Start by marking “White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)” as Want to Read:
White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)

White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows #7)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  39,155 Ratings  ·  1,026 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison returns to the sinister and seductive Hollows for the newest blockcuster adventure featuring Rachel Morgan, witch and bounty hunter.

White Witch, Black Curse

Some wounds take time to heal...and some scars never fade.

Rachel Morgan, kick-ass witch and bounty hunter, has taken her fair share of hits, and has broken lines she swore
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 504 pages
Published February 24th 2009 by Eos

Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
151st out of 1,860 books — 13,583 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
75th out of 1,522 books — 6,839 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

White Witch, Black Curse introduces us to a new type of Inderlander—the banshee. Well, introduces us directly. Mia (the banshee) shows up in a couple of the novellas, but in the seventh installment of The Hollows, she is front and center. And not in a good way.

Harrison’s version of a banshee is more like a succubus or a psychic vampire. They’re seen before a person dies, not b/c they’re a herald of death, but b/c they’re doing the killing. By sucking the life force, or au
Laz
Jul 25, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
How could I not love this like all of the previous books? Not sure when there's going to be a book in this series that I do not give it 5 stars. This one deserved every single one of them, and so did its predecessors.

A child banshee unable to control her powers and a mother bringing hell on earth to keep her safe and to herself. Bashees suck on emotion and eventually kill you. I dig this hard, it's amazing to see how powerful some creatures are and it's not even a demon.

After the events of the
Schnaucl
Lightreads
Okay, I think we've officially entered the extremely strange realm where a book outstrips its author. I can't count the number of times there was this cool visual image (gargoyle correcting his size by plinking out ice cubes) or interesting emotional moment (Rachel having a flashback) and I nearly missed it because of a clumsy phrase or an anvil to the head. And this book lost major points with me for ham-handed exploitation of terminally ill children for emotional juice that it didn't even need ...more
Duchess Nicole
I can never quite love the Hollows books, but I never stop reading them, either! This is a world that you can't forget...there's something about the unique casting of characters and the way they all interact together that makes them so very memorable.

I just love Rachel and Jenks. Their friendship and complete and utter loyalty to each other make this series for me.

What about Ivy, you ask? That vampy chick pisses me right the hell OFF! I rant about Ivy in every review, but I'll do it again here
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jul 25, 2016 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
As much as I love the action and adventure in this series, it was nice to take a slight step back and get a bit of a softer side with Rachel and her interactions with her family, specifically, her brother Robbie and her mom, who I absolutely adored.

And while this book was a touch lighter on the action side it was still packed full of emotion as Ivy and Jenks still have a mystery to solve, memories to retrieve and demons to deal with.

So very much happens in this book, heck so much has happened
Marianne
Jun 28, 2014 Marianne rated it it was ok
I've continued to read up to this point in the series because of the supporting characters and Harrison's paranormal world; book seven was no exception. However, I would appreciate it if Ms. Harrison omitted the following for the rest of the series: children on their deathbeds, mention of Piscary, banshees, sexual tension between Ivy & Rachel - for the love of all that is holy please find a cure for that damn scar -, or deductions by Rachel that lead to more smut on her aura when it isn't ab ...more
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
So happy with this book. It had some frustrating moments, but in the end I liked it so much.

With all those events happening, it's one of the few series that still hold my interest, even after book 7.

So curious about #8 :)
Kribu
Eh. It took me 13 days to get through this book (this is more than four times what a genre book this size would usually take), and it's not just because I was off travelling and had less time.

I could have made the time to read. I just .... had a hard time making myself go into the effort. And whenever I did, I inevitably got bored or sleepy after a chapter or two.

I don't even know. I've had problems with the writing in all the books in this series (and this one was no exception), but at least th
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The seventh book in the series, I found this one dragged a bit more than some of the others, although I think it ended really strong. It also tied up a number of loose ends that had been lying around, and although a few new ones were started, this had the feel of closing a major chapter or arc before beginning a new one.

This is also the first book that directly incorporates events from the novellas and short stories which have been published in anthologies (specifically Dates From Hell, Holidays
Lorena
Mar 08, 2009 Lorena rated it liked it
I generally like this series, but this book's ratio of ass-kicking to emotional self-indulgence was heavily weighted towards the emotional self-indulgence. I say "self-indulgence" because most of the book seemed to revolve around Rachel feeling sorry for herself and whining about how aloooooone she was because nobody understaaaaands her. The personalities of some other characters seemed to be entirely altered just to advance this agenda. That shift in how certain characters behaved, along with t ...more
Mar 11, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
I read this series because the worldbuilding is great, and the witchcraft is interesting and intricate. The author really has those things down pat. Unfortunatly, this series is kinda falling flat (for me, anyways) as it goes along. A character doesn't have to be perfect or even likeable for me to like reading about them, but Rachel is just plain annoying, and it's hard for me to have any kind of concern for the character. I am also sick to death of Ivy and the relationship angst between her and ...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Feb 10, 2011 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it it was amazing
Tell the truth. Did you take the time to read all of those Hollows short stories scattered in anthologies over the past few years? If the answer is yes, you're finally getting your payoff. Just about every short story associated with the series comes into play here. And while you didn't HAVE to read them all to understand, they certainly give the reveals here something-extra for the fans who went beyond the novels.

We pick up with Rachel accepting her deal with the demon, Al, to become his stude
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
I've been reading the series since the beginning & this is book 7. It got an extra star because it is still so engaging. It's entertaining fluff & fun. Our heroine, a witch, is still trying to do right & still coming up with nothing but problems. She no sooner gets one thing settled than two others pop up. Which problems get solved & which new ones will pop up is the mystery. After 6 other books, I knew there wouldn't be a clean, happy ending. Hopefully, she'll end the series on ...more
Susana
Feb 01, 2015 Susana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Well this was pretty much more of the same, and by that I mean that Rachel continues to get herself into all the messes and predicaments she can come up with! And that becomes exhausting to read.

