Start by marking “Samuel Blink and the Runaway Troll” as Want to Read:
Samuel Blink and the Runaway Troll

Samuel Blink and the Runaway Troll (Shadow Forest #2)

When Troll-Son runs away from home, he decides to leave the Shadow Forest behind and move in with his idol, Samuel Blink. Samuel isn't thrilled with the idea of hiding a runaway troll, especially one who copies everything he does, even (ugh!) using his toothbrush. But should Samuel return Troll-Son to the Shadow Forest? After all, he's running from something . . . what dan ...more
Published September 4th 2008 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Samuel Blink and the Runaway Troll, please sign up.

Audrey There is a lot of focus on the death of the parents and how that emotionally effects Samuel and Martha. However, most of the books in this age group…moreThere is a lot of focus on the death of the parents and how that emotionally effects Samuel and Martha. However, most of the books in this age group seem to have orphaned protagonists because in general it must be thought parents wouldn't let their kids get into as many adventures (or trouble). Most of the kids I have recommended this to are about fourth grade level and they love it, but you would be the best judge in regards to your son. Maybe try finding it at the library or on overdrive (free ebooks through your library)--then you could read the first few chapters and decide whether it is appropriate. (less)

Barbara
Nov 01, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Samuel is a ten-year-old boy that lives with his sister, aunt and uncle. His parents have recently died. Troll-Son is a young troll, living in a Forbidden Forest close to Samuel. Samuel and Troll-Son have met in a previous book. (It is not necessary to have read Samuel Blink and the Forbidden Forest to follow this story).

Troll-Son's mother has decided to send him to the Betterer, a mean troll that doesn't like that he's a troll and so tortures young troll's in the name of making them Better. Whe
Sophie
Jun 26, 2010 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, uk-author
The Runaway Troll is a fabulously funny and magical tale that will delight boys and girls of all ages.

I love the style that Matt Haig wrote The Runaway Troll in. it felt like he was telling me the story. Before the story began, we were introduced to each of the central characters with a mini bio which I think is a really brilliant idea. There were also small chapters that were interruptions form the author giving necessary back-story and telling his readers that creatures like trolls really do
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Ashley B for TeensReadToo.com

Samuel and Martha Blink just moved to Norway to live with their Aunt Eda and Uncle Henrick after their parents died in a car accident. It's time for school to start, and they must keep their mouths shut (especially Martha) about what is really in Shadow Forest. If anyone found out, they would be in trouble for keeping it a secret.

Troll-Son and his family live in Shadow Forest. Troll-Mother is going to send him to the Betterer (the worst place imaginable
Wes Young
Jan 21, 2011 Wes Young rated it liked it
First of all, I'm perfectly willing to admit that I may have read this book at a time when I'm kind of down on books in general. It clouds judgements, makes you bored, craving that "wow!", that "it" quality. Therefore, with an indifferent heart I declare The Runaway Troll GLORIOUSLY average. Do I think Haig is better suited to adult fiction? Yes. (it didn't stop Margaret Atwood either). Is this book entreating for kids? Probably. It's a little gimmicky, contains several small doses of important ...more
Tami
The second book about Samuel Blink is SAMUEL BLINK AND THE RUNAWAY TROLL. it is an equally fantastic read! You don’t have to read the FORBIDDEN FOREST first, but I do think it enhances the reader’s experience with the second book if you do.

In THE RUNAWAY TROLL we again encounter the one-eyed troll family of the first book. Troll-Son runs away to be with his hero, Samuel Blink. Over the course of his journey he learns much about himself and his family and unwittingly helps Samuel to do the same.
Jazzi
Mar 28, 2012 Jazzi rated it it was amazing
This book is sooo good! I was ten when i read it, so it was a year ago. I bought it in a bookshop thats called 'Waterstone' when i visited the UK. I thought it looked like a book for me when i first saw it, and i had right! So - the book is all about a boy - Samuel Blink - whos parents died (i don't know how, but something fell from the sky, and then BOOOM!!! ...they died....) and moved to Norway with his sister Martha to live with his aunt which was called Eda. I can't say more, then i'll ruin ...more
Ala
Apr 21, 2010 Ala rated it it was amazing
The 2nd installment of the Blink series was just as endearing as the first. The Blink children are getting used to living in Norway, going to school, but the Forest involves them in another adventure. The characters develop as their history is revealed. The action is constant, and the adventure does not disappoint.
Greg
Feb 25, 2012 Greg rated it liked it
Samuel and his sister Martha start another adventure in Norway when a young troll runs away from the forest to find Samuel (who he met in the previous book). Hiding a troll is not easy and it leads to some interesting situations where a resue must be initiated.

This book is for kids, but it has a few tense moments.
Cheese K
Aug 16, 2016 Cheese K rated it really liked it
This book is about Troll-son ran away from home from something to Samuel and copies whatever Samuel does, even using his toothbrush. But when Samuel thought that Troll-son should go back home something happen.
I like it when Troll-son ran away from home because he wanted Samuels help and nobody helped him except for Samuel. Why did Troll-son think Samuel can help him?
Julie
Jan 30, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
Everyone was kind of mean and nasty in this book, and, like the first book, there was really not much on character development or personal growth (where there could have been). And the story just sort of magically resolved itself.
Beka
Mar 11, 2015 Beka rated it really liked it
Another fun look into the inhabitants of the forbidden forest.
Evansmom
Jun 03, 2016 Evansmom rated it really liked it
AR BOOK 4.9/11 Pts.
Aisha
Nov 14, 2012 Aisha rated it really liked it
I think that this book is really good and I think that there should be a third book. The first was also very good.

I could have finished it in one day. Sorry about the hosting.
Gabrielle Brazzell
This is a pretty good book. I don't think its as good as the first one.
Sophie
Aug 08, 2014 Sophie added it
Favourite book as a child.
Emmy
Mar 01, 2009 Emmy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: read the 1rst book, 1rst :) it makes more sense that way
Recommended to Emmy by: well... jane reaccomended the 1rst book to me
Shelves: favorite-series
This book was pretty good!
Josh Dygert
Josh Dygert rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2016
10brucad
10brucad rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2012
Mom
Mom rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Freya Napier
Freya Napier rated it liked it
May 06, 2013
Nachiketa
Nachiketa rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Neha
Neha rated it really liked it
May 01, 2010
Duyen Bui
Duyen Bui rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Jane Komolova
Jane Komolova rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Anjali Gladson
Anjali Gladson rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Tasha
Tasha rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2008
Benjamin Barnard
Benjamin Barnard rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Shawna
Shawna rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • No Other Story (Whole Nother Story, #3)
  • Fairy Tales
  • Yeah, I Said It
  • NonNonBa
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
  • Simon's Cat: Feed Me!
  • Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (43 Old Cemetery Road, #3)
  • The Stinking: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons
  • The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec 1: Pterror Over Paris/The Eiffel Tower Demon
  • Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids
  • Sebastian Darke: Prince of Explorers (Sebastian Darke, #3)
  • Britten and Brülightly
  • The Fun House
  • How Loathsome
  • My Dirty Dumb Eyes
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more
More about Matt Haig...