Start by marking “Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 3

Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 3 (The Amazing Spider-Man #18)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Daily Bugle, New York's trashiest tabloid, has just hired the sleaziest, most muckraking, lowlife paparazzi of them all... PETER PARKER?! Say it ain't so, True Believer! Also, J. Jonah Jameson finds inner peace and harmony...(Hey, it could happen! Maybe.) All this and the first-ever livestreaming super-villain: Screwball! Plus: It's web-slinger vs. wall-crawler as we a...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Mike
Goofy - the silly Parkour was fine, but the panels of Robbie Robertson silently moralising at Peter is just sad. I know it's written like the old days, but at least write so it doesn't come off as stale or anachronistic.

And seriously - the villain Paper Doll's real name is Piper Dali? For real? That's just revoltingly bad.

Otherwise Slott's writing is pretty good - solid, funny dialogue when Slott's not trying to be clever with the puns, and a slightly interesting moral turnaround for Parker (fro...more
Adam Gent
Spider Man: Brand New Day Volume 3

The DB, New York's trashiest tabloid, has just hired the sleaziest, most muckraking, lowlife paparazzi of them all...PETER PARKER?! Plus: It's web-slinger vs. wall-crawler as we answer the question - who is The Other Spider-Man?

Written by Bob Gale
Written by Dan Slott
Pencils: Marcos Martin
Pencils: Mike McKone
Review by Adam Gent

This is my fourth ‘comic’ book I have read and the third in the Brand New Day series. Again, I have tried to keep the formatting of my rev...more
James
Some interesting stuff here as Peter Parker decides to finally use his powers to make some dough, taking up the new owner of the Daily Bugle on becoming a paparazzo. This sets up some nice conflict with his colleagues and friends, conflict that's unfortunately resolved too quickly--I think they could have committed a longer timeframe to Pete being a scumbag photographer. Maybe he could have even been pushed to get candids of his fellow heroes?

On the Spider-Man front, there's a weird story about...more
Karla
Magnifique! What had at first seemed to me another ho-hum, rock-em sock-em Super Hero comic has pulled me into the storyline by the third hardcover in this series.

Photo journalist Peter Parker's paper--the Daily Bugle--has been taken over by someone more interested in selling papers than doing the investigative (albeit sensationalistic) journalism beloved by the former owner, Jonah Jameson. Consequently, instead of taking photos of Spidey in action, Parker is assigned the paparazzi beat. Unfort...more
Brad
The writers play a dangerous game in bringing back Mary Jane and bringing up Spider-Man's bizarre decisions during Civil War. The still-toxic One More Day ruined both MJ and the CW, but Brand New Day continues to build a fun storyline above the past wreckage of Spidey's continuity.
The first story, Peter Parker: Paparazzi, is a very logical extension of Pete's photography career. The inclusion of MJ in the story is mostly organic and adds some pathos to go along with Spidey's concerns over his (r...more
DavidO
The dialog and art is fine, but the storyline needs some work. Peter Parker working as a paparazzi isn't believable as it defies his basic moral code. The last part about spider-man being the spider tracer killer is all right, but it requires that the officials doing autopsies are declaring something a murder even when someone dies of a heart attack. That is, it requires a lot of incompetence so that the "plot" works.
Eric
Well, I finished the first three volumes that make up the Brand New Day storyline and I can say it's better than I expected but not as good as it needs to be. Part of the problem is the rotating writers, while it works, some just write a different Spider-Man than the others. There were good stories throughout, I liked the blizzard story and any of the Dan Slott stuff is great. The villains, like Freak and Menace left me underwhelmed, as did Mr. Negative, though at least I see what he can become....more
Carles Muñoz Miralles
De momento, las siguientes entregas de este "nuevo día" no estan a la altura de la primera, y se está alargando demasiado lasvtramas de fondo.
Matt Chic
marcos martin's artwork is worth this alone. it's like a little romita sr. mixed with steve rude. i wish this guy was drawing spidey all the time... and the story's great too (another dan slott winner). two cool new villians: screwball's entertaining-- wouldn't mide having her around again. and paper doll's a cool idea i suppose. cameo by MJ too...

the second arc (2 issues worth) is another bob gale story, but it's way better than his previous one (in BND vol. 2).

overall this might be the best al...more
Bryson Kopf
Another great volume of the Brand New Day status quo for Spidey, with Peter flirting with becoming a high-paid paparazzi photographer. There is some fun with a new villain, Screwball, who live-streams her fights online to much acclaim. Paper Doll also made for a good foe in the second tale too, an odd stalker type who could go 2-D and flatten foes too. Not too much more to say, these tales were just fun! Also, Marcos Martin was born to draw Spidey, wow!
Ernest
An attempt to do something different here must be applauded. The artwork was very good, and no dialogue seemed forced. For all its technical success, the story still has to succeed and in that respect, I am unsure whether it worked. It certainly didn’t fail, but I am not sure I can currently say I liked it. Perhaps the best thing is to say that this was a worthy attempt to re-establish Spider-Man’s world post One More Day.
Shannon Appelcline
Slott's story isn't as strong as his earlier piece, and his writing seems to make it the most obvious that the comic is stuck in the '60s, but nonetheless his Paper Doll story is fun, has some good characters, and a very nice guest-star [6/10]. I was surprised that I liked the Bob Gale story more, given his general weakness in the previous volume. But, his story of betting had nice continuity and was fun [7/10].
Andy
The first story was interesting and the return of MJ an unexpected twist. I have no idea where they're going with her in this new continuity. Didn't care much for the second story though. Boring characters I didn't care about and a strange whimsical nature.
Quinton Baran
I thought that the art in this book wasn't as good as other recent books, although I did enjoy the stories (but even they weren't as good as some of the more recent stories). I did enjoy the new villain Screwball, even if she looks like she'll be a bit character.
Khairul H.
New stalker villain is decidedly creepy. Mary Jane arrives then leaves and gives clues that suggests maybe her memory wasn't wiped by Mephisto. Maybe this is the escape clause Marvel put it in case they want to retcon that One More Day nonsense?
Jeffrey
I was never a big SpiderMan fan, having always followed the X-Men. Still, an okay read, especially the story with Marcos Martin providing the art. His kinetic retro style is a fresh breath for post Todd McFarlane Spider-Man.
Umang
Not a bad book, divided into two stories which were very Spider-Man like - simple, funny and straightforward. Had the potential of making the first plot more interesting with the "twist" they had.
John
The idea that Peter would ever be lured by money to do something as awful as paparazzi work is actually revolting. Ruined the cute unseen interaction between he an MJ at the end.
Ian
The Paper Doll issues are great. Peter struggles with the morality of a high-paying job. Very well executed.
Jason
Cheating bookies never win!
Ed
Wankmongous.
Jd
Jd marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Athena Deck
Athena Deck is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Jeffery
Jeffery marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search for the Sorcerer Supreme
  • Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine
  • Wolverine: Origins Vol. 4: Our War
  • Captain America by Ed Brubaker, Vol. 2
The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 2: A Troubled Mind Arkham Asylum: Living Hell Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 1 She-Hulk, Vol. 1: Single Green Female