Start by marking “Girl Culture” as Want to Read:
Girl Culture

Girl Culture

Renowned photographer Lauren Greenfield has won acclaim and awards for her studies of youth culture. In Girl Culture, she combines a photojournalists sense of story with fine-art composition and color to create an astonishing and intelligent exploration of American girls. Her photographs provide a window into the secret worlds of girls social lives and private rituals, the ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Chronicle Books (CA) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Culture

Deez
Apr 01, 2008 Deez rated it really liked it
God damn girls are fucked! We are so awesome and amazing yet feel so shitty about are selves and are constantly sexualized as this book documents the difficulties of being a teen girl in America. The pictures are beautiful and very telling. It makes me kind of sad, but is really honest and unique as well.
Ryan
Feb 24, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it
I have a new found understanding and respect for how deep and damaging the messages we send to girls in our culture can be. Lauren Greenfield does a brilliant job of taking an intimate journey into the experiences of girls in the American culture without interpreting what she finds. Instead she lets the pictures and personal narratives of the girls tell the story in its rawest and most moving form. It is impossible to walk away without recognition of the subtle and overt ways the spirit and valu ...more
Tristan Goding
Dec 22, 2015 Tristan Goding rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was very powerful. This book explores, through photography, how damaged the female psyche has become throughout the 20th Century, particularly in contemporary times, and how girls are forced to be imprisoned and restricted within a guise of conformity that limits their ability to be self-expressive and embrace their feminine nature. Throughout this book are images of startling power. Some of the faces of these girls are utterly unforgettable. This is one of those books that I wish everyone ...more
Carola
Jul 31, 2008 Carola rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I heard about this through a Girl Scout puplication. It is intriguing. For anyone who thought, like me, that women have come a long way, this book will make you realize that we still have a long way to go. Greenfield presents this in a very non-judgemental way...she shows us both how we are objectified and how we ask to be objectified. The book is mainly pictures, with some paragraphs in the voice of the girls and women pictured.
Megan
Jun 06, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A very insightful and important piece of work. Every woman should see a copy of this. Photographs paired with stories of women and girls about their bodies, sexuality, beauty and how it is affected by culture. I had it on my coffee table for a long time and all my guests (men and women) would pick it up and become completely absorbed. I had to sit and wait until they were done so as not to disturb their reverie.
Jessica
Aug 24, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I got this book after being blown away by Greenfield's documentary "Queen of Versailles" and realizing that I was already familiar with her work from her documentary "Thin" (which is available on YouTube). I wish I could give this book to every single person in America, including myself about 10 years ago. In this book, Greenfield turns her lens toward the commodification of the female body and female rituals, and boy does she nail it. The stunning photos are amplified by raw personal narratives ...more
Emily
Nov 05, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Photography buffs and social issue inquirers
This book is a disturbing and brillant perspective on the influences impacting women and girls' image. Her photographs are full of color and extremely engaging. I had no idea there were still "finishing schools" around today!
Kara
Nov 20, 2008 Kara rated it really liked it
This collection of photography and essays/articles about girls and young women is fantastic but also incredibly depressing. I can't imagine how hard it would be to raise a young girl right now.
Heather
Jun 25, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
She really understands her subject. The kids speak for themselves. It's hopeful and bleak.
Emily
Apr 04, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
The stunning photographs of young women, interspersed with a few celebrities, are juxtaposed with essays told in first person by some of the girls themselves. Commenting on topics ranging from exotic dancing to weight-loss camp, competitive swimming to a high-school dance, these ladies are alternately self-assured and searching, confident and struggling to figure out what it means to be a woman in today's society. The images are important for the glimpse they give into the real thoughts of these ...more
The Girl Who Tried Everything
Sep 16, 2012 The Girl Who Tried Everything rated it really liked it
Lauren did an amazing job capturing the feelings that girls go through even though these images were taken sometime ago I still feel that any girl/woman can derive feelings and connection which these. I was lucky enough to get to meet and hear a lecture from this photographer, it's always interesting to hear what the photographer has to say about there work, I would recommend anyone that has a change catch one of her lectures.
Brittnee
Sep 19, 2016 Brittnee rated it liked it
The more things change the more they stay the same.
Janine
Jan 29, 2011 Janine rated it it was amazing
Lauren Greenfield's book offers a look into the lives of young women across the country. I first came across this book in my freshman year of college and had been doing a lot of reading about body image in women and found the writing and photographs in this book fascinating. Greenfield captures the essence of youth beautifully.
Alli
Some shocking photographs, some ordinary ones of everyday girls and women going about their lives. Some of the women pictured write short excerpts talking about their lives as women. Very focused on modern day culture and the impact it has on women and even young girls today. Beautiful photographs.
Vanessa
Nov 18, 2008 Vanessa rated it really liked it
So good. A collection of photos about (duh) being a girl. Girls with eating disorders, bodybuilders, popular middle schoolers, weight-loss campers...
Tons of amazing pictures about awkwardness, insecurity, jealousy, pride, strength, and the attempts to shakily construct a self-image.
Erin Sweet
Jun 26, 2013 Erin Sweet rated it it was amazing
This is an eye opener for people living in America. Standards are harsh and this book points out the standards that we impose upon the females in society. Like I said: eye opener.
I loved Lauren Greenfield's THIN and decided to give Girl Culture a go and ended up loving it too.
Erin
Jul 05, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Erin by: self-chosen for developmental psych project
Highly recommended for anyone interested in what it's like growing up female in the United States.

The "I accept myself" photograph - that's where it's at.
Miriam
May 03, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, gender
NOTE: I have not read this book (yet) -- I saw many of the photos and accompanying text as a museum installation and thought it was amazingly well done.
Janet
May 03, 2008 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: photo
I want to like Lauren Greenfield more than I do because she's tapped into an important subject. Maybe her work is too commercial for my tastes.
Claire
Jan 19, 2008 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, sociology
The wee little girl stuff bothered me the most. The swimmer's viewpoint was pretty inspirational.
April
Apr 17, 2009 April marked it as to-read
from spring '09 Women, Development, and the Journey seminar
Morgan Schulman
Jan 26, 2013 Morgan Schulman rated it it was amazing
I wish every book was this book.
danielle
Dec 08, 2007 danielle rated it it was amazing
AMAZING. I give it 7 thumbs up.
S
Oct 19, 2008 S rated it it was amazing
images to think on.
Phan Loc
Phan Loc rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Berti83
Berti83 rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Elin Yulianti
Elin Yulianti rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Juris Zemitis
Juris Zemitis rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
  • Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
  • Hotel Lachapelle
  • The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography
  • American Photobooth
  • The Art of the American Snapshot, 1888-1978: From the Collection of Robert E. Jackson
  • 20th Century Photography: Museum Ludwig Cologne
  • Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction
  • Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters from Marketers' Schemes
  • Francesca Woodman
  • Los Alamos
  • The Bone House
  • Cindy Sherman: Untitled Films Stills
Lauren Greenfield is an American artist, documentary photographer, and documentary filmmaker. She has published three photographic monographs, directed four documentary films, exhibited in museums, and published in magazines and other publications.
More about Lauren Greenfield...