Start by marking “One silent sleepless night” as Want to Read:
One silent sleepless night

One silent sleepless night

This is a record of one silent, sleepless night which I spent in 1957 in a bedroom on the third floor of the Mission Home in New York City following major surgery in which I lost one vocal cord and part of another, and then had staph infection following the surgery.
Published January 1st 1975 by Bookcraft

To ask other readers questions about One silent sleepless night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One silent sleepless night

Rayni
Sep 18, 2008 Rayni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, memoirs
Excellent. I loved this book.

Edited to add: I met President Kimball in 1976 while working in the Missionary Dept of the LDS Church corporate offices in Salt Lake City. He was an unlikely candidate to lead a world-wide church because of his health problems.

So, I can honestly say that the reason I loved this book is because of the man, but I can also relate to the agony & soul-searching brought on by the surgery resulting in loss of his vocal chords.

The complete loss of hearing in one ear r
Suzanne
Aug 26, 2015 Suzanne rated it liked it
Very short read.
Greg
Really a personal essay more than a book, and it gave me the feeling that President Kimball wrote it as much to work out his own thoughts, fears, and concerns as to help other people in difficult circumstances. Nonetheless, it has often helped others, including myself. In the book, he reflects on the mental and emotional anxiety he experienced after difficult surgey, the self-doubts, the concerns for the future, and the fears for others who would be affected by the likely outcomes of the surgery ...more
Alexis
Oct 09, 2014 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Such a beatifully written book! I have always had a special place in my heart for President Kimball and this just solidified my feelings for the amazing man. It was such an insight into the man himself and so clearly helped me to understand better not only him but my own father who has been through something similar. I times I was very emotional thinking how awful this kind of an experience must have been for my own Dad.But ultimately I love how he ends his story "TIME has been resurrected, peac ...more
Dahlene
Jul 20, 2008 Dahlene rated it really liked it
This book was a very quick read, but really nice. I read it in just a couple hours. I learned a lot about President Kimball that I didn't know. It was neat to hear about his experience after his throat surgery and all the worries and doubts that went through his mind at that time. It goes to show that an apostle of the Lord is just a man on the Lord's errand. Later he became our beloved prophet with that raspy voice we will never forget.
David
Feb 24, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Terrific. I am so in love with 1970s-era artistic expressions of Mormonism and this is a great indication of why. There's a connection to the cosmos here, an insistence on striving for the eternal now, that is no longer in vogue in these circles. The spirituality is inherent on every page but is never hammered - the suggestions are strong enough. Content and form are beautifully intertwined to make a compelling examination on thought, pondering, memory and answers that come after a long night.
Sandy
Jun 28, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
I read this book a long time ago. It wasn't what I expected it to be. It was about one night that President Kimball couldn't sleep because if his health and he basically told what was on his mind. I have thought of this book so many times in my life when I couldn't sleep for various reasons and felt comforted that a prophet of the Lord has felt some of the same things.
Etta Mcquade
Feb 28, 2010 Etta Mcquade rated it really liked it
Pres. Kimball's first-hand account of his long night's experience following his 1957 throat surgery, wherein he reviews the memories of his childhood, the death of his mother at his age of 11, his call to the apostleship, and his marriage, are all written in a poignant way. He has a nice way with words, such as, "The bugs camae marching out for the night follage."
Deanna
Jul 13, 2008 Deanna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Deanna by: My Mom
Shelves: biography-auto
This book is the about President Kimball and a night after he had surgery. He was unable to sleep and so it's about his reflections from his life. It's the second time I've read it. I reread it for a book club. It's very short. I'm sure it's out of print now. If you ever see it and want to read it-great, if you don't come across it than don't worry about it.
Robin
Nov 20, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing
President Kimball was an inspiring prophet to me, he was the prophet of my youth, my Seminary days when my testimony was solidified and strengthened. His signature is on my mission call. This book is a treasure to me as it described one of the darkest moments in his life, and how he came through it.
Em7ar7
Dec 30, 2009 Em7ar7 rated it liked it
Pres Kimball reminiscing about past experiences as he is kept awake by pain after the operation on his vocal chords. very interesting. Made me want to write a more detailed personal history of my own.
Cheryl
Oct 17, 2007 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I received this book while in college, and it served to inspire me to achieve everything I possibly could, in spite of obstacles. His ponderings while in tribulation were of such a spiritual nature. It was not a pity party, as many of us would have done. What a man, what a book!
Trelesa
Mar 13, 2012 Trelesa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the memories shared throughout the very short book. It was an interesting combination of a mini-autobiography and a personal account of the worries and pain he felt due to his throat surgery. I could hear his wonderfully unique voice as I read.
Jean
Jan 29, 2008 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Wonderful account of working through a night of mental agony, caused by tremendous physical hardship.
Suzanne
Jan 13, 2009 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
A good loving book to read late at night when you are feeling sad and alone. I learned to ask more questions of my Elders as in the people who lived during the early part of last century.
Chris King
Aug 03, 2011 Chris King rated it really liked it
Shelves: church
very personal little book, great read
Melanie Sanwo
Sep 04, 2010 Melanie Sanwo marked it as to-read
Shelves: spirituality
Recommended by Kristi Lawrence
Don Gubler
Aug 24, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
This is kind of haunting. God can save a future prophet. Am I worth saving and at what price?
Tyler
Mar 31, 2008 Tyler rated it it was amazing
A quick wonderful read.
Eileen Rose
Mar 06, 2012 Eileen Rose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Eileen Rose by: Sister Ann Schlag
I love this book, like I loved President Kimball! It's an easy read,only 63 pages, yet so powerful! He tells many memories he had as a child, missionary & Apostle, while lying awake in a hospital bed following sugery, wondering if he would ever be able to preach again! Beautifully written, it carries you away to many places around the globe,in another era, which lacked many of the convienences we have today. The true stories are humble to heart wrenching. It's a wonderful introduction for ch ...more
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2017 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Sweet to read of the prophet's experience one silent sleepless night. It has helped me endure many of my own.
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2009
Laura rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2010
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2009
June
June rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Clayton Chase
Clayton Chase rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2011
Doug Preston
Doug Preston rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Teaching, No Greater Call: A Resource Guide for Gospel Teaching (1981)
  • Drawing on the Powers of Heaven
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • The Faith of a Scientist
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • Doctrinal New Testament Commentary: Volumes 1-3
  • Meek and Lowly
193170
Born on March 28, 1895, in Salt Lake City, Spencer W. Kimball grew up in Thatcher, Arizona. After completing a mission and marrying Camilla Eyring, he settled in Safford, Arizona, to raise his family and run an insurance business. Years of Church and community leadership preceded his calling as an Apostle in 1943. Overcoming severe health problems, he became Church President on December 30, 1973, ...more
More about Spencer W. Kimball...