Start by marking “Love And The Platypus” as Want to Read:
Love And The Platypus

Love And The Platypus

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In 1883 young British naturalist William Caldwell arrives in Australia with a mission: to determine for the scientific record whether the platypus really does lay eggs. But first he must travel overland to the Burnett River in Queensland, where he intends to set up camp. Once there, William starts his investigations and encounters the local Aboriginal people, enlisting the ...more
Published by Scribe Publications (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Love And The Platypus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love And The Platypus

A Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughIn a Sunburned Country by Bill BrysonPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan LindsayOn the Beach by Nevil Shute
Books Set in Australia
142nd out of 540 books — 155 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Case of the Wayward Fae ~ A Chronicle of Mister Marmee by H.L.  StephensLife of Pi by Yann MartelTiger's Quest by Colleen HouckA Color of His Own by Leo Lionni
Books with Exotic Animals on the Cover
8th out of 68 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Russell
Mar 12, 2014 Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased to find this on the library shelf, partly because I enjoyed Guide to the birds of East Africa, but mainly because it was another Humphrey Bower narration! I find I'm now choosing audiobooks by narrator rather than author, title or genre. Bower brings this book to life - I think it would be far less enjoyable to read without the Scottish brogue of Caldwell, the Irish police sergeant, the harsh outback accents of the drovers, and the affected voices of the English academics.

I enjoyed
Alex Rogers
Jan 21, 2016 Alex Rogers rated it really liked it
I really liked this for its subject matter (English naturalist early 19th century comes to Aus to investigate platypus), its gentle pace & humour, and the very clear picture it drew of early Australia. It IS a romance and as such was quite tame and a little predictable - but a good story, very enjoyable.
Jocelyn
Apr 03, 2014 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
I often find it hard to choose between 'liked it' and 'really liked it', and this is one of those times. I didn't realise the hero was based on a historical character until I'd finished.
Margo
Feb 27, 2014 Margo rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it, but with a couple of reservations. I thought the description of the young, clever but naive scientist was very convincing. The search for absolute proof that the platypus laid eggs was well described. The ending felt very contrived.
Heather Browning
Feb 10, 2015 Heather Browning rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, life
This was really cute, nice subtle use of humour. I liked the Australian setting, and Caldwell is perfectly depicted as a bumbling scientist trying to make his way in the world. I was constantly sad at the death of the platypus specimens he was analysing, even though I understand how important it was for the science at the time. The ending was unexpectedly hard-core, and jarred a bit for it, but sweet at the same time.
Jenny
May 03, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. Probably helps to be familiar with Australian history and the bush, but a great story anyway.
Lee Belbin
Nov 30, 2014 Lee Belbin rated it it was ok
Not a bad yarn.
Bronwyn Hegarty
Aug 26, 2015 Bronwyn Hegarty rated it liked it
Interesting and enjoyable love story with lots of nature.
Jeanette
May 08, 2013 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fiction
Despite the slow start and almost idyllic pace, I enjoyed this book which combines fascinating naturalist vignettes of the Australian bush, Queensland history around the Bundaberg and Gayndah area (which suffered such severe flooding at the beginning of this year), with humour, mystery and romance - and a surprising ending. An enjoyable read. And I did learn a something about the Platypus.
Steven McKay
Apr 13, 2016 Steven McKay rated it liked it
Shelves: library
An odd, but entertaining, book. The plot is moderately interesting, but the setting is the real star. Indigenous Australians, white settlers, and platypus.
Catherine
Mar 27, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it
I thought it ended rather abruptly for the way the author goes into such detail about seemingly trivial things. Enjoyed it anyway
Lindy
Jul 03, 2012 Lindy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story, loved this book. Also loved another of the same author - The Birds of East Africa.
Aug 22, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get through this one - too many other books to read. I might try again another time...
Megan
May 31, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Absolute gem of a book! So easy to read, and a nice sweet story with a bit of 'whodunnit'.
Linda_pilko
Jul 12, 2012 Linda_pilko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book full of history and amazing facts about platypus.
Michael Vanderzwan
Michael Vanderzwan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Nikki Thorn
Nikki Thorn marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Jochelle Mendonca
Jochelle Mendonca is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
Emile
Emile rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Susan Armstrong
Susan Armstrong marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Manuela Sard
Manuela Sard marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
May
May marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
  • The Good Parents
  • Sorry
  • The Miracle Thief
  • Capricornia
Nicholas Drayson has written extensively about wildlife and natural history and is the author of the novels Confessing a Murder, which was hailed by Booklist for its "view of Darwin never before seen", Love and the Platypus and A Guide to the Beasts of East Africa. An Englishman by birth, Drayson has worked as a journalist in the UK, Kenya and Australia, writing for publications such as the Daily ...more
More about Nicholas Drayson...