The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who..., #17)

The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  3,406 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese sleuths, Koko and Yum Yum, investigate the disappearance of a wealthy railroad buff--and alleged multimillion-dollar embezzler--a case that becomes complicated by red herrings, a tragic train wreck, and murder at a railroad tavern.
Published March 1st 1996 by Jove (first published January 1st 1994)

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder is Binding by Lorna Barrett
Best Cozy Mystery Series
110th out of 899 books — 886 voters
Kris by Patrick O'ScheenThe See-Through Leopard by Sibel HodgeSam, the Superkitty by Marion LovatoInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Fiction Cat Books
34th out of 137 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Pattyrflg
We read some of The Cat Who... books for our book group. Each member chose a different book and then gave a quick synopsis without giving away the mysterious killer. Here is my synopsis in poem form. I know I'm not a poet, but thought I'd do something different.

Jim Qwilleran and two Siamese cats live in an octagonal barn
Koko the cat is smarter than anything you or I could learn

Floyd Trevelyan owns a credit union but launches his party train instead
Then disappears and could he be dead

A cheapskate...more
Jay
I picked up "The Cat Who Blew the Whistle" on tape to listen to on a long drive. What a mistake! Without exaggeration, this was one of the worst things I've ever read (or listened to). It made an already long car trip interminable. I wish I could give this book zero-stars because a one-star "did not like it" rating just doesn't do this book justice.

So why was it so bad?

First off, it was unbelevablly boring. The first two or three chapters are basically pointless. Charavters were introduced, the...more
Sue
Qwill and the cats are back in their apple barn house in Pickax. Qwill and Polly attend a fundraising event which is a ride on a renovated train with a steam locomotive. It is a wonderful event. The day after the event, the man behind the event, Floyd Trevelyan, has disappeared with thousands of dollars from investors; his secretary is also missing. The investigation points its fingers at Floyd. Ko-ko, on the other hand, tries to make Qwill realize that their focus should be elsewhere.
Didn't e...more
Jack
¡Ay, qué pesado! Great characters, plot, story line, writing, ... potentially a very interesting book, but the cats? I LOVE cats, but they are a distraction throughout this potentially great read. Then again, this whole series of books has the cats as the central theme, so I clearly am unclear on the concept. Someone please explain this to me - thanks!
Raymond
I have had siamese cats and can relate to their characteristics detailed in this book, but I did not really enjoy the story (did not find that the cause of the power outage was ever explained, etc.)! Seems that there were many dangling story threads that were not unraveled! This series is something my wife seems to enjoy?
Jessiqa
SPOILERS!!

I haven't read any Cat Who… mysteries in about a decade. I used to really enjoy these cozy mysteries with the uncanny Siamese and the mustachioed newspaper columnist. Qwilleran lives in Moose County (about 500 miles north of everywhere) with his two cats, the inheritor of an obscene amount of money he doesn't really want.

In this book, a train enthusiast has bought an old steam engine and refitted it for parties and receptions, etc. It's first journey is for charity and later that day...more
Caroline
These are charming and fun mysteries. I went through a binge of everything in the series when I was younger, but haven't touched them since. I remember really enjoying them, though, and both liking the main character and the twists to the stories.
Elizabeth Martel
Mystery isn't my usual genre...but I have two siamese cats, so I couldn't resist....

...but I didn't like the characters ...didn't like the cats....didn't like the plot....loved the main character's house
Joyce
Listened to this on my long commutes to and from work. Very cozy, indeed!

Publishers Weekly ReviewBest of series, this 17th The Cat Who caper slyly creeps up on the reader. The newest delight in Moose County, ``400 miles north of everywhere,'' is a railroad buff's refurbished locomotive, which is making its debut run. Floyd Trevelyan, the train owner, disappears just as the state closes down the credit union associated with his business. While others believe the man has decamped with investors'...more
Jim Qwilleran’s life is humdrumming along. His fiancé-of-sorts, Polly, is building a new house not far from the barn where he lives (it’s a refinished barn with special balconies for Koko and Yum Yum, his two Siamese cats, to play on), and he is helping to oversee the work.

As a journalist, he’s always on the lookout for a new story. So, when he gets wind that millionaire Floyd Trevelyan has restored a historic steam locomotive and is hosting a fundraising excursion for paying passengers, Qwill g...more
Dorothy
Koko and Yum Yum, the mystery-solving Siamese (well, Koko is anyway) are featured in this 18th in The Cat Who... series. There have been many other entries in the series since then and it has many devoted fans. I don't really count myself among them, although I have read a few of the books over the years. This book, however, was the August selection of my local Mystery Book Club and so I applied myself to reading it.

