Start by marking “The Boomer Bible” as Want to Read:
The Boomer Bible

The Boomer Bible

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In the beginning there was the Holy Bible
2 Which was a very good book indeed, but so many things happened since the beginning,
3 That Maybe it was time for another bible,
4 So a punk from Philadelphia wrote a new one,
5 And so it is called The Boomer Bible,
6 So there.
7 And Its Past Testament tells the history of the world, including the Book of Greeks, Book of Brits, Book of
Published January 10th 1991 by Workman Publishing Company

Adrian Rush
Jun 09, 2008 Adrian Rush rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor-satire, fiction
This book is a cautionary tale, a stinging indictment of a culture that's lost its way. But believe it or not, it's absolutely hilarious, as long as you aren't afraid to have your cherished beliefs held up to scorn and ridicule, and as long as you're open to learning a lesson from it. In short, if you can laugh at yourself and at what we've become as a society, you'll have a fantastic time reading this imposing book.

In chapter-and-verse form (complete with an intercolumn reference), Laird lays o
Marie
Aug 23, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing
I just finished this for the first time; I know there will be others.

The Facts: It's book which follows the stylistic format of a standard Christian bible in the form of books, chapters, verses, inter-column reference, standard prayers, functions of ministerial office and hymns. The subject is an examination of Baby Boomer ethos and pathos, with inevitable examination of what preceded and followed it. It's a long book, as many repeatedly state. I'm not sure why anyone thinks that's relevant, tho
Patrick Darnell
Dec 29, 2013 Patrick Darnell rated it it was amazing
The Wall Street Journal describes my next inseparable tote: "It's the kind of book that makes you laugh, makes you angry, makes you question, makes you cringe, makes you think and shout yes! in agreement. It's the kind of book that thoroughly defines its times."

Yes, it is certainly RF Laird's Boomer Bible, Workman Publishing New York. "He captures the conflict of the Boomer era -- growing up with the Ten Commandments, the Four Gospels, and the Golden Rule, and coming of age in the era of sex, dr
Larry Wright
Apr 25, 2011 Larry Wright rated it it was amazing
Somehow the author of a long, snooze-inducing list of military and political histories creates one of the greatest satires of American culture. 1 Part Jonathan Swift, 1 part Nathaniel West, 2 parts Douglas Adams and a dash of Stephen Jay Gould.
Gr8grendel
Feb 23, 2008 Gr8grendel rated it it was amazing
If at first you do not laugh, cross reference.
Nick Black
Dec 03, 2007 Nick Black rated it it was amazing
Desire. Certainty. Blame.
Charles Boyer
Jun 05, 2013 Charles Boyer rated it it was amazing
This book may seem sacrilegious on the cover, and in fact, it is written in the style of modern (non-Latin, non-Catholic) Bibles. It's not, particularly, however, instead, it is a collection of incredible observations about what many people of my generation actually believe. Mine, I suppose, and others too.

It has
The Past Testament contains a comprehensive view of science, history, philosophy, morality, and literature as understood by the Baby Boomers from pop culture and an ineffective educatio
Mike
Sep 09, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Deanne Hyde boilesen
Jun 02, 2014 Deanne Hyde boilesen rated it really liked it
Fun stuff, if you enjoy history and have a sense of humor. Well before Harry Potter, but there is a great deal of Hymns to a Harry.
Karen-Leigh
Aug 16, 2016 Karen-Leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
The first half of this book was wonderful, a touchstone for knowledge of history, pop culture, countries and people's idiosyncracies. Then it lost me. The second half was repetitive. Harry and his creed soon grew tiresome and I kept waiting for the writer to move on and was disappointed. Harry, frankly, bored me. There were nuggets of interest here and there but wading through the verbiage of message of drink, drugs, don't think was a hard slog to the end.
Georgia Lee
Apr 16, 2014 Georgia Lee rated it it was amazing
I first read this as a 17 year old, it still holds up and the humor is not lost on me.
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 30, 2011 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish, humour
In other reviews of this book, most of the reviewers found this book hilarious. I thought it very clever, but didn't read more than a tenth of it as I found that cleverness to be a sticking point. Perhaps the satire didn't please me because it's about the U.S. socio/political situation, and despite the old saying, "East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet," I have to say that there are many different forms of Western culture, and so the American West isn't necessarily how Wes ...more
Mark
Jul 29, 2007 Mark rated it liked it
Really funny in a few spots, but with little overall cohesion. The entire second half ("the gospels") were basically lost on me. However the first half ("the books") are quite irreverent and witty.

