Start by marking “In a Blue Velvet Dress” as Want to Read:
In a Blue Velvet Dress

In a Blue Velvet Dress

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Jane, a compulsive reader, feels that she is going quite crazy in an apparently bookless seaside town. Then a mysterious person begins to leave books in her room. Jane eventually discovers that her benefactor is a silent girl in an old-fashioned blue velvet dress.
Published January 28th 1973 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about In a Blue Velvet Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Blue Velvet Dress

A Stitch In Time by Penelope LivelyThursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildWhen Marnie Was There by Joan G. RobinsonMarianne Dreams by Catherine StorrFather's Arcane Daughter by E.L. Konigsburg
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
36th out of 320 books — 54 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart HymanThe Emperor's New Clothes by Virginia Lee BurtonFox in Socks by Dr. SeussThe 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins by Dr. Seuss
Inside Your Wardrobe
158th out of 205 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Mar 05, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: second-childhood
Anybody who has had the misfortune of making an extended visit somewhere where there are no books and consequently starving for something to read will surely respond to the premise of this enchanting book. 11-year-old Jane, extreme bookworm, is in exactly that situation. While her parents go on a sailing holiday to Scotland, Jane has to leave her Belfast home to make a visit to an elderly couple, friends of the family, in a town by the Irish Sea. With admirable foresight, as her hosts are kindly ...more
HLP, Smeller and Devourer of Print
A very good little middle grade novel with a bookish heroine. She takes a trip to stay with relatives and discovers that every night, someone mysteriously has left books for her, as she had left hers behind at home. I was able to read this through Open Library. It's wonderfully written, full of book titles and mysteries, which I will not give away. Did I mention I adore the cover?

A short little story on a chilly December morning. Very enjoyable.
Deborah Markus
Apr 24, 2012 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lent this book to a friend of mine -- well, to her daughter, but of course my friend read it as well. The main character of this novel is a reading fiend who likes to draw up mental lists of her favorite books. My friend was amazed at how many of these books she'd never even heard of, let alone read.

Quite aside from being an excellent source of titles to look out for, this is a terrific story, alternately funny and touching.
Kaija
Nov 24, 2012 Kaija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
When I was about ten years old, I got it into my head to organize my bookshelves and make them into a "library". I thought it would be a wonderful idea to set up a system of marking my books so that my brother, my friends, and my parents could borrow them and I could feel very important as I kept careful records of who had taken what out, and when. In a Blue Velvet Dress was one of the few books whose inside cover was awarded a sticker reading "Speciul permishun book"––meaning that I had to pe ...more
Ann aka Iftcan
Cute story set in the early 70's. Back before we had computers, Ipads, I-phones and all the rest of the things we clutter our life with. With a ghost from the turn of the LAST (i.e. 20th) century, we have some minor history thrown in as well. Set in a tiny village in England.
Deb
Mar 16, 2014 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable book about a little girl marooned on 'holiday' in an old house in an Irish seaside town without books....
Domino
May 22, 2008 Domino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg. i don't even know what to say, its so good.
Nancy
Feb 12, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I chanced upon a battered copy of this in donations. A wonderful story. I could really relate. Imagine a vacation with NO books. Horrifying. A good ghost story, reminded me of Ruth M Arthur's books. I want to read the books that were left on Jane's bedside table.
Ellie
Jan 19, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks2
One of my favourite books from childhood. I used to have my local library's copy out so often I didn't realise until fairly recently that I don't actually have my own copy. Well, I do now, obviously. Possibly the sweetest ghost story ever written.
Natalie
Apr 21, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was enchanted by this book as a young reader and read it several times.
SarahBeth
Jan 20, 2014 SarahBeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, ghost
Delightful, quick read. I would have loved this book as a child.
Hannah
Oct 28, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was a wonderful read! the author somehow made the whole thing descriptive without being descriptive.the personalty of each person jumped out and made me feel as if I was there with them.I have re-read this book 5 times and it's never gotten old.even though I don't like many gost stories this is one I will read
Olivia
Jun 27, 2009 Olivia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes boring ghosties.
Shelves: fiction
Extremely dissapointing. The blurb made it sound quite good but when I got about 20 pages into it, SNORE! SNORE! SNORE! Almost fell asleep reading it! Didn't tell much about what was happening and the whole atmosphere of the story was just plain boring! Didn't like the main character either but oh well...
Sallie
Aug 12, 2009 Sallie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is one of the books I bought from Julie Chuba many months ago and just finally read. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it rates 4 stars, maybe 3 1/2. I decided after finishing WICKED, I needed something short and lighter to read.
Wendy
Jun 13, 2009 Wendy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I seldom do this, but I bought this book at a library book sale just because the description sounded good. Read it above, and I'm sure you'll agree.
Holly
Great old-fashioned ghost story. A girl, trapped in a house with no books to read? That totally freaked me out. :^)
Magda
Jul 30, 2009 Magda rated it liked it
Reminiscent of several other children's books, maybe not so great for adults in its simplicity.
Kara
Dec 02, 2009 Kara rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - bookworm heroine. haunted painting.
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Lolly
Lolly marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Sara
Sara added it
Jan 09, 2016
DelaneyB
DelaneyB marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Melee
Melee marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Historietime
Historietime marked it as to-read
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Gabriella Alaniz
Gabriella Alaniz marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »