Start by marking “You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls” as Want to Read:
You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls

You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  49 reviews
You Can Do It! is the vision of Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas, a heroine of United Flight 93 and a woman who was an inspiration to all who knew her. Lauren's dream was to create the ultimate self-empowering resource, a book to help women of all ages realize their dreams. Inspired by her beloved Girl Scout badges, nurtured to publication by her family and friendsled by Lauren's ...more
Published March 24th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Do It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Do It!

I love this book! The concept is just so fun and a natural to those of us who like to learn/try new things and earn a little recognition along the way. The premise of "Dare to Dream, Learn Something New and Do Something Just for You" is a wonderful way to inspire women to get together and learn from each other. The story of how the book came to be is inspiring in itself. Initially begun by Lauren Grandcolas, her work was interrupted by 9/11. She died on United Flight 93. Her loving sisters, Vaug ...more
I return to this book again and again for ideas on what to do with my friends when we get together or for myself when I need a pick-me-up in the middle of the winter! This book is an incredible resource of information and ideas, articles and websites to complete 60 "merit badges" like negotiating, personal style, and strengthening your relationships. There are actual merit badges included with the book, and you will treasure each and every one of them. A motivating message for any woman looking ...more
the production of this book - which occurred after the tragic death of lauren grandcolas on september 11, 2001 - is an amazing story in itself. i love the topics, the suggestions, the merit badges, the fact that the mentors who contributed to each topic make themselves available to be contacted, on and on and on....a great addition to any woman's bookshelf. great graduation gift - birthday gift - anyday gift. a fun resource, and an inspiring set of suggestions for trying something new.
I found this book in the used bookstore I wrote about before.
It's such a treasure.
Every chapter is a about a skill or an opportunity to experience something you haven't before. There are steps to get it done and earn a badge (they've got sticker badge for every one if them at the end of the book).
And they also feature someone. Who's an expert in that field and tells you their point of you. It can take something that looks so ordinary, like knitting for example. And turns it into something so i
I loved this book. From the touching posthumous dedication, to the zaniest chapter. If I ever feel down- I grab this book and dream big. I haven't actually gone through with any of the tasks described- but that is just the procrastinator in me.
Some of these are silly, but it is still fun and motivating to read. This was written by a passenger who was killed on Flight (?) in Pennsylvania during the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Her sister proceeded to have it published following her death.
This book is great fun for former Girl Scouts, or any women who like learning new skills and meeting new challenges. And it's fun to see how many skills you're already acquired, and to give yourself a pat on the back, or better yet, a badge!
I really loved the spirit of this book, and the step-by-step way the author opens up doing those things you've always wanted to do, but have never done. I read most of the text; now I need to go back through and pick what I want to do first!
Feb 09, 2008 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All women
Recommended to Jo by: found in bookstore
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
I love this book. Wow!
It is set up like a giant scout's book for women. All kinds of subject, mentors. Girls of all ages should have this.
I fell in love with it and then read the intro that the author parished on 9/11. So sad.
This is a long-term read intended to make you do things and think outside the box. I am really enjoying reading the individual sections and challenging myself to accomplish the goals. I have 2 complete to date!
My Mom gave me this for Christams. I found it really inspiring. Be sure to take from it what you need. If you don't want to skydive or go to Jamacia, don't. I made croissants and felt quite proud of myself!
Jan 15, 2009 Shanna added it
I am still reading this book. It is quite interesting and has given me lots to think about. Because of the nature of this book, it might be on my currently reading shelf for quite some time.
While I think this is totally fun and cute, it's not like I'm going to be working on them any time soon! It was fun to flip through, but that's about it.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
I looked for this book for I watched an interview with a sister of the author on Veria TV. The two sisters saw this book through publishing after the death of the author on United Flight 93 on September 11, 2001.

I liked the idea of using this book as a catalog of 59 merit badges as a starting point to accomplish something new with a mentor and enough small steps in order to feel as if you had a good introduction to a new activity. Even in those areas in which I already earned a merit badge, thi
Wow! I feel really, really good about myself after reading this. I’ve done all the merit badge tasks except for stand-up comedy, firewalking, gardening, beading, starting a rock band, aviation, film making, wine appreciation, negotiating, skydiving, participating in a triatholon, scuba diving, billiards, investing, estate planning, car care, computer care, home maintenance, and genealogy.

