Start by marking “Losing Joe's Place” as Want to Read:
Losing Joe's Place

Losing Joe's Place

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  596 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Jason and his two friends move into Jason's brother's apartment and manage to wreak havoc in it during one funny and memorable summer.
Published October 1st 1991 by Turtleback Books (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Joe's Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Joe's Place

Beth
I remember reading this for the first time so clearly. I was probably ten or twelve or thereabouts. I didn't think it was as immediately funny as other Gordon Korman books, but I remember telling my friend that it built to an amazing crescendo, where all its threads came together in a way that made me laugh until I couldn't breathe.

I learned something this weekend: I don't only like the books I read when I was younger because of nostalgia. I like them because they're good books. And I know that
Freda
This is one of those books that I know is corny, and not very good, but I liked anyway. It's a teenager book, and I know this. No one else is going to like it but teenagers. But I enjoyed it all the same. It's like that one action movie that you know sucks and are embarrassed to tell anyone you like but you watch it over and over again all the same.
Connor
I read the book called “Losing Joe’s Place” by Gordon Korman. This is the first time I have read one of his books. This book was very entertaining and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I liked the way it is written and the humor is reoccurring. Overall it was a great read and I would read it again.

The book starts out with Jason and Joe fighting over losing his apartment in Toronto. Joe is Jason’s older brother. Joe is a bodybuilder and model. Joe went overseas to shoot for a calendar while Jason, Ferguso
Marilyn
Gordon Korman is one of the great Canadian authors not because his writings are commentaries on life but because his writing is just so entertaining. For example, this particular book has a character named Rootbeer Racinette. For those of you who do not read French, that's Rootbeer Rootbeer.
Marshall
Definitely one of my favourite books of all time. I know, it's corny, it's simple, and it's written for children. Probably 3/3 of the necessary ingredients for a successful book (at least in my opinion)
Rabia
This book was Great I've been searching every where on what this book was called because i forgot.i finally found it. My brother brought it home one day from school. it was just lying there on the floor so i read it one day, and i could not stop. I totally recommend this book for boys and girls.
Lana.
From the back cover, Kevin, my ten year old nephew, said, "It's weird." And he put it down.

Wacky was more like it. Gordon Korman books, as I remembered it, always had a logical progression of events, but between all the strange characters and situations, they snowball into something completely surreal.

This book is no different. That's why it's on my shelf. I picked it up again and read.

Jason and his two best friends are allowed to stay in his big brother's, Joe's, appartment for the summer. T
George Ilsley
This YA novel was published 25 years ago and is an example of what YA books used to be like. Good clean fun. No swearing or drugs.

The plot is a fantasy, almost as bad as many Hollywood movies. The writing is clear and it does zip right along.
Noah
Losing Joe's place is about a boy who has his older brothers house to himself and his friends for a couple of days. His older brother comes back and the place is for lease. Joe's younger brother had lost the lease and everything was falling apart.
I can connect this book to real life because people lose important things of there friends or family sometimes.I can connect this to The outsiders because Pony boy did some bad things and had to go away for a while.
I would give this book a three star
Marlene
Great middle/high school humorous approach to living on your own, keeping a job, learning to cook, and dating. Two Teens join their friend as he takes over big brother Joe's place for the summer. Enter some seShady new acquaintances and some creative solutions to clearly preventable mishaps and you have the perfect ingredients for a "chocolate surprise" complete with whipped cream and cherry.
This laugh-out-loud tale of Gordan Korman's would be great as a read-aloud, or, as I intend to use it to
Connor
this book is full of laughter but this book is completely unrealistic. I can recommend this book for young readers
Kristine
A childhood favorite that has oddly stuck with me throughout the years. Very funny.
Annette
First read this as a teen, and re-read recently. It's definitely a youth book - that is and always has been Korman's market - but it's enjoyable. Not, perhaps, as laugh-out-loud funny as when I was 15, but still funny. I remembered a surprising amount of it on the re-read, which is usually a sign of an imaginative, unique book. The boys' evil landlord and their terrifying roommate Rootbeer Rancinette are especially colorful. Korman has always been a favorite youth humor author of mine: I've coll ...more
Nordic21
This book is defiantly for pre-teens and teens. I could so relate to the book because of the locations used. Going to a big city and working would be the only escape.
I've never read a book that could come close to compare with the plot, very original. Sure Korman had a lot of chance in the book, but I liked it over all, the way everything seemed to be realistic.
Anna
OMG I picked this up and meant to read just the first chapter tonight, but I couldn't put it down. This was one of those books that I would check out from the library AGAIN and AGAIN when I was little. I can't even sum up its awesomeness. I adore Gordon Korman and this book especially.
Vestal Public Library
This book is my favorite book. Well one of them. I reccomend this book to everyone. Its really funny. Its got Comedy, action, a little romance. Its got something for everyone, boys and girls.
Check it out. I loved it so much i went out and bought it.
Monique
This book is a little hard to review for me. I liked it, interesting storyline, but the some little details brought it down a little bit. The ending was a little unrealistic and I thought this seemed a little too crazy. Well written though.
Rivkah
This book is about: A young kid (I forget his name) who uses up all his money and has to get a job with his three friends at a bubble wand factory. He also takes over for a while, the sour manager's shop, creating a new recipe.
Hank
I didn't realize it at the time, but this felt like NYC when he described the perfect apartment, and the start of a business so crazy that it succeeds :D Great book - never saw the movie, though, I suspect it disappoints.
Carol L. Millman
One of my all time favourite books when I was a teenager. The characters are fantastic, the story is funny, and the themes of unemployment, trying to make rent, and finding your niche are all very well done.
Jason and his friends stay in his big brother's big city apartment for the summer. A five-star book through the multiple, multiple re-reads of my childhood, and still funny and original enough to earn four stars now.
Hannah
Equally as hilarious as Toliet Paper Tigers, if not more so. I had Ben in hysterics as we read this together, and anyone who knows Ben's attitude towards reading knows that is truly an achievement.
Matt Murphy
Maybe it's because it was one of my junior-high favorites, but I bought and read Losing Joe's Place again recently and loved it even more than I had as a kid. Just a great, fun book.
Slizzards
Loved this book. I picked it up because it was written by one of my favourite authors, Gordon Korman. It had an amazing storyline and ending too go with it too.
Heather
I've always liked Gordon Korman and this book lived up to his style. It was a light, fun read, which was exactly what I was looking for!
Ardie
Although the character Jason drove me crazy, this book made me laugh out loud several times.
Crystal
One of my favorite books about friendship and the lengths we'll go to to avoid job-hunting.
Narek
This book is fun o read and its not like a book were you get bord of it its fun.
Bucket
This cracked me up when I was a kid! I read it so often that it fell apart, literally.
Erin
i still try to avoid "executive burnout." this book is funny even as an adult.
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Graffiti Knight
  • Locavore: From Farmers' Fields to Rooftop Gardens - How Canadians Are Changing the Way We Eat
  • Journal infime (Lou!, Tome 1)
  • Strange Heaven
  • Forbidden City
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • Jesper (Lisa's War, #2)
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • The Stamp Collector
  • Girls With Slingshots, Vol. 2
  • Orfe
  • Haunted
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Gravesavers
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 2
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...
One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2) The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8) The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1) Schooled Swindle