Start by marking “Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club)” as Want to Read:
Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club)

Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  34,025 Ratings  ·  1,065 Reviews
Icy Sparks is the sad, funny and transcendent tale of a young girl growing up in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky during the 1950’s. Gwyn Hyman Rubio’s beautifully written first novel revolves around Icy Sparks, an unforgettable heroine in the tradition of Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird or Will Treed in Cold Sassy Tree. At the age of ten, Icy, a bright, curious child orph ...more
Published March 8th 2001 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Icy Sparks, please sign up.

Jeff-is
Sep 02, 2007 Jeff-is rated it did not like it
Ugh. I just saw the book cover, and wanted to hurl. My sister told me to read it. Thats the last recommendation she ever gave... I killed her.
Jessica
Oct 16, 2007 Jessica rated it did not like it
i thought this book would be interesting: a little girl growing up with Tourette's in 1950s Kentucky. i was so wrong. this book does a horrible job of getting inside a child's mind and does little to show us how her doctors at the institution came to understand enough about it to finally send her home. then it gets all Jesus-freak at the end. i have no idea why this is in Oprah's book club. no sir, i didn't like it.
Anna
Sep 02, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
i read this in high school and used it as part of my research for a paper on tourette's. "but anna," you may be thinking, "this book has a publication date of 2001, and you are 26 years old. that math doesn't compute."

yeah, well, books exist before oprah gets her hands on them. TAKE THAT, OPRAH! WHO SCOOPED YOU NOW, HUH??!?!? you think you're SOOOOOO cool with your show and your book club and your free iPods? well GUESS WHO READ THIS BOOK before you?????

anyway, i remember liking it.
Aimee
Jul 20, 2009 Aimee rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
I didn't care for this book. It felt like one of those that you're supposed to like to seem smart of part of a certain crowd-ie oprah's book club. I got this from a thrift store, since normally O don't read the oprah books.

Even with icy's "episodes" it was a lot of nothing that happened with a bunch of wildflower descriptions thrown in. I didn't really care about her as a character.

I was also very annoyed that I read 275+- pages then it went very "God showed me the way" in the last 20-30 pages
Jen
Icy Sparks is Anne of Green Gables with Tourette Syndrome. I loved the character, but wasn't super crazy about the story.

The book is divided into three parts. The first part was kind of painful because it shows her at 10 years old first beginning to manifest Tourette's, and becoming an outcast in her community--it's the 1950's in rural Kentucky and nobody had a clue about Tourette's. I really liked the second part, which induced me to keep reading the book (saying what it's about would be a spo
Mckenzie
Aug 21, 2012 Mckenzie rated it did not like it
Several times throughout this book I asked myself why I was still reading it, and after finishing it the only answer I have is "I was bored and kept hoping it would get better". It never really did. Don't get me wrong - if it was THAT horrible, I'm sure I would've given up - but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The premise, that of a young girl growing up in Appalachia in the 50's with Tourette's syndrome, sounded interesting and promising, but the writing is...unskilled. The dialogue ranges be
Irishcoda
Jul 11, 2007 Irishcoda rated it it was amazing

Sometimes when I come to the end of a good book I feel a little sad because I've enjoyed the story so much and now it's come to an end. That's how I felt when I closed the book on Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio. I'd picked up the book because it was one of Oprah's selections and the book jacket sounded interesting--a little girl with a troubling affliction grows up in 1950s Kentucky. As one growing up with deaf parents, I felt very different from the others as a child. I would be able to relate
Sammy
May 29, 2007 Sammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-the-good
Good read. For the most part, this book was a very enthralling and entertaining read. The story itself and the writing both very fine. It's not a book, though, that's going to go down in history as one of my favorites, despite the fact I really did enjoy it.

