Start by marking “Driftwood” as Want to Read:
Driftwood

Driftwood

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,535 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Hannah and Joey have been best friends for ever. Joey's parents love rescuing things and making them beautiful – their house is full of things made from driftwood, old glass and shells from the beach. Which is why the scraggy kittens the girls find in a bin at school end up living there. And when Paul moves in as Joey's foster brother, everyone thinks that maybe he needs r ...more
Published October 24th 2005 by Puffin (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Driftwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driftwood

Scarlett by Cathy CassidyIndigo Blue by Cathy CassidyGinger Snaps by Cathy CassidyDizzy by Cathy CassidyDriftwood by Cathy Cassidy
Best Cathy Cassidy Book
5th out of 23 books — 57 voters
The Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenJust Listen by Sarah DessenThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLock and Key by Sarah Dessen
Best YA Chicklit
247th out of 506 books — 1,089 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara Calaby
This book centres around serious subjects such as bullying, depression and suicide, but remains entertaining despite this. Cassidy seems to have a real knack for creating likeable, real characters and pulling her reader into their lives.
Chubbybunny05
More like 4.5
I definitely liked it.It was a little hard to get into it because I was in a mourning period after Percy Jackson.From an epic adventure to a real world story.Basically, this book is about a girl called Hannah who has a very wierd friend called Joey.Joey's foster brother,Paul Slater,joins their school and Joey asks Hannah's bro Kit to look out for him.That is all I can say without spoiling you.If you are being bullied or feeling sad feel free to share.I think everyone should read thi
Hannah
Driftwood was a beautiful book full of drama, harsh reality and truth and I utterly adored every minute.

Driftwood is about a girl named Hannah (which was a bonus because thats my name) who goes to school with her best friend Joey. Hannah's brother, Kit, is head over heels for Joey and Joey is on a war with uniform and school rules. She's quirky and enjoys individuality. Although Joey enjoys demanding her head teacher around and being different, Joey is actually far different then just her looks.
BluexAbyss
I've already read a lot of books at the time I did read this one. They all were boring, and I HAD to read them, because school. Ugh.
But this one. This is probably the first book at the time I read on my own will. I loved it and though I don't remember anything at all right now... I plan on re-reading it!
Angela O'donnell
I was recommended this book by a 10 year old, and I was quite surprised that she would be reading a book with such a sad issue underlying it. Cathy Cassidy is clever in the way she presents the characters and at the same time she is writing about bullying and depression. I think this book could be useful for Upper Key Stage Two, to introduce the topic of bullying and the consequences and effect that bullying can have on children. Each character in this story has a unique personality and the read ...more
Maisha Zahir
My rating is 3.5 to be exact.
This book contains an example of bullying and the effects it has on the person being bullied. It also describes the problems that trail along with it. Good story. :)
Lily

I read this book when I was much, much younger. Nevertheless, it deserves a lot of kudos. Being a childrens' book, it's still well written and approaches a lot of mature themes such as homophobia, individuality, self-harming, bullying and relationships. It wasn't beyond it's years, and it will be something I will hope my young children will read in the future. It's not a cookie-cutter story and I was really impressed had the depths it went to whilst still maintaining appeal to a much younger tar
Emma
Cathy Cassidy has writen a few books wich I have read. Driftwood is about two friends and the problems they go through when one of them gets a new foster brother. There is many complications in this book and a secret revealed at the very end when you least expect it. This story also unravels itself as it goes along. This book would be good if you like the style of Cathy Cassidy's witing.
Wolfelle
Nov 07, 2014 Wolfelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Wolfelle by: a younger friend
Cassidy Davies
Amazing I would really recommend this book to anyone and there is a lot of high school drama and Paul and Hannah should totally go out 'Pannah' lol anyways I give this book five stars and I feel bad about Paul because he is depressed and cuts and how people bully him i think he should of told the teacher in the first place or Jed or Eva.
Lydia
As a 13 year old when I read this book for the first time, I have to praise Cathy Cassidy.

Driftwood touches on the subjects of coming out as homosexual and the struggle for teenagers and what their peers will think, it brings up bullying and family and denial and needing people to be there for you and to bring you back from that dark place you find yourself in when you think you're alone.

