Start by marking “City Behind Fence: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1942-1946” as Want to Read:
City Behind Fence: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1942-1946

City Behind Fence: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1942-1946

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, was created by the U.S. government during World War II to aid in the construction of the first atomic bomb. Drawing on oral history and previously classified material, this book portrays the patterns of daily life in this unique setting.
Published March 27th 1981 by Univ Tennessee Press (first published March 1981)

To ask other readers questions about City Behind Fence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Behind Fence

Three by Tennessee by Tennessee WilliamsThe Samaritan's Pistol by Eric BishopResurrecting Lazarus, Texas by Nathan BarberA Religious Orgy in Tennessee by H.L. MenckenNotes on the State of Virginia by Thomas Jefferson
Name of State (USA): T-W
14th out of 109 books — 20 voters
The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinSad Cypress by Agatha ChristieThe Wind In The Willows by Kenneth GrahameSnow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonA Palm for Mrs Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman
If You Were A Tree --
113th out of 154 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Eli
Sep 15, 2013 Eli rated it it was amazing
As someone who grew up in Oak Ridge, I was amazed at how much I didn't know about the place. The pictures were great additions and I liked the way the book was broken up into sections. Some parts were more interesting than others, but I think that was just my personal preference. The personal stories at the end were a nice touch too.
Tommy
Feb 01, 2015 Tommy rated it really liked it
And while star ratings don't do a lot for me, I wish there were a 3.5 in there. The writing in this was excellent...it flowed beautifully, and read quickly. I realized, though, as I was about 2/3 of the way through, it was simply giving me, in many sections, huge quantities of numbers in literary form.

I also wish there were more interviews with people who'd lived there, beyond the six that come almost as an addendum. That was my favorite section of the book. The logistics of creating a town from
Tami Traylor
Sep 07, 2011 Tami Traylor rated it liked it
This was a rather dry, academic account of what has the makings of an incredible story about a little-known chapter of American history.

As part of the Manhattan Project, Oak Ridge was a city veiled in mystery. It sprung up out of the Tennessee soil as swiftly as the government agents divested the indigenous farmers of their land. It stretched for miles, cradled in the valley of a natural fortress of mountains.

It boasted, in it's heyday, the highest concentration of PhDs in the world and a scho
Sara
Mar 06, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
While very interesting this book was extremely dry. Mainly just statistics about population, construction and labor, with a few anecdotal stories from interviews with residents who lived on the reservation and displaced people for the surrounding area. My Grandmother actually lived there for awhile during war-time, so it was kind of fun to learn about the place.
Carol
Jan 10, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, nonfiction
An interesting account of how the "reservation" of Oak Ridge TN came into being during WWII so that the Army had production facilities for uranium and plutonium. The book emphasizes the sociological aspects rather than the scientific and examines how the Army attempted, some times more successfully than others, to create a "normal town" in the middle of a classified military operation.
Feb 05, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful psycho-social study of a community hidden from the rest of the world for a time.
Karen
Feb 17, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
Learned some things I didn't know about my hometown.
Abigail Hodge
Abigail Hodge is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2016
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2016
Luke Johns
Luke Johns marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Fangzhao An
Fangzhao An rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2016
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Elizabeth Ibbotson
Elizabeth Ibbotson rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Brandy Wood
Brandy Wood marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Anna Mcgill
Anna Mcgill rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2016
Beth Richards
Beth Richards rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Dennis Madler
Dennis Madler is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Kim Calland
Kim Calland marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Tom Beehan
Tom Beehan is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015