The main problem I had with the book was the characters themselves. They were likeable enough, but with the exceptional of Icy, most everyone she encountered seemed 2Demensional at most, they weren't flushed out enough for my taste. I'm not s
Ashley
Apr 24, 2010 Ashley rated it it was ok
When I read the back of the book cover to Adam he gave a big dramatic sigh and declared, "You read the most depressing books in the world." A book about a young girl growing up with undiagnosed Tourettes Syndrome, a story where the heroine feels completely unable to adapt to the world around her, a girl with no mother, raised by her loving but confused grandparents, a child who's only friend is a 400 pound adult, a stint in a mental hospital where the main character struggles and still remains u ...more
Suzanne
Aug 06, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Once you read this book, you will never forget it. Whenever I see a person reading this, I tell them how good & wonderful it is. It is so,so good.
Anna
Dec 18, 2016 Anna rated it it was ok
I did not like this as well as I thought I should have. The characters are interesting and complete people both the bad and the good. The story is involving. Perhaps it is because I didn't really like Icy and that left me feeling ambivalent about it.
Robin
Dec 01, 2007 Robin rated it liked it
Karen Klein
Jun 25, 2014 Karen Klein rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read! I picked this book up from my local library for $0.25 after briefly scanning the back cover. I thought that it would be interesting to read because my son was diagnosed with transient tic disorder (similar to Tourrettes) when he was about 4. I know that this book is fiction, but as I was reading about Icy Sparks (the main character) and how she described what she felt prior to her "fits" and extreme anger, I wondered whether or not my son felt the same way before each tic episode ...more
Gail Poag Smith
Dec 06, 2012 Gail Poag Smith rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story, set in the 1950s, of a young girl with Tourette's. Of course, at that time not much was known about the syndrome and her grandparents, who were raising her, and her school officials were at at a loss to know what to do.

Narrated by the girl, Icy, she doesn't have a clue what is going on and in spite of all her efforts finds she is increasingly unable to control her actions and speech.

This story reminded me so much of an author I know who had similar experiences growin
Maria
Nov 05, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
Ordinarily, I hate all literature, fiction, or story-telling about Appalachia. HATE. And I mean that as forcefully as the all caps implies. Silas House? So twee and building stereotypes that some of us would rather not have to fight against on a daily basis. Jesse Stuart? Please spare me.

But this book, while set in eastern Kentucky, isn't really about Appalachia. It's about a girl who happens to grow up in an isolated community, surrounded by mountains. But she's a special girl -- and she's got
Yzobelle
Jan 07, 2012 Yzobelle rated it it was ok
It could have been better. The build up of characters and plot was going well at the beginning. It started to decline and get all muddled up when Icy was at the institution. The characters, events, and relationships became so weak and confusing. There was no clear explanation as to what finally made them decide to send Icy home, no clear diagnosis or even a prognosis of what Icy had, and there was no resolution to Wilma's case. (The revelation of the Tourette Syndrome came at the epilogue.) The ...more
Natalie
Dec 14, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Natalie by: Ivy
One of the best pieces of odd story-telling I've read in a long time. Take a little girl in the country who's trying to fit in as best as she can. Add the fact that she has Torette's Syndrome (sp?), and you have fodder for a painfully funny yet touching comedy.

Little Icy finds comfort in the form of an adult, Miss Emily, a grossly obese woman who runs the local seed corn mill where they have tea parties with Miss Emily's cats. What you end up with is unusually unique story-telling style that is
Debbie
Mar 05, 2008 Debbie rated it liked it
Hill kid in 50s Kentucky with Tourette's syndrome. Gotta figure this will have some lessons in it somewhere! Is that a twitch or just a southern church service?? :-)
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 30, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

"Icy Sparks is the sad, funny and transcendent tale of a young girl growing up in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky during the 1950’s. Gwyn Hyman Rubio’s beautifully written first novel revolves around Icy Sparks, an unforgettable heroine in the tradition of Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird or Will Treed in Cold Sassy Tree. At the age of ten, Icy, a bright, curious child orphaned as a baby but raised by adoring grandparents, begins to have strange experiences. Try as she might, her "secre
Marissa
Nov 14, 2007 Marissa rated it did not like it
Granted, I listened to it and the narrator was okay until the end when Icy, the main character, finds God and there is all kinds of singing. Well, the singing just about sent me over the edge. "Amazing Grace" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" in a bad hillbilly accented voice was almost more than I could handle. I found myself finishing the book out of anger: "Damnit--I've lasted this long. I have to finish it." So I slogged through and finished the damned thing.

Icy is the main character, gr
Patrice Sartor
Overall, I was disappointed. While most of Oprah's book club books are depressing in some way, I still usually like them. That's probably why I kept going until the end, even though the story felt slow at times.

Icy Sparks suffers from Tourette's Syndrome, though she doesn't know it, and the people in her small town just figure she's crazy. Part of the time I believed Icy was a 10 year old girl with some issues. Other times I questioned whether a 10 year old girl really would think that deeply ab
Tabitha Vohn
May 18, 2015 Tabitha Vohn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sisterhood, high-brow
This was my Oprah Book Club summer read and my Vaca read this year. And it was everything I hoped it would be.

