Start by marking “The Old Man and His God: Discovering the Spirit of India” as Want to Read:
The Old Man and His God: Discovering the Spirit of India

The Old Man and His God: Discovering the Spirit of India

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,419 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
'People often ask me how it is that so many interesting things happen only to me. To them I reply that in life's journey we all meet strange people and undergo many experiences that touch us and sometimes even change us. If you have a sensitive mind and record your observations regularly, you will see your life too is a vast storehouse of stories.'As she goes about her wor ...more
Published January 28th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 2006)

Saurabh Khetan
Oct 19, 2013 Saurabh Khetan rated it it was amazing
We all know that, sudha murthy is prolific writer with lucid writing skill. But i would like to add one more title for her, She is also a motivational writer who throw rays on rare visited area of life. She still focus on humanity and love for human and mankind. which is more important in days to day life.

After going through her novel The old man and his god. I come to learn the true meaning of life, There are lots to learn from this novel. not just charity nor just being kind. but being true to
Sowmya's book world
Oct 29, 2013 Sowmya's book world rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every one
This book was a collection of many short stories related to Sudha Murty's life experience. Stories related to Friendship, sacrifices, love , marriage and lot more social aspects . I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Saiesha Hinge
Jun 22, 2016 Saiesha Hinge rated it really liked it
Genre: non-ficition.
a collection of short stories and by short, it really means short. Like very.
the writing is very simple and nothing too elaborate. Sudha Murty keeps it minimal.
the stories are beautiful indeed and makes you smile after reading them. (At least of them)
my favorites were: A tale of two brothers, made in heaven, the line of separation, mother's love and sweet hospitality.
I enjoyed reading the book because the stories were so heartwarming and eye-opening at some places.
Sudha
Vinay Leo R.
Sep 14, 2015 Vinay Leo R. rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 4-star, 2015
Review @ A Lot of Pages: http://tiny.cc/pxuo1x

Simple stories from life told in a simple, direct and interesting manner. My favorite three from the book were, “The Old Man and his God”, “The Way You Look at It”, “A Tale of Two Brothers” and “The Deserving Candidate”. I’m not always in agreement with the views of Sudha Murty about her interpretations and such, but I feel that they are definitely worth reading.
Anya
Feb 12, 2015 Anya rated it it was amazing
I remember I'd got this book as an award for being an avid reader (I was the nerd who read the maximum number of books in my school library that year. Proud moments ^_^)
So yeah this book is great because for me it's a reminder of good old times. Some books have memories attached to them so even though the stories in this one might not be that great, I loved every second of reading this.
Balachander
Sep 10, 2015 Balachander rated it it was ok
I admire Sudha Murty's work as an entrepreneur, a social worker,a teacher, in technology etc. Bravo I say when I read about her work in helping tsunami survivors, or for the infosys foundation, for underprivileged children and more. When it comes to her writing, however, I am a bit confused. She comes with great credentials. Many books sold (I presume, since I keep seeing it on best seller lists), a national award (the "R.K.Narayan award for literature" no less)and writings in both fiction and n ...more
Lokesh Walase
Jun 21, 2014 Lokesh Walase rated it really liked it
For detailed book-review, see my blog : http://miles_to_go.quora.com/Book-Rev...

From love to hatred and business to philanthropy, from freedom to injustice and selflessness to jealousy, from friendship to tragedy and spirituality to poverty ; every story of this book manifests a facet of human-life.

The Old Man And His God is a collection of short 25 real-life stories. During her career life and as a social worker, Sudha Murthy, meets several people with different backgrounds. Several small incid
Parth Agrawal
May 19, 2014 Parth Agrawal rated it liked it
The Old Man and His God - A book by Sudha Murthy is a coalesce of her life instances depicting various human natures and her philanthrophic experiences.The author is an active memeber of Infosys foundation.This workpiece is emotional as well as motivational.From the many experiences of author there is at least one experience which the reader can relate to his life.