Despite that, this continues to be one of my favourite urban fantasy series, mainly because I love the Hollows world and most of its insane characters _I may even have started warming up to Ivy.

Despite that, I can't help wishing that the book had been about half its size.
Oh, and can't we get Rachel a the
Melliane
Feb 15, 2015 Melliane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

It’s been a while since I told myself that I should return to the series. Lexxie and Jessica’s reviews really made me want to go back to the stories, not that I needed that, because I really enjoyed all the novels. But it is true that with the release of the last volume, and given the great reviews, I was even more curious to get into the novels. Want to know why I did not read it sooner? Because I knew perfectly well that at the end of this book I was going
Gina
Feb 28, 2009 Gina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: urban fantasy-paranormal lovers!
Armina
Aug 11, 2013 Armina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
This instalment seemed a little darker than some of the previous books in the series. What I didn't like so much is that it started a little slow and very little happened in general. Before the last third of the book I felt it somewhere below 4 stars but the last part totally made up for a solid 4 stars read.

In White Witch, Black Curse Rachel is mostly in a state of personal gloom. She needs to find (view spoiler), to tag down a banshee who thinks she rules the wo
Mar 29, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Steven
Feb 24, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing
This one was pretty epic. Lots of twists and turns, a lot of backstory revealed, some new/returning characters brought into the mix and developed, and a lot of Al hijinks. Fun fun!
Mark
Nov 01, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it
Back to top form.
Maria

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

It’s not easy to write a review for a book that is a part of a series that I absolutely love. I don’t know from where to start! This urban fantasy series by Kim Harrison is one of the best in this genre. The world-building, the not-at-all-black-or-white-but-totally-grey characters, the plot and twists and some of the best lines ever, make the whole series a pleasure to read!

Nothing is easy for Rachel for one more
VampireNovelFan
Well, every series going for this long is bound to have that one book that just isn't up to par with the rest. I'm a huge fan of The Hollows, but this was definitely the weakest installment.

Rachel's shunned, cast aside as a black which in her community. She's also focused on figuring out who killed Kisten a couple of books back. All the while, she takes on a banshee that feeds herself and child by stealing auras from people.

The resolution to Kisten's death was anti-climatic at best. I am not su
Theshrewedshrew
Jan 23, 2013 Theshrewedshrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-hollows
One of the last lines of the book defines the entire book for me.

Al says something along the lines of "But he is Rachel candy..." I can't remember now if it was a statement or a question, but assuredly it is hilarious. Its one of the few lines and reason I still read The Hollows...
yeah I know if your 7 books in you should already have a reason, but Rachel is one of the most whiny rhymes with witchy character.

She has this moral code, which makes noooo sense. They are on the boat, people are as
jD
Aug 20, 2011 jD rated it really liked it
After reading this installment, I better understood why some fans weren't feeling it. I am not one of those. I believe my positive experience with the book is because I didn't have to wait and generous spoilers. In truth, spoilers only tell me what happened but not how I will feel about it.

I did not expect to get excited about Pierce. I thought I would be unhappy that Trent is hardly in the book. I thought it was time for the gorgoyle to state his business. I thought Marshall was going to turn
Danya
This series is so inconsistent. Some of the books are really quite strong and others...not as much. I had some issues with the way basically everyone was behaving this go 'round, especially Ivy (what else is new?). Maybe it's because I'm listening to the series on audio, but some of Ivy's lines are just so damn melodramatic. Girl has no chill.

I'm concerned about Rachel once again jumping at the chance to sample some "Rachel candy" in the form of a new love interest. Like...that's cute and all bu
Natasha
Sep 16, 2009 Natasha rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Kim Harrison since I first read DEAD WITCH WALKING and I've never been disappointed. She writes the stories you wish you could have and makes you emotionally attached throughout. I don't think I could choose a favorite from this series but this installment is near the top.
It's action packed and a fast paced read. I read it in a few hours and could not put it down.
In this installment she puts to rest some ghosts and fights a lot of bad guys. She really goes though a lot of to
La Mala  ✌
3.5

[Reseña Pendiente]
Charlie
I couldn't really remember any of this book at all so it was quite like reading it for the first time. As usual, I was hooked with the adventures of Rachel and co. The ending was utterly heartbreaking, and I was devastated for Rachel and Ivy, though at least they got some closure. Re-reading this series has been such fun, I'm both anticipating and dreading getting to the end.
Lorre
Mar 12, 2016 Lorre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-complete
Another amazing book in this series!
Rachel, Ivy and Jenks have a lot to deal with in this one.
Mia, the banshee, was a formidable opponent and I was so happy when she and her creepy husband Remus were finally behind bars!
Hollows Read-Alon...: He's ba-a-a-ck! Pierce 42 210 Jan 28, 2014 06:56AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Children's wing/Ivy's wish 13 167 Jan 21, 2014 05:21PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Rachel's shunning 22 149 Jan 09, 2014 06:57AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Raced to the end 14 158 Jan 06, 2014 02:33PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Fav Quotes 13 96 Jan 03, 2014 03:01PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: First thoughts 20 166 Jan 01, 2014 09:11AM
  • Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac, #3)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2)
  • Gale Force (Weather Warden, #7)
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KimHarris
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

“I only snatched him to get your attention,” I said. “Now that I’ve got it, this is what I want.”
“Damn my dame!” Al shouted, hands raised to the ceiling. “I knew it! Not another list!”
116 likes