I feel as though I don't know what original insight I can offer, given that this novel has over one thousand written reviews. I can tell you that it's an honest, human story with an uplifting message of perseverance, compassion, and the transformative power of love at its core.

The cast of this story is endearingly warm. Icy herself captured my heart immediately and I felt that her inna
ehnonymus
Jul 12, 2010 ehnonymus rated it did not like it
by far one of the worst books i have ever read. i often snag novels from the high school library when i am bored at work and since there isn't much to choose from i picked up icy sparks, mistakenly believing that a book on the oprah book club list must have some merit (after all, books i have loved for a very long time often end up on her list- east of eden, for instance). anyway, i was instantly disappointed and i think it was only horrified disbelief that kept me going. i kept thinking that th ...more
Taylor
Jun 02, 2008 Taylor rated it it was ok
I REALLY liked the first half of this book. The experience of a young girl with Tourrette's was fascinating and plausible. The author's poor conveyance of dialect was distracting but forgivable, mostly due to the overaching sparkle of the main character's wit. Ten-year-old Icy is precocious and interesting, if a little too perceptive and articulate to be believed.

However, her transformation upon returning home (I'm being vague to avoid spoilers) defies her character and any patience the reader m
Lois
Sep 24, 2016 Lois rated it really liked it
Set in rural Kentucky in the 1950's, Icy Sparks is soon orphaned and raised by her mother's parents. By the time that she starts school she is having to go into the ice house to have "fits." In this setting there are only a few people who reach out to connect with a young girl who is so different from others while the bulk of the population shuns her.
Icy's undiagnosed Tourette's Syndrome shapes her life in unpredictable ways. Rubio does a great job of putting the reader into the head of a young
Ashley
Sep 29, 2010 Ashley rated it did not like it
This was a book club selection and I had the hardest time reading this book. It literally took me WEEKS to read. Ugh.
I found the author annoying and the character she created. For instance, I understand that the girl had tourettes but the way she would describe it bothered me. How does one pop out their eyes? Did she actually say the word croak or did she make a sound like a frog?
There are too many things I did not care for in this book or that I felt the author did a good job writing on and I
Liz
Aug 05, 2011 Liz rated it it was ok
Tara
Oct 08, 2009 Tara rated it liked it
I found myself very frustrated with the book. It is hard for me to be objective about the writing since I spent most of the time being so aggrivated by the way people treated her. I only finished the book because I could reason that it was the 1950's and people did not understand the disorder.
With that being said, could it be a good book because it did affect me so much? I suppose, but on this one I am rating it based on how much I enjoyed the book.
George
Aug 12, 2014 George rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lacpl-ebook, ipad
LAME. VERY LAME.

"Yessir, I was about to get wilder than a March hare in mating season."—page 182

'Icy Sparks' is such a terrific name. For a person and for a novel. Too bad the story of the novel, ICY SPARKS, by Gwyn Hyman Rubio, is so terribly lame, and its vapidity compounded by a touch of the distastefully crude.

Recommendation: I regret wasting my time. Surely you deserve better.

"You've made your blister." ... "Now sit on it."—page 240

Adobe Digital ( ePub) Edition, 300 pages
Rachel Rouleau
Dec 27, 2012 Rachel Rouleau rated it liked it
Shelves: read-by-me
I'm always intrigued by stories about people with rare and odd conditions, so I was excited to read this one. I enjoyed the writing style, but some of the story is just too out there for me. Some of it felt like it was happening in her head rather than in reality - characters say and do things that seem so unrealistic. Got way religious for me at the end there. Overall, liked it but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
Goodreads Librari...: please combine 3 12 Aug 26, 2016 05:20AM
  • Vinegar Hill
  • A Virtuous Woman
  • The Rapture of Canaan
  • Gap Creek
  • What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day (Idlewild, #1)
  • The Book of Ruth
  • Here on Earth
  • The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography
  • The Heart of a Woman
  • Breath, Eyes, Memory
  • Open House
  • Drowning Ruth
Gwyn Hyman Rubio (born August 7, 1949 in Macon, Georgia) is an American author, best known for her novel Icy Sparks.

Rubio graduated from Florida State University in 1971 with a degree in English. She then joined the Peace Corps and spent several years working as a teacher in Costa Rica. After returning to the U.S. and settling in Kentucky she became interested in writing, ultimately receiving a Ma
More about Gwyn Hyman Rubio...

“I eyed her and shrugged my shoulders, wondering how on earth she thought this meal was good, but her wafer-thin body gave her away; not once in her life had she eaten good-tasting food.” 0 likes