Start by marking “100 Posters, 134 Squirrels” as Want to Read:
100 Posters, 134 Squirrels

100 Posters, 134 Squirrels

A greatest-hits collection of the last decade of Jay Ryan's compelling posters, 100 Posters, 134 Squirrels showcases one of underground poster art's most prolific and talented practitioners. Framed by essays from luminaries in the music, design, and poster worlds—including Steve Albini, Art Chantry, Greg Kot, and Debra Parr—as well as an interview with Ryan himself, this b ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about 100 Posters, 134 Squirrels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Posters, 134 Squirrels

Adam
Sep 14, 2007 Adam rated it it was amazing
Jay Ryan is a pretty sweet dude. He's friendly, plays some great bass guitar (along with another bass player) in a fun instrumental Chicago rock band by name of Dianogh (pronounced "DYAH-NO-GOO"), and screens some of the raddest posters on the planet. I'd definitely recommend checking out his work (and the work of his friends) through The Bird Machine [http://www.thebirdmachine.com]. This is his first book, and could easily command any coffee table, toilet reading area, or bookshelf you place it ...more
Rainey
Jun 19, 2017 Rainey rated it really liked it
When flipping through this book at a friend's house, I realized that I had read it before! 100 posters by artist Jay Ryan are coupled with the story of each.
Christopher
Aug 05, 2007 Christopher rated it it was amazing
I've been casually following the screen printed gig posters of Jay Ryan since about 1999. I've even swiped a few off club and record-store walls. So I was pleasantly surprised to find this book while browsing the comic shop.

It is hard to review a book that is comprised mostly of pictures and I guess that is really my only problem with this book. I'd just really like to hear Jay talk more about his process. I know screen printing is pretty straight forward, but everybody has a different way of d
Kristy
Dec 22, 2015 Kristy rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of Jay Ryan before reading this book, but now I'm a huge fan. His posters are cute without being cutesy, which is a tough balance, and his color palate is pretty amazing. I liked the introductory essays and interview as well -- particularly for a neophyte like me, they really put everything in context. A lovely book.
Kristy
Jay Ryan is an invaluable member of Chicago's indie art scene. His creepy squirrels and rough pencil lines are imitated by many, but matched by none. Check out this retrospect for some high-quality stimulation!
Jessica McCloud
Jan 08, 2008 Jessica McCloud rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books-yo
GET THIS BOOK!

If you live in Chicago and you don't know who Jay Ryan or The Bird Machine is-- CHECK IT OUT ASAP!

He's one of my favorite artists and kids he used to teach at Columbia (he may still).
Kathleen
Jan 17, 2008 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
I love Jay Ryan's art -- we have several of his posters around the house. This is a nice collection and overview of his work and displays his great talent. If you love graphic art, check out The Bird Machine.
Jreimer
Feb 10, 2008 Jreimer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
when i first started seeing Jay Ryan's posters at Reckless in Chicago they looked like someone just dropped of a sketch and moved on. I loved it and still do. This book is affordable and filled with the cutest damned animals you ever did see.

St. Murse
Jan 19, 2009 St. Murse rated it it was amazing
A collection of works by my favorite poster artist. Gorgeous stuff. Also, he's a nice guy who always attends the Flatstock show during SXSW. So glad he finally responded to my (and others) requests to publish a book.
Arch
Aug 09, 2007 Arch rated it it was amazing
technically, i didn't read this book. i just looked at the pics. but isn't that the meat of the thing? gorgeous! if only i could draw half this good.
Charissa
Mar 18, 2010 Charissa rated it it was amazing
Awesome illustrator from Chicago, Il. He's made a lot of posters you've already seen and now you can have a mini collection of them in this book! A super great friend as well.
Emily
Jan 05, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
can it get any better than jay ryan? i think not..
Ryan Bryant
Jan 28, 2008 Ryan Bryant rated it really liked it
cool
Kristin
Aug 08, 2007 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Jay Ryan's art is my favorite.
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2007
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2007
Erick
Erick rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2012
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2007
Lacey
Lacey rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2008
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2008
Yifot
Yifot rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2008
Christine Clayton
Christine Clayton rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2008
C.
C. rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2016
bibliogrrl
bibliogrrl rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2008