I only give it three stars, and that might be stretching it. My advice is read until it stops being funny, then hand it off. If you make it to the end, you are slightly warped and probably from Philadelphia (you'd have to read it to understand).
Cynthia
Sep 29, 2007 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those not easily offended
I think this one is going to be an ongoing read between others books (it's definitely a lot more enjoyable to pick up than the New Penguin History of the World). There was a Boomer Bible movement in my family when I was growing up, and I remember much discussion and laughter about the testaments. Now I see why.
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People actively courting hell.
Shelves: humor, reference
There's no review that could possibly do this book justice. Please, just look into it. I'm surprised this book hasn't started a war yet. I will say, though, that precious few books in my entire life have afforded me as many hours of side-splitting laughter and completely comical contempt.

NC
Leonard Pierce
Jul 07, 2008 Leonard Pierce rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
At the time this came out, it made a huge impression on me for its ambitious, wide-ranging, and usually understated humor. In later years, the conservative bias is a lot easier to see, and it goes on way, way too long. But the first third or so is still pretty great.
Drew Nevis
May 25, 2012 Drew Nevis marked it as to-read
My Godfather had this book on his humor shelf and I picked it up and was rofl when I read a few of the passages. He tells me that the book was written by an ad executive in the 90's.
Leah
Nov 02, 2007 Leah rated it really liked it
it takes dedication to satirize the history of the entire world, but someone needed to do it.

underneath the sarcastic humor, it's a little sad. SO IS LIFE, AMIRITE!!

Carolyn Johnson
May 15, 2009 Carolyn Johnson rated it it was amazing
Hilarious spoof, and when it first was published, I gave it to all my friends and relatives for Christmas. Such a wonderful commentary on modern life.
Morten K
Apr 11, 2007 Morten K rated it it was amazing
This one had a disturbingly big impact on my life when I read it way back when. For some, it's Lord of the Rings, I guess for me it was the Boomer Bible.
T.J.
Dec 11, 2010 T.J. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to T.J. by: Aigloblam
This book is a wonderful parody of the bible. It gives a humorous look at the beliefs and history as we recognize it
Gabriel Thy
Jan 28, 2008 Gabriel Thy rated it it was amazing
What a delicious romp. My jaws hurt after the first day I had laughed so hard so long and so what!
Micah
Jun 20, 2012 Micah rated it it was amazing
A hilarious book that pokes fun at religion, politics, history, and human stupidity.
Luke
Mar 29, 2007 Luke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fingerblasters
I learned not to mess with the Punks down on South Street.
Shanta Stevens
Oct 25, 2007 Shanta Stevens rated it really liked it
This is one of the most hilarious satires ever written!
Jenny
Sep 12, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Words cannot explain this book.
Janusz
Jan 29, 2008 Janusz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-my-collection
stupendous.
Andrew
Jan 19, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it
too long!!!!!!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Looking for weird, yet impressive and amazing books 1 2 Apr 03, 2016 06:45PM
  • An Intellectual History of Cannibalism
  • You are STILL Being Lied To: The NEW Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes, and Cultural Myths
  • The Political Writings of St. Augustine
  • The Senate Intelligence Committee Report on Torture: Committee Study of the Central Intelligence Agency's Detention and Interrogation Program
  • Evil Sisters: The Threat of Female Sexuality in Twentieth-Century Culture
  • The First 200 Years of Monty Python
  • Have a Nice Doomsday: Why Millions of Americans Are Looking Forward to the End of the World
  • Does God Hate Women?
  • Living Without God: New Directions for Atheists, Agnostics, Secularists, and the Undecided
  • LOLcat Bible: In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs n stuffs
  • The Dynamite Club: How a Bombing in Fin-de-Siècle Paris Ignited the Age of Modern Terror
  • Whoogles: Can a Dog Make a Woman Pregnant - And Hundreds of Other Searches That Make You Ask "Who Would Google That?"
  • Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach
  • Drunk with Blood: God's Killings in the Bible
  • Atheism: A Reader
  • The History of Torture (History Classics)
  • Monty Python Live!