Start by marking “Generation of Vipers” as Want to Read:
Generation of Vipers

Generation of Vipers

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Perhaps the most vitriolic attack ever launched on the American way of living -- from politicians to professors to businessmen to Mom to sexual mores to religion -- "Generation of Vipers"?ranks with the works of De Tocqueville and Emerson in defining the American character and malaise.
Published September 1st 1996 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Generation of Vipers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generation of Vipers

Michael
I found this book at a bus stop when I was a teenager. It's mind-opening effect was profound and indelible. It seemed that the book had been left there for me to find. Ever since, I have not been able to convince myself that the universe is totally indifferent.
Mike
Seems I read once that Wylie wrote this book during a week-long drunken rage, locked in a NYC hotel room just after the outbreak of the Second World War. You can tell.
This book changed my worldview. "Generation of Vipers" is the most blistering condemnation of American culture (or lack of it) that I have ever seen, or can possibly imagine. Wylie is violently anti-war, anti-ignorance and anti-hypocrisy.
In a series of brief essays, Wylie absolutely unloads both barrels into the face of politics
Peter Lindsay
Apr 17, 2008 Peter Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a critical mind
Recommended to Peter by: communists
Although it could be construed as an exercise in paranoia this book is a fun read. Everyone, bankers, doctors, professors, gets a piece from Mr. Wiley so don't fret. Read it, be offended, and deal.
Daniel
I read an earlier edition in the 1950s.

One of the really good books
Richard Lennox
As a radicalized college student in the late 60's, a creative writing instructor pointed this book out to me. It had the intended effect 0n me: there is nothing new to rebel against... It was still the same culture then, (as it still is now in 2012) We are still a loose knit society, saying one thing... Doing another... A blistering inditement of our beliefs and our actions from an extremely perceptive eye. It will shatter some taken-for-granted personal beliefs, that deserve to be shattered... ...more
Lancelot Fletcher
I read this book in 1954 when I was 13. I thought it was great then. I am not sure I would have the same opinion if I were to reread it now.
Michelle
Mar 30, 2014 Michelle is currently reading it
Wow. This is a book to keep.
Travis Gee
Like most, the initial sense of amazement at Wylie's depth of insight as a social critic left me with a lingering question about each 'new' issue that pops up... "Now what was it Wylie said about that?" If it doesn't spring straight to mind I go back to that well-worn first edition.
C F
This is a great, long-forgotten scathing examination of American morality and society. A bit too misogynistic for my taste, however.
Bimbo
Bimbo marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Joseph Nicolello
Joseph Nicolello marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Jeanne Dybus-turkenkopf
Jeanne Dybus-turkenkopf marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ukifune
Ukifune marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
books2thesky
books2thesky marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Shoeless
Shoeless is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Leanna Kowallis
Leanna Kowallis marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Dec 21, 2014
Nubia Pedraza
Nubia Pedraza marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Diana Duncan
Diana Duncan marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Cloudjumper
Cloudjumper marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Corey Chandler
Corey Chandler marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Sasha
Sasha added it
Nov 13, 2014
Talbi Wan
Talbi Wan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Joe Gerstner
Joe Gerstner marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Sherrod
Sherrod marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Vipers' relevance today 1 4 Dec 03, 2013 07:36PM
  • The Past and the Punishments
  • Paths of Glory
  • The Middle Passage
  • The Russians
  • The Uprooted: The Epic Story of the Great Migrations that Made the American People
  • Please Don't Call Me Human
  • In Search of the Big Bang
  • World of Our Fathers: The Journey of the East European Jews to America and the Life They Found and Made
  • Plumb (Plumb, #1)
  • The Bending Cross: A Biography of Eugene Victor Debs
  • Memories of My Father Watching TV
  • El embrujo de Shanghai
  • The Lunar Men: Five Friends Whose Curiosity Changed the World
Born in Beverly, Massachusetts, he was the son of Presbyterian minister Edmund Melville Wylie and the former Edna Edwards, a novelist, who died when Philip was five years old. His family moved to Montclair, New Jersey and he later attended Princeton University from 1920–1923. He married Sally Ondek, and had one child, Karen, an author who became the inventor of animal "clicker" training. After a d ...more
More about Philip Wylie...
When Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #1) After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2) Gladiator The Disappearance When Worlds Collide / After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #1-2)

“The businessmen have corrupted liberty by trying to propose it as a material quality.” 4 likes