Two-thirds ain’t bad! I think what this book really does well is help you define your goals, figure out the
Mar 17, 2008 Annie marked it as to-read
Not a book you just sit down and read. It's mildly useful when you aren't quite sure how to go about something, but mostly, I guess it's for folks who have trouble thinking up what crazy thing they want to do next. Now I've surfed (not the way the book said) and done some traveling (though I didn't read that section well before I planned and executed my trip) and there isn't a section on "When you decide you want to build a shed and aren't quite sure how to do it so you check out some books and ...more
Donna Brown
Has some nice resource material. Thumbed through the entire book and read areas specific to what I am interested. This is one of those reference books I plan to keep on my shelf.

I can see this as a tool to be used in a women's groups. Each person could pick a chapter of interest and follow the steps in the book. Want to learn how to dance? Here's the steps you would take. Want to learn how to quilt? Start here. Need more reference material, go here. If you love what you've accomplished you can g
I thought this was a nice idea, but it doesn't tell you how to do anything, just gives you ideas on things to learn/do. I thought it might include a few diagrams and a pattern for knitting, for example, but it just tells you to find someone to teach you. I didn't find this book to be beneficial at all. I guess if you're bored and need ideas on something to do, this might be of use to you.
Blah...thought it would be more original, but the book suggested the same vague hobbies and goals as most self-exploration books.
Shasta Patterson
I saw a review on this somewhere and really thought it was going to be a checklist type thing of "things to do before you die" kinda thing. I went to the bookstore and it was very disappointing. It was more a "how to" dream, get motivated, get organized, research things to do, etc. kinda thing. I really thought it was going to be a "earn a badge" type thing of life skills. It had the typical write a book, jump out of a plane stuff that is the cliche and lifetime achievements thing that not every ...more
Cool book. I'm just too busy right now to do these activities with any regularity.
Aug 31, 2015 Sha added it
Recommends it for: every girl in the world
i love this book! it is purely awesome
J. Madison
I absolutely love this book! I had forgotten I had it when I moved so I "found" it in a box! It just let's you really say okay I am going to enjoy my life on purpose & try some new things without force! It is a must have & I will definitely be sharing it for generations!

I may not ever be actually finished with this book because of all the actual activities but I am clearing it from my list as I have read all of the "reading" section & completed some of the adventures.
concept and production of this book is fabulous.
Great book! As a lifelong Scout, I was excited to see something based off of Scouting. The project ideas and activities cover a broad range of topics that would appeal to many different people. It's a fun, inspiring read, and I look forward to embarking on more of the activities!
I love this book...all us "girls" have so many accomplishments in our day to day lives...this book gives us the chance to pat ourselves on the back in celebration of a little "girl power" as well as giving some ideas for future projects.
May 28, 2013 Pea. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
too motivational, group activity oriented for my tastes... conceptually i will thumb thru this book over and over. pondering reworking the ideas for 'I'm bored' activity ideas to do with the Goos.
i am a sucker for a merit badge.
It has certainly made my to-do list longer. It has some nice inspiring ideas in it and points you in the direction for additional resources (ex. negotiate: lists books websites workshops and magazines).
Nicole Shelby
Interesting book for giving a basic guide to "getting into" anything - from creating a rock band to becoming a yogi. Takes every goal seriously and provides direction for accomplishing it.
  • The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living
  • Live Your Best Life: A Treasury of Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews and Inspiration from O, The Oprah Magazine
  • Super Crafty: Over 75 Amazing How-To Projects
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • The Cute Book
  • A Kick in the Seat of the Pants: using your explorer, artist, judge, & warrior to be more creative
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Take Care of Yourself: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Medical Self-care
  • It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: How To Create Your Second Life At Any Age
You Can Do It! Workbook You Can Do It!: Deluxe Gift Set You Can Do It! Buy 6, Get 1 Free