Start by marking “Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 3

Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 3 (The Amazing Spider-Man #18)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  534 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The Daily Bugle, New York's trashiest tabloid, has just hired the sleaziest, most muckraking, lowlife paparazzi of them all... PETER PARKER?! Say it ain't so, True Believer! Also, J. Jonah Jameson finds inner peace and harmony...(Hey, it could happen! Maybe.) All this and the first-ever livestreaming super-villain: Screwball! Plus: It's web-slinger vs. wall-crawler as we a ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Stephen
Aug 20, 2015 Stephen rated it liked it
description

This volume, of course, picks up where volume 2 ended. a familiar face will make an appearance in this volume 3. And it's someone Peter Paker knows very well (im sure at this point you know who it is). Again there are some new villians and time around i found that there were a bit more believable. It's a good read and the artwork is well done. If you're a Spider-man fan you will like this volume.

We open up with a criminal called Screwball, stealing one of spideys catchphrases. As part of an assa
Aaron
Peter agrees to take on papparazzi jobs for his new boss if it means more money in the bank, which doesn't sit well with his friends. Of course this leads to Spider-Man intervening between a famous actor and the obsessed Paper Doll, and Pete manages to find out who the actor is secretly dating: (view spoiler). Next, Spider-Man takes on the Bookie and the Enforcers, and then the vehicle-enhancing criminal Ov ...more
Noah Williams
Eh again just like the rest of the Brand New Day series it's just ok. Nothing fancy. MJ is back dating the super star, Peter is a paparazzi. And now living with a cop. There's some great set up for stories but that's about it. I did enjoy the art a lot, probably my favorite part of this series all together
Mike
Feb 12, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Goofy - the silly Parkour was fine, but the panels of Robbie Robertson silently moralising at Peter is just sad. I know it's written like the old days, but at least write so it doesn't come off as stale or anachronistic.

And seriously - the villain Paper Doll's real name is Piper Dali? For real? That's just revoltingly bad.

Otherwise Slott's writing is pretty good - solid, funny dialogue when Slott's not trying to be clever with the puns, and a slightly interesting moral turnaround for Parker (fro
Alli Brooks
Mar 05, 2015 Alli Brooks rated it liked it
This installment was very OKAY for me.

Paper Doll was super creepy and it was kind of cool seeing some... old characters... pop up, but overall I found this volume to be not as engaging as the previous two.
Adam Gent
May 11, 2014 Adam Gent rated it really liked it
Spider Man: Brand New Day Volume 3

The DB, New York's trashiest tabloid, has just hired the sleaziest, most muckraking, lowlife paparazzi of them all...PETER PARKER?! Plus: It's web-slinger vs. wall-crawler as we answer the question - who is The Other Spider-Man?

Written by Bob Gale
Written by Dan Slott
Pencils: Marcos Martin
Pencils: Mike McKone
Review by Adam Gent

This is my fourth ‘comic’ book I have read and the third in the Brand New Day series. Again, I have tried to keep the formatting of my rev
Matt Anderson
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #559-563

Here is my overall feeling of all of the "Brand New Day" material I've read so far: It is enjoyable, and I don't find myself getting bored with it, but these aren't the greatest stories I've ever read. They are fun, but just OK. I really like Dan Slott as a writer, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to read his early Spider-Man stuff. I also like the idea of the Spidey Braintrust (team of writers), and it seems like it was working well for them.

This c
James
Jan 05, 2014 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Some interesting stuff here as Peter Parker decides to finally use his powers to make some dough, taking up the new owner of the Daily Bugle on becoming a paparazzo. This sets up some nice conflict with his colleagues and friends, conflict that's unfortunately resolved too quickly--I think they could have committed a longer timeframe to Pete being a scumbag photographer. Maybe he could have even been pushed to get candids of his fellow heroes?

On the Spider-Man front, there's a weird story about
Karla
Jan 09, 2009 Karla rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, teens
Magnifique! What had at first seemed to me another ho-hum, rock-em sock-em Super Hero comic has pulled me into the storyline by the third hardcover in this series.

Photo journalist Peter Parker's paper--the Daily Bugle--has been taken over by someone more interested in selling papers than doing the investigative (albeit sensationalistic) journalism beloved by the former owner, Jonah Jameson. Consequently, instead of taking photos of Spidey in action, Parker is assigned the paparazzi beat. Unfort
Brad
Aug 31, 2009 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
The writers play a dangerous game in bringing back Mary Jane and bringing up Spider-Man's bizarre decisions during Civil War. The still-toxic One More Day ruined both MJ and the CW, but Brand New Day continues to build a fun storyline above the past wreckage of Spidey's continuity.
The first story, Peter Parker: Paparazzi, is a very logical extension of Pete's photography career. The inclusion of MJ in the story is mostly organic and adds some pathos to go along with Spidey's concerns over his (r
DavidO
Jul 16, 2014 DavidO rated it liked it
The dialog and art is fine, but the storyline needs some work. Peter Parker working as a paparazzi isn't believable as it defies his basic moral code. The last part about spider-man being the spider tracer killer is all right, but it requires that the officials doing autopsies are declaring something a murder even when someone dies of a heart attack. That is, it requires a lot of incompetence so that the "plot" works.
Eric Mikols
May 18, 2012 Eric Mikols rated it it was ok
Shelves: spider-man
Well, I finished the first three volumes that make up the Brand New Day storyline and I can say it's better than I expected but not as good as it needs to be. Part of the problem is the rotating writers, while it works, some just write a different Spider-Man than the others. There were good stories throughout, I liked the blizzard story and any of the Dan Slott stuff is great. The villains, like Freak and Menace left me underwhelmed, as did Mr. Negative, though at least I see what he can become. ...more
Carles Muñoz Miralles
De momento, las siguientes entregas de este "nuevo día" no estan a la altura de la primera, y se está alargando demasiado lasvtramas de fondo.
Matt Chic
Feb 20, 2009 Matt Chic rated it really liked it
marcos martin's artwork is worth this alone. it's like a little romita sr. mixed with steve rude. i wish this guy was drawing spidey all the time... and the story's great too (another dan slott winner). two cool new villians: screwball's entertaining-- wouldn't mide having her around again. and paper doll's a cool idea i suppose. cameo by MJ too...

