One silent sleepless night

One silent sleepless night

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This is a record of one silent, sleepless night which I spent in 1957 in a bedroom on the third floor of the Mission Home in New York City following major surgery in which I lost one vocal cord and part of another, and then had staph infection following the surgery.
Published January 1st 1975 by Bookcraft

To ask other readers questions about One silent sleepless night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One silent sleepless night

Rayni
Excellent. I loved this book.

Edited to add: I met President Kimball in 1976 while working in the Missionary Dept of the LDS Church corporate offices in Salt Lake City. He was an unlikely candidate to lead a world-wide church because of his health problems.

So, I can honestly say that the reason I loved this book is because of the man, but I can also relate to the agony & soul-searching brought on by the surgery resulting in loss of his vocal chords.

The complete loss of hearing in one ear r...more
Eileen Rose
Mar 06, 2012 Eileen Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Eileen Rose by: Sister Ann Schlag
I love this book, like I loved President Kimball! It's an easy read,only 63 pages, yet so powerful! He tells many memories he had as a child, missionary & Apostle, while lying awake in a hospital bed following sugery, wondering if he would ever be able to preach again! Beautifully written, it carries you away to many places around the globe,in another era, which lacked many of the convienences we have today. The true stories are humble to heart wrenching. It's a wonderful introduction for ch...more
Greg
Really a personal essay more than a book, and it gave me the feeling that President Kimball wrote it as much to work out his own thoughts, fears, and concerns as to help other people in difficult circumstances. Nonetheless, it has often helped others, including myself. In the book, he reflects on the mental and emotional anxiety he experienced after difficult surgey, the self-doubts, the concerns for the future, and the fears for others who would be affected by the likely outcomes of the surgery...more
Dahlene
This book was a very quick read, but really nice. I read it in just a couple hours. I learned a lot about President Kimball that I didn't know. It was neat to hear about his experience after his throat surgery and all the worries and doubts that went through his mind at that time. It goes to show that an apostle of the Lord is just a man on the Lord's errand. Later he became our beloved prophet with that raspy voice we will never forget.
Sandy
I read this book a long time ago. It wasn't what I expected it to be. It was about one night that President Kimball couldn't sleep because if his health and he basically told what was on his mind. I have thought of this book so many times in my life when I couldn't sleep for various reasons and felt comforted that a prophet of the Lord has felt some of the same things.
Etta Mcquade
Pres. Kimball's first-hand account of his long night's experience following his 1957 throat surgery, wherein he reviews the memories of his childhood, the death of his mother at his age of 11, his call to the apostleship, and his marriage, are all written in a poignant way. He has a nice way with words, such as, "The bugs camae marching out for the night follage."
Deanna
Jul 15, 2008 Deanna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Deanna by: My Mom
Shelves: biography-auto
This book is the about President Kimball and a night after he had surgery. He was unable to sleep and so it's about his reflections from his life. It's the second time I've read it. I reread it for a book club. It's very short. I'm sure it's out of print now. If you ever see it and want to read it-great, if you don't come across it than don't worry about it.
Robin
President Kimball was an inspiring prophet to me, he was the prophet of my youth, my Seminary days when my testimony was solidified and strengthened. His signature is on my mission call. This book is a treasure to me as it described one of the darkest moments in his life, and how he came through it.
Cheryl
I received this book while in college, and it served to inspire me to achieve everything I possibly could, in spite of obstacles. His ponderings while in tribulation were of such a spiritual nature. It was not a pity party, as many of us would have done. What a man, what a book!
Trelesa
I enjoyed the memories shared throughout the very short book. It was an interesting combination of a mini-autobiography and a personal account of the worries and pain he felt due to his throat surgery. I could hear his wonderfully unique voice as I read.
Em7ar7
Pres Kimball reminiscing about past experiences as he is kept awake by pain after the operation on his vocal chords. very interesting. Made me want to write a more detailed personal history of my own.
Suzanne
A good loving book to read late at night when you are feeling sad and alone. I learned to ask more questions of my Elders as in the people who lived during the early part of last century.
Jean
Wonderful account of working through a night of mental agony, caused by tremendous physical hardship.
Don Gubler
This is kind of haunting. God can save a future prophet. Am I worth saving and at what price?
Chris King
very personal little book, great read
Melanie
Sep 04, 2010 Melanie marked it as to-read
Recommended by Kristi Lawrence
Tyler
A quick wonderful read.
Karma
Karma marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kristi
Kristi added it
Aug 15, 2014
Joseph Okon
Joseph Okon marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Proceed Sibanda
Proceed Sibanda marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Feb 19, 2014
Gina Christopherson
Gina Christopherson marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
193170
Born on March 28, 1895, in Salt Lake City, Spencer W. Kimball grew up in Thatcher, Arizona. After completing a mission and marrying Camilla Eyring, he settled in Safford, Arizona, to raise his family and run an insurance business. Years of Church and community leadership preceded his calling as an Apostle in 1943. Overcoming severe health problems, he became Church President on December 30, 1973,...more
More about Spencer W. Kimball...
The Miracle of Forgiveness Faith Precedes the Miracle Marriage Tragedy or Destiny Woman