And as a young person, Cassidy allows the reader to truly understand what's happening and helps them to reali
Gina
Just found these in a box and I'm re-reading them because even though they're for younger people I still love them!
Esther Nisbet
Feb 01, 2015 Esther Nisbet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Jacqueline Wilson
I received this books as a prize for a children's competition when I was about 11 - at the time I read it and enjoyed it, but didn't understand or consider the significance of some of the matters which it concerned. As an adult it addresses issues that many children face but don't comprehend entirely - it is beautifully written, and incredibly composed to contain pearls of wisdom and understanding that can penetrate into a child's mind and leave a lasting impression. It mixes relatable character ...more
Padfoot
Jun 26, 2014 Padfoot rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tweens or really anyone who likes a light read on serious issues
Cathy managed to shed some light on serious teenage issues with the help of beautiful little side stories and details, along with pretty damn cool, likable and characters you can relate to. It's a light weekend read for virtually anyone!
(Side note: this book was my guilty pleasure for quite a while, and I've re-read it three times already, just because I really like the characters and and the beautiful metaphoric connections about the driftwood and the beach)
(Side side note: never gonna stop re
Chloe
I picked this book up the year it was published when I was nine and I was sceptical at first, having not been interestd in the Jacqueline Wilson-y books (which was basically what I categorised all books aimed at younger girls when I was one of them) because there was no fantasy element but I had really enjoyed Cathy Cassidy's Dizzy and Indigo Blue so I gave it a try and I definitely did not regret it. Driftwood was and remains my favourite of all of Cathy Cassidy's books.
I wasn't a particularly
Abby
This is the first Cathy Cassidy book that I've read in a while, and when I started it, I'd thought that I had outgrown her, and I almost put it back down, but I convinced myself to carry on, for old times sakes.

I have to say though, I'm not sure I'm all too pleased with how this book made me feel. Even though it ended happily, it was kind of bittersweet, and kind of wrong in my eyes, because I know that most of the time it doesn't work out that way. So even though I would have been immensely ang
Apple12350
First of all, the cover is the one with a girl on it.

Okay, the book features a lot of realistic problems, like bullying, depression and self harm. It is harsh how it is what some people's lives are.

The plot is great, the characters, almost everything about it is interesting. I don't remember when I read it last time, perhaps a a year ago? But I knew that when I was reading it, I couldn't put the book down.
Chantelle Dreyer
I haven't read this book for a while, but I distinctly remember it being emotionally gripping. While I was younger at the time, I know that I struggled to put this book down once I started reading it, and I even remember curling up on the sofa facing away and blocking out the rest of the world to focus on this book. Entertaining and somewhat dramatic (if I remember correctly), this is a good book which is worth the read.
Fox
I was actually quite surprised of this book. It is much, MUCH more than friendship and love— there are quite dark themes in there. For older readers, you should know what I mean—(self-harm, homophobes, etc). Very beautifully and cleverly written. I give Cathy a lot of credit on this—it is much more of a good read. It's actually quite unlike her usual style, cause it contains those stuff, but as I said, very cleverly written to mask it. The part when Paul sat on the cliff holding the knife was gi ...more
Sadhbh_potts
People being homophobic in this society is a big problem. Still is now in 2014. This book tells you how it feels to be homophobic bullied. I read this at a young age and loved it, I think parents should try to persuade their children to read this amazing book to bring the next generation up as people who fight for LGBT rights.

Truely loved this book.
Lyndee
I loved Driftwood! The characters were so real and you get to know them so well through Cassidy's prose. I found this book addressed bullying especially well while remaining relatively lighthearted. I absolutely loved the ending to this book! Absolutely brilliant!
Coco Chanel
This is my favourite book by Cathy Cassidy without a doubt! I read it when I was in High School and I could read it again and again!
Nicole
Favourite book by the author, makes me feel nostalgic of my younger days just thinking about the book. This is one of those books I re-read and re-read.
Bonnie
love the message in this, has things on bullying and being who you want to be, very nice read
Kayla
Jul 20, 2014 Kayla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenagers
Recommended to Kayla by: My friend Irene
I enjoyed it though it was sad, i love the impact the kittens had on the book. ;P
Rhian
A decent read, and very light and refreshing.
Amie
Jul 19, 2014 Amie added it
Shelves: childrens
Book I read when I was a preteen
Gwyneth
I spent quite a long time to read this book.I think it's not as good as other Cathy Cassidy's books.I like the characters,though.Especially Hannah,she's a loyal friend but also lacks confidence.I think Paul should report to the teachers earlier because he's not the one who create problem!!!!Joey's cool, she's not afraid of breaking rules.I want to be like her...but I'd probably receive a black mark(ha ha)
Being different is a good thing!!!!or we'll be just like robots...

• The One and Only (Luke and Eve, #3)
  • My Sister Jodie
  • Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
  • The Baboons Who Went This Way and That
  • Cosmo and the Magic Sneeze
  • A Circus Wish (Magic Kitten, #6)
  • Boys for Beginners
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)
  • 32c That's Me
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Forget Me Not (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #4)
  • Me and Mr J
  • Return to the Hundred Acre Wood
I was born in 1962 in Coventry (scarily ancient, I know). I wrote my first picture book for my little brother when I was eight or nine. I loved making comics, too - pages and pages of picture stories, features and competitions.

I went to Art College in Liverpool, then got a job as fiction editor on the fab and legendary Jackie magazine.

I have worked as agony aunt on Shout magazine and also as an ar
More about Cathy Cassidy...
Scarlett Dizzy Ginger Snaps Indigo Blue Cherry Crush (The Chocolate Box Girls, #1)