It was a quick read, very light in tone, nothing to tax the brain. Jim Qwilleran...more
chrisa
So I kind of enjoyed The Cat Who Blew the Whistle, the 17th book in The Cat Who series, but I had several problems with the book starting with the fact that I was a little surprised at how much of the action took place off screen, so to speak. For the most part Qwill was content to read the paper to find out about the events taking place or to listen to the radio or any gossip he came across as well as listening to his personal spy Celia rather than doing any genuine sleuthing of his own. I espe...more
Kirsti
Jan 04, 2012 Kirsti rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
Koko's on the case again, obsessed with Pens and Lions. He yows when he hears the name 'Hermia', but for what reason? It's up to Qwill to put together the clues and find out what causes Koko to stare out the window at Polly's developing house, and why he doesn't like her new builder. Bring it all together with talk of trains and times long gone, and you've got yourself a mystery!

This is another of my favorites, because of Celia Robinson. She is one of my favorite characters, if only for her laug...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: An old-fashioned steam train ride for charity goes bad when it’s discovered that the organizer not only absconded with the funds but also with everything that had been in his bank, along with his gorgeous secretary. This 17th in the series is a comfortable cosy, and rather entertaining.

Quite convoluted but well-managed plot (albeit far too much woowoo and coincidence for my taste), with lots of “weird local residents” and social stratification 400 Miles from Nowhere. Polly plays a l...more
Samantha
Lorraine
Lynne Tull
What can I say differently after reading 16 other books in this series? Qwill, Koko and Celia Robinson are investigating the disappearance of the the owner of a credit union and Engine No. 9. He disappeared as has one of his employees when the auditors closed the credit union to investigate misappropriation of funds. Polly is completely distracted while she is building a house. It is almost predictable. Ms. Braun again kills off a few sympathetic characters. It is disconcerting and I am wonderin...more
Marti
Once again Koko saves the day. While this series is quite formulaic, it's all in good fun and a great "wind down" book to counter a stressful week.
Melody Philbrick
Love this series and reader. I hope Overdrive gets rights to more in the series than the current six or eight.
Carolyn
Braun's books are always the lightest of light guilty pleasures and this one is no exception. Peopled with interesting characters: a credit union executive obsessed with model trains, two women of mystery, Qwilleran's long-time lady friend Polly, and others from the town of Pickaxe that have appeared in previous mysteries. His friend Celia moves to Pickaxe from down below and acts as his spy. Of course, Koko had it all figured out long before any of the human actors. Light, funny, and sweet. An...more
Heather
Mara
First book that I read from the series. I personally do like the break from my usual materials since this is a light-heated who-done-it type of book. It gave me a few unexpected chuckles.
Carolyn
Whenever I read another Cat Who book it is like reconnecting with old friends.
Gill
Oct 25, 2009 Gill rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Siamese cat lovers, steam train enthusiasts
Shelves: catwho, cats
An enjoyable light read with the usual mix of characters and detection, although each story stands quite well alone. A good read for steam train enthusiasts, The clever ploy of putting the first chapter of the next book at the end of the story is designed to hook the reader into the very large series. I resist the temptation to read them in order and just mooch odd titles that appeal to me. This one came as an extra from a Venezualan bookmoocher.
Marissa
Engine No. 9 is brought back to the rails after being restored. However, its owner mysteriously disappears... along with millions of dollars from the bank he ran for the community. Qwill and Koko have train wrecks, the owner's wife with a rare illness that can only be cured in Switzerland, and the train owner's writer-wannabe daughter to help sort out the mystery. Another fun, enjoyable addition to the Cat Who series.
George
Jun 28, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Another Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum, mystery. Set in Moose County, this time Qwilleran is involved in resolving the mystery behind the collaspe of a county financial institution, the disappearance of the owner, and other related items. As usual, it is through the actions of Koko, that Qwilleran is able to solve the various interrelated mysteries.

A light, quick reading mystery with some humor.
Marti
This is a series which I always love to read. Some of the characters may be a little on the corny side, but the plots are interesting, and there is always some new problem to solve. I have to admit that I find Polly Duncan somewhat stuffy, but then it is always hard to see what one person finds appealing in another. The cats are great--more fascinating than some of their human counterparts. Bravo, Lillian!
Plantgrrl
There Lillian goes again ham fisting clues in that the supposedly hyper intelligent cat has dropped. Lillian's research fascination of the book this time is steam engines, so expect lots of information about that in this one. As usual, emotions and logic seem to not be well conveyed. Still, it's probably one of the better books from the middle of the series.
Betty
I enjoy the easy read of Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat series. This book was good. This series would be appropriate for kids who like mystery books.
Debbi
This series is just delightful. If you need a quiet corner, a cup of java, and a good read, choose any one from this series. I will say that this book is starting to show a loss of endearing characters so prevalent in its predecesors. This is sad to see. I hope she gets back to the warm, endearing characters. Even Qwilleran has lost his flavor.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Blew The Whistle #18 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 10:06PM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Cat on the Scent
  • Cat on a Blue Monday (Midnight Louie, #3)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who..., #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who..., #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)