The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Inventive, (mostly) edible DIY gadgets and projects guaranteed to captivate

The Hungry Scientist Handbook brings DIY technology into the kitchen and onto the plate. It compiles the most mouthwatering projects created by mechanical engineer Patrick Buckley and his band of intrepid techie friends, whose collaboration on contraptions started at a memorable 2005 Bay Area dinner...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published 2008)

Karissa
I got this book on loan from my dad who thought I would really enjoy it. As a chemist and someone who enjoys food, I did enjoy the quirkiness of this book.

This book is an interesting read and more of a coffee table type book than a reference book. The twenty projects featured in it vary widely: from folding wonton wrappers into cranes, to a solar powered temperature sensing coaster, to edible underwear. This is a project book focused on the adult crowd: many projects feature alcohol or already m...more
Kathleen Garber
I am not a Techie, Tinkerer or Foodie but the premise sounded interesting and I was expecting fun experiments I could try and possibly share with my Girl Guides. The book wasn't quite what I was expecting. It's for adults and those who know a lot about technology. I know how to do most things on a computer and I wrote a VERY simple program once but I couldn't follow most of the instructions. There are a couple of "mini" projects throughout the book and those are the only ones I could probably do...more
Jared
OK book, but somewhat disappointed. Definitely a geeky book, so that was good. However, there was too much emphasis on tech/electronics/etc. and not enough on the food itself.
Brad
I really like the premise of this book, but it just didn't quite do it for me. I guess I was kind of hoping for projects that would be fun to do with my kids someday, but most of the things in this book are either too technical or too boring (i.e., why would I bother?). As I read the book, none of the projects made me think, "oooh, I want to do that," it was more, "meh, I guess that's kind of cool."

I would probably make the liquid N2 ice cream sometime, but already knew how to do that. But a gra...more
Karen
This is a terrific collection of projects (sometimes loosely) based on food. My very favorite crazed science foodies, Evil Mad Scientist Labs, contributed several projects to this book. I should confess, it's why I bought the book in the first place.

Lots of fun projects here to try, especially if a) you've got at least a passing interest in electronics or b) if you don't mind a bit of adventure with your food. A couple of the things in there stretched the concept a bit, I thought (pomegranate wi...more
Armicia
This book is fun to read. The projects are too advanced for the average person though. Unless you work in a college science lab and have unrestricted access to lab equipment most of the recipes are hard, if not impossible, to accomplish. Too bad, they look fun!
Stacey
I do absolutely love this book. Complete with instructions on how to make light-up lollipops with LEDs, fizzy lemonade with dry ice and edible origami.

That said, I'm an engineer by trade and thus, know how to do a lot of the things in this book; like, soldering, reading circuit diagrams and obtaining liquid nitrogen.

Do keep in mind that this book is designed for Techies and Tinkerers. Heck, it does say the book is a Scientist's handbook. So don't wade into this book without that in mind. Becau...more
Vanete
I just received this book for Christmas, and was one of the first things I looked through. It wasn't quite what I expected. While it was still interesting to look through, it's certainly more geared towards those electronically involved. I was hoping for more actual lab-tested recipes than the creation of a computer chip trivet.

Interesting, but unfortunately not as accessible outside that of pure electronics.
Kim
Nov 28, 2008 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one who is a science nut
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was very entertaining and left me with wanting to do the things in it. I am not techical enough to accomplish quite a bit of the things in this book, as they require the use of electrical wires, batteries, and other things I'm not so good at. The one thing I wish they had inclued the plans for, was the marshmallow launching Lego trebuche. That I could build.
Vanessa
There are some nifty projects to check out in here, but they are just a bit complicated for the average person. I'm definitely intrigued by the projects using dry ice though; they sound like a lot of fun! This is a unique book to browse through and would appeal the techies and tinkerers more so than the foodies.
Smellsofbikes
Hugely fun. Only a few of the chapters are actually food and some of the projects are quite finicky to get working, but it's wide-ranging, including electronics, chemistry, kitchen appliance modification, and silly projects like a LEGO marshmallow trebuchet. I loved this.
Jerzy
Looks really cool! I haven't had a chance to try any of these yet besides the dry ice drinks, which were definitely impressive-looking though didn't taste as fizzy as I'd hoped. But if I had access to a metal workshop I would definitely build the amazing pie-cosahedron.
Kater Cheek
This book has some fun little projects that were more fun to read about than undertake. Some were too elaborate, like an icosahedron pecan pie and solar-powered coasters, while others looked do-able, like edible origami and dry-ice root beer.
Tiffany
Lots of fun! Just the type of thing I'd like to have time to play around with, although I'd be inclined to veer away from engineering and more toward biology ... of course!
Liz DeCoster
Full of intriguing applications and fun food factoids. Given the intricacy of the recipes, however, I have a hard time imagining I'd use this cookbook.
Kate
This was a little too hard-core for me. Most of the projects involved a lot of time and effort, but they were neat ideas.
Harlan
A wildly inconsistent and mostly not very interesting set of projects, few of which had anything to do with actual cooking.
Kyle
The internet has not completely taken over tinkering advice for adults. Fun and simple.
Sandy
Mar 11, 2011 Sandy is currently reading it
library check out period expired before i got a chance to try anything!
Jacqi
Pretty cool, but for hardcore scientists.
Melissa
Not for elem/jr high kids. Too technical, boo.
Montgomery
Two words: edible origami
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Alex Willisson
Alex Willisson marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Bob Murphy
Bob Murphy marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Kit
Kit is currently reading it
May 18, 2014
The Complete Guide to Hospital Marketing, Second Edition The Hungry Scientist Handbook A Return to Innocence: Philosophical Guidance in an Age of Cynicism Innovative Business School Teaching: Engaging the Millennial Generation