the second arc (2 issues worth) is another bob gale story, but it's way better than his previous one (in BND vol. 2).

overall this might be the best al
Μιχάλης
Sep 07, 2015 Μιχάλης rated it liked it
OK, by now I really wonder why did they have to write off so many years of continuity just to churn out some (admitedly well written) stories that have been done to death, only with third rate new villains and Peter Parker being the loser of the year.

It is fun if you want some more Spider-man stories but...
Bryson Kopf
Oct 20, 2011 Bryson Kopf rated it really liked it
Another great volume of the Brand New Day status quo for Spidey, with Peter flirting with becoming a high-paid paparazzi photographer. There is some fun with a new villain, Screwball, who live-streams her fights online to much acclaim. Paper Doll also made for a good foe in the second tale too, an odd stalker type who could go 2-D and flatten foes too. Not too much more to say, these tales were just fun! Also, Marcos Martin was born to draw Spidey, wow!
Ernest
Aug 09, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it
An attempt to do something different here must be applauded. The artwork was very good, and no dialogue seemed forced. For all its technical success, the story still has to succeed and in that respect, I am unsure whether it worked. It certainly didn’t fail, but I am not sure I can currently say I liked it. Perhaps the best thing is to say that this was a worthy attempt to re-establish Spider-Man’s world post One More Day.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 15, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Slott's story isn't as strong as his earlier piece, and his writing seems to make it the most obvious that the comic is stuck in the '60s, but nonetheless his Paper Doll story is fun, has some good characters, and a very nice guest-star [6/10]. I was surprised that I liked the Bob Gale story more, given his general weakness in the previous volume. But, his story of betting had nice continuity and was fun [7/10].
Stolt-man
May 19, 2015 Stolt-man rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good volume of Spider-Man except for the fact that Paper Doll is a terrible villain(and Screwball isn't much better).
Andy
Mar 25, 2009 Andy rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, spider-man
The first story was interesting and the return of MJ an unexpected twist. I have no idea where they're going with her in this new continuity. Didn't care much for the second story though. Boring characters I didn't care about and a strange whimsical nature.
Quinton Baran
I thought that the art in this book wasn't as good as other recent books, although I did enjoy the stories (but even they weren't as good as some of the more recent stories). I did enjoy the new villain Screwball, even if she looks like she'll be a bit character.
Khairul H.
Oct 07, 2008 Khairul H. rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
New stalker villain is decidedly creepy. Mary Jane arrives then leaves and gives clues that suggests maybe her memory wasn't wiped by Mephisto. Maybe this is the escape clause Marvel put it in case they want to retcon that One More Day nonsense?
Jacob
Nov 09, 2015 Jacob rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wait... does MJ remember being married to Peter? Certainly seemed like she knew something more than I thought she did. And why is she dating that guy?
Anyways other than that it was decent, not much new happening, but still interesting
Jeffrey
Jul 30, 2009 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I was never a big SpiderMan fan, having always followed the X-Men. Still, an okay read, especially the story with Marcos Martin providing the art. His kinetic retro style is a fresh breath for post Todd McFarlane Spider-Man.
Umang
Mar 20, 2011 Umang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book, divided into two stories which were very Spider-Man like - simple, funny and straightforward. Had the potential of making the first plot more interesting with the "twist" they had.
John
May 07, 2012 John rated it it was ok
The idea that Peter would ever be lured by money to do something as awful as paparazzi work is actually revolting. Ruined the cute unseen interaction between he an MJ at the end.
Ian
Oct 20, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it
The Paper Doll issues are great. Peter struggles with the morality of a high-paying job. Very well executed.
Jason
Feb 21, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
Cheating bookies never win!
Ed
Jun 30, 2012 Ed rated it did not like it
Wankmongous.
Max Power
Max Power rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
  • Spider-Man: American Son
  • Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 4 - Juggernaut
  • Spider-Man: One Moment in Time
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search for the Sorcerer Supreme
  • Iron Man director of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Haunted (Iron Man Director of SHIELD, #2)
  • Spider-Man: One More Day
  • Wolverine: Origins Vol. 4: Our War

The Amazing Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home