The book begins with the story of a poor couple residing in s village temple and the author visits them accidently. There conversatio
Punit
Jul 12, 2015 Punit rated it really liked it
I love the short stories by Sudha Murthy - they're full of wisdom that's acquired only through experience and observations. This falls in the same category.
I admire the moral in each story - all of them are relatable and written in a lucid language.
Neeraj
May 02, 2016 Neeraj rated it really liked it
The author has penned down a nice collection of anecdotes describing people and situations she has encountered mostly while doing social service
Ankita Agarwal
Jul 25, 2012 Ankita Agarwal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A simple yet powerful compilation of short stories.Each story is different in its own way yet conveys a universal message.This book portrays a true picture of India, both city and village life.It shows the true character of people whom Sudha Murty has encountered in the course of her life.The selflessness and selfishness, compassion and cruelty, knowledge and ignorance all are shown distinctly.
A must read for everyone.
Satyam Sai
Jun 29, 2013 Satyam Sai rated it it was ok
A straight away torture on my lacrimal glands. Manipulated text aimed to fondle my heartstrings. Too good a portrait of India and even better of herself and her Infosys foundation. Too much awwww moments in today's words. Sri Sri Sudha Murty deserves a statue for what she is doing.....mostly by her advertisement manuals also known as her short stories.

Srujana
Jan 29, 2011 Srujana rated it it was amazing
A book that explains the truth of our very world.Sudha murty has written it in such a way that it can capture the minds of youths,especially indians.It explains a true human,a person with generosity,happiness,selfishness,disappointments,achievements and strugle.
Jalpan Soneji
May 07, 2013 Jalpan Soneji rated it really liked it
yesterday my mom brought this book from her school. I found this book in her bag. I started reding this book at 12 at night and complete it within a 2 hours. it is really a heart touching short experiences of Sudha Murty. We can learn so many things from this book.
Nishant Jha
Mar 26, 2013 Nishant Jha rated it it was amazing
Another slice-of-the-life read by Sudha Murty...just love her style of reading...all the stories are straight from the heart and can be easily related to...she definitely is one of my top-authors! 2 of her books are pending and can't stop to start reading them!
Srinivasa Ramanujam
Apr 22, 2012 Srinivasa Ramanujam rated it it was amazing
My first read of Sudha Murty. Certainly a good read. Some of the short stories are heart touching such as The business of philanthropy, Mother's love, The line of separation and the title story The old man & his God.
okyrhoe
Jul 27, 2009 okyrhoe rated it did not like it
Shelves: bookcrossing, india
Regarding the donation of relief aid:
"When a disaster strikes an area, I have seen that often the actual population of that area almost doubles."
Ajitabh Pandey

This book is a collection of real life incidents by Sudha Murthy. Some of the incidents mentioned in this book really made you think about various aspects of life.

We all meet various characters in real life but most of us just choose to ignore and continue. The author has penned these experiences, this clearly indicates how carefully she has thought of these events.
Vignesh
Moral stories . Good one !
Arti
May 22, 2013 Arti rated it really liked it
The Old Man and His God: Discovering the Spirit of India is a compilation of about 25 stories by Sudha Murthy which have been written in a very siple and lucid language. In the preface she says, "We all come across such strange and touching incidents in our life it is just that we forget them".

