows the reader to truly understand what's happening and helps them to reali...more
Gina
Just found these in a box and I'm re-reading them because even though they're for younger people I still love them!
Padfoot
Jun 26, 2014 Padfoot rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tweens or really anyone who likes a light read on serious issues
Cathy managed to shed some light on serious teenage issues with the help of beautiful little side stories and details, along with pretty damn cool, likable and characters you can relate to. It's a light weekend read for virtually anyone!
(Side note: this book was my guilty pleasure for quite a while, and I've re-read it three times already, just because I really like the characters and and the beautiful metaphoric connections about the driftwood and the beach)
(Side side note: never gonna stop re...more
Chloe
I picked this book up the year it was published when I was nine and I was sceptical at first, having not been interestd in the Jacqueline Wilson-y books (which was basically what I categorised all books aimed at younger girls when I was one of them) because there was no fantasy element but I had really enjoyed Cathy Cassidy's Dizzy and Indigo Blue so I gave it a try and I definitely did not regret it. Driftwood was and remains my favourite of all of Cathy Cassidy's books.
I wasn't a particularly...more
Abby
This is the first Cathy Cassidy book that I've read in a while, and when I started it, I'd thought that I had outgrown her, and I almost put it back down, but I convinced myself to carry on, for old times sakes.

I have to say though, I'm not sure I'm all too pleased with how this book made me feel. Even though it ended happily, it was kind of bittersweet, and kind of wrong in my eyes, because I know that most of the time it doesn't work out that way. So even though I would have been immensely ang...more
Maddison
Driftwood was a very good book. It just made my top five books I have ever read. It is a very touching story and it really digs deep to get you on the right side of any situation. The main purpose of writing the story that Cathy Cassidy wrote was that bullying is not okay. It is very bad and we need to try and stop it.

Hannah and Joey are two best friends who have never lied or kept secrets from each other, they hardly ever left each others side but when Joey's step parents foster a kid called...more
Fox
I was actually quite surprised of this book. It is much, MUCH more than friendship and love— there are quite dark themes in there. For older readers, you should know what I mean—(self-harm, homophobes, etc). Very beautifully and cleverly written. I give Cathy a lot of credit on this—it is much more of a good read. It's actually quite unlike her usual style, cause it contains those stuff, but as I said, very cleverly written to mask it. The part when Paul sat on the cliff holding the knife was gi...more
Sadhbh_potts
People being homophobic in this society is a big problem. Still is now in 2014. This book tells you how it feels to be homophobic bullied. I read this at a young age and loved it, I think parents should try to persuade their children to read this amazing book to bring the next generation up as people who fight for LGBT rights.

Truely loved this book.
Sofie
This book is such a great read, it shows the real horrible face behind bullying and how bullies single individuals out. It also shows the problems others go through to stand up to a bully. Really good read for teenagers and young adults.
Danielle
This isn't my favourite Cathy Cassidy book and I don't really know why. It, however, has many important issues that need to be tackled and for that, I can't help but commend her for making bullying known to the readers and its effects.
Kayla
Jul 20, 2014 Kayla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenagers
Recommended to Kayla by: My friend Irene
I enjoyed it though it was sad, i love the impact the kittens had on the book. ;P
Amie
Jul 19, 2014 Amie added it
Shelves: childrens
Book I read when I was a preteen
Gwyneth
I spent quite a long time to read this book.I think it's not as good as other Cathy Cassidy's books.I like the characters,though.Especially Hannah,she's a loyal friend but also lacks confidence.I think Paul should report to the teachers earlier because he's not the one who create problem!!!!Joey's cool, she's not afraid of breaking rules.I want to be like her...but I'd probably receive a black mark(ha ha)
Being different is a good thing!!!!or we'll be just like robots...

Ellie
I first read this book when I was about 9 and fell in love with it! I've re read it numerous times since and I still adore it. Returning to this book now that I'm older made me realise the first time I read this most of the plot must have gone right over my head, it covers some really quite dark issues that I just didn't notice at 9 years old. Still one of my favourites! As it is so short I read it as a bit of a pick me up every now and then. Really lovely little book.
Karina
Jan 30, 2013 Karina marked it as to-read
You have no idea how annoyed I was about the fact that this novel wasn't at the library, yet pretty much all other Cathy Cassidy novels were. I wanted to read this one so, so badly, I remember sitting in a book store and refusing to leave because I wanted to keep reading. Only ever read the first eight chapters or so, though :/ Childhood wish never fulfilled... xD
Georgia
Oct 14, 2009 Georgia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of miseraby books with fantastic stories
Shelves: the-best
FRST READ
interesting, a real page turner but hard to figure out.
SECOND READ
it was so long since i read this book i totally forgot what happens in it. when your reading it you think you know everything thats going on but it tunres out thier are so much more dark secrets in it that, quite frankly, are quite horrible. but it keeps you hooked.
Mar 28, 2011 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone:)
I really loved this book. It was so good in every way and it was just great! I really got into the characters, I thought Kit was a right ass at times, but I really liked Paul, Hannah, and Joey (especially Paul+Hannah!!)
I enjoyed this book ALOT and it was WAY better then I thought it would be!
Naomi McCord
Great book with a terrible ending. WHAT HAPPENED with Paul and Hannah?! I need to knoooooow!

But I really enjoyed this book, I devoured it in a matter of hours xD Pick this up and give it a read.

And thank you, mum, for getting me this book.
Lowenna
I really enjoyed this book... it had a few things in it that really made you think. Take the subtitle for instance - how far would you sail to save a friend? - It makes you think about who your friends are and how you would rank them. A good read.
Apoorva
This book was ok. I read this book because I was really bored and this book is an easy read. I also had read two other Cassidy books long time ago and I thought she is a good author, but this book is a book for younger kids.
▲ Rachel
It didn't really catch my eye in the first place, I was just looking for something to read. The detail and characters were good and well thought out, but the plot? What was it supposed to be? 3.5 stars from me.
Danielle Hefferman
This story is more about a foster boy, whom doesn't fit in. He feels like he don't belong and I can 100% relate to that. The love of Art is Driftwood and bin bags and what you can do with imagination and creativity.
  • My Sister Jodie
  • The One and Only (Luke and Eve, #3)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Classroom Chaos
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Forget Me Not (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #4)
  • Boy Overboard
  • Return to the Hundred Acre Wood
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
I was born in 1962 in Coventry (scarily ancient, I know). I wrote my first picture book for my little brother when I was eight or nine. I loved making comics, too - pages and pages of picture stories, features and competitions.

I went to Art College in Liverpool, then got a job as fiction editor on the fab and legendary Jackie magazine.

I have worked as agony aunt on Shout magazine and also as an ar...more
More about Cathy Cassidy...
Scarlett Dizzy Ginger Snaps Indigo Blue Lucky Star