Start by marking “100 Posters, 134 Squirrels” as Want to Read:
100 Posters, 134 Squirrels

100 Posters, 134 Squirrels

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A greatest-hits collection of the last decade of Jay Ryan's compelling posters, 100 Posters, 134 Squirrels showcases one of underground poster art's most prolific and talented practitioners. Framed by essays from luminaries in the music, design, and poster worlds—including Steve Albini, Art Chantry, Greg Kot, and Debra Parr—as well as an interview with Ryan himself, this b ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about 100 Posters, 134 Squirrels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Posters, 134 Squirrels

Adam
Jay Ryan is a pretty sweet dude. He's friendly, plays some great bass guitar (along with another bass player) in a fun instrumental Chicago rock band by name of Dianogh (pronounced "DYAH-NO-GOO"), and screens some of the raddest posters on the planet. I'd definitely recommend checking out his work (and the work of his friends) through The Bird Machine [http://www.thebirdmachine.com]. This is his first book, and could easily command any coffee table, toilet reading area, or bookshelf you place it ...more
Christopher
I've been casually following the screen printed gig posters of Jay Ryan since about 1999. I've even swiped a few off club and record-store walls. So I was pleasantly surprised to find this book while browsing the comic shop.

It is hard to review a book that is comprised mostly of pictures and I guess that is really my only problem with this book. I'd just really like to hear Jay talk more about his process. I know screen printing is pretty straight forward, but everybody has a different way of d
Jreimer
when i first started seeing Jay Ryan's posters at Reckless in Chicago they looked like someone just dropped of a sketch and moved on. I loved it and still do. This book is affordable and filled with the cutest damned animals you ever did see.

Kristy
Jay Ryan is an invaluable member of Chicago's indie art scene. His creepy squirrels and rough pencil lines are imitated by many, but matched by none. Check out this retrospect for some high-quality stimulation!
Kathleen
I love Jay Ryan's art -- we have several of his posters around the house. This is a nice collection and overview of his work and displays his great talent. If you love graphic art, check out The Bird Machine.
St. Murse
A collection of works by my favorite poster artist. Gorgeous stuff. Also, he's a nice guy who always attends the Flatstock show during SXSW. So glad he finally responded to my (and others) requests to publish a book.
Jessica McCloud
GET THIS BOOK!

If you live in Chicago and you don't know who Jay Ryan or The Bird Machine is-- CHECK IT OUT ASAP!

He's one of my favorite artists and kids he used to teach at Columbia (he may still).
Charissa
Awesome illustrator from Chicago, Il. He's made a lot of posters you've already seen and now you can have a mini collection of them in this book! A super great friend as well.
Arch
technically, i didn't read this book. i just looked at the pics. but isn't that the meat of the thing? gorgeous! if only i could draw half this good.
Lindsay
Love the illustration and the way he uses color. Awesome characters which he uses in band posters.
Emily
can it get any better than jay ryan? i think not..
Kristin
Jay Ryan's art is my favorite.
Kate
Kate added it
Dec 01, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Steven Stadnicki
Steven Stadnicki marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Athena (Shardbearer)
Athena (Shardbearer) marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Farzad
Farzad marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Violetta Diguido
Violetta Diguido marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Sam Boatright
Sam Boatright marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Emily Clark
Emily Clark marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Animals and Objects in and Out of Water: Posters, 2006-2008 Signs & Seasons: Understanding the Elements of Classical Astronomy .. Butch Butch II Mike: The Beginning