The title story is about a blind old man in a little Shiva temple, where the author takes shelter in the midst of a storm, who refuses to take any help saying that he is content with what he has. In anoth
Ashima Goyal
Aug 16, 2015 Ashima Goyal rated it liked it
I don't remember how I got hold of this book but I don't regret reading it. I have seen people saying that how come all the instances happen to her and its all fake. Judging an author for the source of stories is one thing one should not do. Not required. At all. Moving back to book, the stories draw you closer to people. I felt it made me realize that I have been living in a shell. There is a different world out there where everyday stories are build and forgotten. Reading those stories I ponde ...more
Yatin Diwakar
Oct 20, 2014 Yatin Diwakar rated it liked it
good collection of short stories. Although real life incidents, and there is some thoughts of the author written on the subject as well, still isn't provocative enough to make one stop and think. But then, may be it's just me or it isn't the purpose of the book. A good light read nonetheless. Will be digging out more of her books to read now.
Chethan SpeakGreen
Jan 03, 2016 Chethan SpeakGreen rated it really liked it
Shelves: sudha-murthy
The old man and the god is collection of sudha murthy's life experiences expressed in a clear n thruthful manner. Sudha murthy has penned down real life stories of compassion, luv, generosity of people whom she met while in infosys foundation which is known for its philantropic work.
As she travels across, sudha murthy documents people from all walks of life; people who r rich but depressed, poor but compasaionate, successful entrepreneuers, young minds, collegues.
its a good read..
ALOP - A Lot of Pages
Oct 12, 2015 ALOP - A Lot of Pages rated it really liked it
Link to the Book Review at ALOP

Leo rates this book 4 stars and says that he doesn't necessarily agree with the views of the author, but it is still interesting for the stories, which are narrated simply but beautifully.
Chandan Kumar Pathak
Incidents and situations encountered in day to day life which carry useful messages. Written in nice and simple words. However, extended narration in some of the stories would have made them more interesting to read. I love reading Sudha madam's books and have a great respect for the famous yet down to earth couple, Mr & Mrs Murty.
Eshalaxmi Barlingay
Jul 28, 2014 Eshalaxmi Barlingay rated it it was amazing
One of the most overwhelming books read. Sudha Murthy is a dynamic lady, with a vivid perception of situations occurring with and around her. She puts forth various stories wherein every short story brings in an extraordinary message with a smile on our face :)
(y) must read !
Christiane
Dec 28, 2015 Christiane rated it it was ok
Was this book written for children ? I didn’t get anything out of it. I found it badly written and banal.

I know that Indian authors are „en vogue“ but shouldn’t they have a minimum of literary skill and a message that isn’t trite and overly simplistic ?
Swathi
Jan 13, 2016 Swathi rated it it was amazing
"The Old Man & his God" - a collection of short stories beautifully woven around Sudha Murthy's real life experiences with people belonging to various walks of life viz: beggar, cook, maid, postman, security guard, blind man, street vendor, students, best friends, colleague, team mate, doctor, engineer, businessman, philanthropist et al.
Her experiences with them reinforces her views on basic essence of human values like unconditional love, affection, compassion, peace, content, empathy, sel
Shakti Krishnaswamy
Mar 24, 2016 Shakti Krishnaswamy rated it liked it
Mmmm...This lady has written her own perceptions and experiences. Mostly swirling around 'Infosys' and it's organizing activities. Each having their own perception. Not so different !! Once simply can read.
Anushri Prabhu
May 28, 2014 Anushri Prabhu rated it liked it
If one takes this as a novel and reads the book, I would say the book is a light and engaging read. But if you see it as a collection of short stories based on Sudha Murty's real life experiences, this book comes across as as her attempt to rise in the eyes of her readers. Some stories feel quite genuine and sincere. But some are too good or too bad to be true.
Despite all this, the stories are easy to read and will subtly teach you life's important lessons. Overall, 'The Old Man and his god' is
  • I Dare
  • Panther's Moon and Other Stories (Puffin Books)
  • Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges
  • The Girl Who Hated Books
  • Gods, Kings & Slaves: The Siege of Madurai
  • Sunset Club
  • Singing for Mrs Pettigrew: A Story Maker's Journey
  • The Hunt for Kohinoor (Mehrunisa Trilogy, #2)
Sudha Murty was born in 1950 in Shiggaon in north Karnataka. She did her MTech in computer science, and is now the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation. A prolific writer in English and Kannada, she has written nine novels, four technical books, three travelogues, one collection of short stories, three collections of non-fiction pieces and two books for children.

Her books have been translated int
More about Sudha Murty...

“Money is one thing which rarely unites and mostly divides people.” 6 likes
“A Cuckoo should never dance and a Peacock should not try to sing! (Acknowledge all the troubles and failures in our lives.)” 6 likes