Start by marking “City Behind Fence: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1942-1946” as Want to Read:
City Behind Fence: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1942-1946

City Behind Fence: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1942-1946

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, was created by the U.S. government during World War II to aid in the construction of the first atomic bomb. Drawing on oral history and previously classified material, this book portrays the patterns of daily life in this unique setting.
Published March 27th 1981 by Univ Tennessee Press (first published March 1981)

To ask other readers questions about City Behind Fence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Behind Fence

Three by Tennessee by Tennessee WilliamsThe Samaritan's Pistol by Eric BishopResurrecting Lazarus, Texas by Nathan BarberA Religious Orgy in Tennessee by H.L. MenckenNotes on the State of Virginia by Thomas Jefferson
Name of State (USA): T-W
12th out of 109 books — 19 voters
Cold Mountain by Charles FrazierChristy by Catherine MarshallProdigal Summer by Barbara KingsolverShe Walks These Hills by Sharyn McCrumbFair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith
Best Books Set in Appalachia
382nd out of 387 books — 574 voters

More lists with this book...

Tommy
And while star ratings don't do a lot for me, I wish there were a 3.5 in there. The writing in this was excellent...it flowed beautifully, and read quickly. I realized, though, as I was about 2/3 of the way through, it was simply giving me, in many sections, huge quantities of numbers in literary form.

I also wish there were more interviews with people who'd lived there, beyond the six that come almost as an addendum. That was my favorite section of the book. The logistics of creating a town from
Eli
As someone who grew up in Oak Ridge, I was amazed at how much I didn't know about the place. The pictures were great additions and I liked the way the book was broken up into sections. Some parts were more interesting than others, but I think that was just my personal preference. The personal stories at the end were a nice touch too.
Tami Traylor
This was a rather dry, academic account of what has the makings of an incredible story about a little-known chapter of American history.

As part of the Manhattan Project, Oak Ridge was a city veiled in mystery. It sprung up out of the Tennessee soil as swiftly as the government agents divested the indigenous farmers of their land. It stretched for miles, cradled in the valley of a natural fortress of mountains.

It boasted, in it's heyday, the highest concentration of PhDs in the world and a scho
Carol
An interesting account of how the "reservation" of Oak Ridge TN came into being during WWII so that the Army had production facilities for uranium and plutonium. The book emphasizes the sociological aspects rather than the scientific and examines how the Army attempted, some times more successfully than others, to create a "normal town" in the middle of a classified military operation.
Sara
While very interesting this book was extremely dry. Mainly just statistics about population, construction and labor, with a few anecdotal stories from interviews with residents who lived on the reservation and displaced people for the surrounding area. My Grandmother actually lived there for awhile during war-time, so it was kind of fun to learn about the place.
This book is a wonderful psycho-social study of a community hidden from the rest of the world for a time.
Karen
Learned some things I didn't know about my hometown.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Jon Fine
Jon Fine marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Faith Chaney
Faith Chaney marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Angie Lousteau
Angie Lousteau marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Fangzhao An
Fangzhao An is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 04, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jessica Anderson
Jessica Anderson marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Rebecca Jordan
Rebecca Jordan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Val Delane
Val Delane marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Dan Schindel
Dan Schindel marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Son of Man The Nature of Vermont: Introduction and Guide to a New England Environment Bogs of the Northeast Ice Ship: The Epic Voyages of the Polar Adventurer Fram The Vermont Life Guide to Fall Foliage